The new photography thread -any subject - don't be shy!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kestrel13!, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

A new year... a new capture. I managed to get out today for the first time in a long time, just for an hour or so. This is a female House Sparrow who was resting in the bushes.

[​IMG]

mag00, drcarl, Imandy Mann and 4 others like this.
  2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

:)Enjoying the photography everyone!

Kestrel13! likes this.
  3. Kestrel13!

I'm pleased you enjoy seeing the images katkat. I absolutely love photography.

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

Kestrel13! Awesome pics you make! Am enjoying them tremendously. :)

Kestrel13! likes this.
  5. Kestrel13!

Thankyou very much oma!! :)

6. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Image2.jpg

Buddy of mine shreddin'

DavidGP and Kestrel13! like this.
  7. Kestrel13!

Great image, CP! Did you take this?

8. Corporal Punishment

Yup ;) Rock photographyis sorta my "thing".

IMG_7946a.jpg

9. Corporal Punishment

IMG_6248a4x6.jpg

But I have been known to shoot the odd insect here and there.

mag00, Kestrel13! and Imandy Mann like this.
  10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ha!
    Wish I could 'shred' my hair. :D :p

Kestrel13! likes this.
  11. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Great shots! I love the little bird, Em. Awesome shot of the dude playing as well, CP :)

I haven't gotten out lately. The last time I was out shooting there were flowers blooming. :(

There is a photography competition coming up that I have to submit this Sunday for. The theme is 'Three'. I think maybe I'll take a drive today and look for some things to shoot that could work.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  12. Kestrel13!

Well that is absolutely gorgeous, CP. What a fab shot!

Thanks Laura! They are flitty little things, I felt quite lucky to grab a piccy. lol
    Hope you manage to find some time to have a wander round with your camera, Laura, even if it's only somewhere quite local. Amazing what hidden beauties are dotted around.
    Oh now this sounds extremely interesting!! Best of luck with it, you could pick flowers, (if there are any about), trees, birds, people, the number three... the options are endless. Let me know what you submit, perhaps post here for us to see? :)

I've been out a few times already this year with my camera.... weather has been kind enough to allow for opportunities in between all the heavy rains...

Corporal Punishment likes this.
  13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Wow Jim, neato pictures.

Corporal Punishment likes this.
  14. Kestrel13!

Went and had an hour long walk about yesterday with my friend. It's been very cold here lately and a frost has settled.....

[​IMG]

Eldon likes this.
  15. Kestrel13!

One more from yesterday...

[​IMG]

Sgt. Tibbs and DavidGP like this.
  16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Going through loads of old family pictures and many are from pre 1900 and most from 1920s to 80s, some with me in them ahhh but the below one is of Conwy Castle in North Wales in the 1920s

Attached Files:

Kestrel13! and _nullptr like this.
  17. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

There's much talent in this thread...some really beautiful work capturing the essence of Nature.

Here's the master of the house in command atop kitchen cabinet...
    upload_2016-2-1_22-29-26.png

Kestrel13! likes this.
  18. Kestrel13!

Aww he is beautiful... like a mini panther sprawled out like that :) Gorgeous great big green eyes. What's his name, LS?

19. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Thanks...he (Amon) thinks he's cute too:D

Kestrel13! likes this.
  20. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Been a while... First shot is from my spotlight position at our AHL team's game the other night. Second one is yesterday afternoon out my kitchen window, just after several hours of rain that melted a bunch of snow and caused really cool ground fog.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Kestrel13!

Lovely captures, Sgt Tibbs!

22. Kestrel13!

Time for a little break. Thought I'd upload a piccy....

A European Robin singing loudly and proudly from his little spot in the hedge

[​IMG]

katkat, Eldon, satrow and 1 other person like this.
  23. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Gee Kes, you got him to say "Cheese"!

Kestrel13! likes this.
  24. Kestrel13!

25. Kestrel13!

Been out and about to a local country park today, spent some time in a bird hide, freezing cold but got some good shots.

Here's one of my fave birds, European Robin. About to delve into those broken up peanuts.

[​IMG]

katkat likes this.
  26. Kestrel13!

Thought I'd post another as I'm sat down with a coffee....

Male Reed Bunting....

[​IMG]

Eldon and satrow like this.
  27. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Kestrel.
    You have a great eye. Keep shooting! (How could we not?)
    Curious: How long is your long lens? Is it a Canon? (Canons are usually a little soft).
    Thanks for posting.
    Here is one 'given' to me by this nice bird.

"Great photographs are not taken, they are given."

[​IMG]

28. Kestrel13!

I absolutely love that: "Great photographs are not taken they are given" :)
    What a fantastic shot that is!! What set up have you got there? Is that a Ruby throated Humming bird?
    I'm not sure how long my lens is, it's only little, I use a Canon Powershot SX510 (bridge camera) my Dad bought it for me last Christmas. I love it, but am looking forward to upgrading to a DSLR when finances can allow.

29. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Kes, thanks.

Wow. A $100 Powershot? Just goes to show that it's not the equipment, it's the photographer. Thanks for the confirmation about it being a Canon. Women (especially) love their shots taken with a Canon lens because the typically soft Canons hide, um, things. I prefer and recommend Nikons so that shots can be tack sharp. I can soften things later in Photoshop, yet there is only a certain amount of sharpening that can be done after the fact. Go Nikon.

This Site <--is very useful. Very. Besides being a giant forum of real users, and an impressive array of very detailed reviews, the people are amazing. I will always remember how this one photographer charged a bunch of money to shoot a wedding and messed-up bad. All of the images were some kind of wrecked and the work it would take to salvage anything was too much for one newbie photographer. So, someone got the idea to share the load. They spread a whole buncha shots out between a whole buncha pro photographers who all pitched-in and salvaged a few shots each...for fun...and free. I love stories like that. *wipes tear*

Imaging sensors and optics have come SO far, I am kind of blown away. Megapixels are NOT the whole story. That said, my stupid PHONE (16 MP front-facing camera; Samsung Note 4) beats my 6 MP Canon CAMERA (10D) with the $1200 lens I have on it - IF there is no zooming involved. The phones usually only have digital zoom and should pretty much NEVER be used. I disable digi-zoom on point and shoot cameras, and always set all cameras to the largest file size possible. So what if I can only take 450 shots instead of 3,200 - lol.

Optical zoom is another matter; the glass moves. The $1200 camera lens slays the phone with its optical zooming...as well it should. Your camera has optical zoom that in 35mm film equivalents is a 24-720mm. SEVEN TWENTY! Sheesh. No wonder they look like they are shot with a super long lens.

My next upgrade will be to sell the zoom I have (the pro "L-series" lenses retain about 85% of their value!) and get into a Nikon. I am really extremely tempted by--> THIS <-- new camera. Don't have the money right now. Watch the videos and prepare to be blown away. I wonder what will come next?

The bird is a Rufous...and I am not sure if the color "rufous brown" got its name from the bird, or verse-visa. I tempt them with sugar water. They fly right up to my open window, but one little move or noise scares them away. I can hold still for a long time. That's not a problem. To counter the noise part, I put on some loud music, like LOUD. As long as it stays the same (loud) they don't mind, and step right up to the bar for a drink. (We call 'em "customers"). With the background and foreground noise, I can shoot from sitting on a stool in front of an open window about a foot away from the feeder and they don't care about the KLUH-KLUNK (mirror up, mirror down) camera noise. And, I am not even trying to shoot in sync with the beat of the music.

Maybe they don't mind because I'm a good Indian - LOL.

Photoshop comes in handy, too.

Happy shooting!

#1 anon  copy.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  30. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

One more good tip.

Want to be known as a great photographer?
    Share ONLY your best shots.

[​IMG]

Kestrel13! and Imandy Mann like this.
  31. Kestrel13!

Hi drcarl,

Yea cost just £100 at the time. I would absolutely love a Nikon, that will be the path I take when the time comes. The Canon does take sharp images, I just have a habit of running them thru an editor and sometimes apply effects such as a complex vignette. :) That is a marvellous shot of the rainbow!!

32. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

A fish eating European Robin sequence for you, Kes ;) Na, not by me.

(I watched one trying to eat a freshly frozen to death sheep once! Well, it wasn't trying to eat all of it... )

Eldon and Kestrel13! like this.
  33. Kestrel13!

That is amazing satrow! Thanks! I have saved the link to show the guys and gals in my local facebook nature group!
    That must have been quite a sight to see one nibbling at the dead sheep, too! I have seen something on springwatch or similar showing a lot of them pecking at a dead deer carcas.

34. satrow

The Robin vs dead sheep was at Ynys Hir RSPB reserve after a cold (-10C?) night, pre- dating Spring Watch by a few years, we weren't sure whether to laugh or cry... Nature in the raw, eh?

Other highlights of that weekend might have included Firecrest at Tregaron Bog (Cors Caron) or a Song Thrush on my head, just down the valley from there at Llangybi (that was definitely funny), my notebook's not to hand to check.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  35. Kestrel13!

For sure!! Well try as I might I cannot find the footage of the Robins on the Deer Carcass... :( It was defo on springwatch or winterwatch last year.
    I have never seen a Firecrest before in my life, I live in the wrong part of the UK for them, but I have spent alot of time observing, and TRYING (haha) to photograph Goldcrests. You had a Songthrush land on your head??!

Poor shot of a Goldcrest....

[​IMG]

36. satrow

You're not in the wrong part of the UK for Firecrests! During Winter they can turn up almost anywhere and after a series of warm Winters, their numbers might increase enough that they're found breeding in areas they're not 'supposed' to be breeding in, like above 1700' altitude in the Welsh hills. Also breeding up in the Derbyshire area in recent years. Breeding distribution 2008-11. Recent reports.

That's a pretty good record shot of a Goldcrest, to get much better than that requires some luck and a lot of time and patience - it'll come :D

Yes, it flew in over the top of the house we were staying at and landed sweetly, my mate spotted it and started falling about laughing, "Hey boys, Andy's got a Song Thrush nesting in his hair!", yes, I often have a lot of hair ;) On other occasions I've had a Treecreeper land on my leg and for 3 consecutive years, on the first day that I spotted the returning female Barn Swallow back at her breeding site each of those years, she tugged a strand of my hair during a sneak attack from behind. I guess she'd missed seeing me :)

37. Kestrel13!

Aww satrow... the birds certainly love you :)
    That's awesome about the fact a Firecrest might be seen around my parts! I would love to see one and I would love to get a photo of one displaying with it's little crest out.

38. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

What's for dinner?

Miko (12) (Small).jpg

mag00 and Kestrel13! like this.
  39. Kestrel13!

Awwww!! Is he/she yours?? Adorable!!

_nullptr likes this.
  40. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

She (who is a good boy) went to live with a friend and is very happy in the company of two other parrots. They have their own bedroom and get let out of their cages every day to play throughout the house.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  41. Eldon

Anybody familiar with a Yucca?
    Beautiful flowers for such a releatively plain plant.

Yucca_1.jpg
    Yucca_2.jpg

Imandy Mann, katkat and Kestrel13! like this.
  42. Kestrel13!

How strange and coincidental that you should post this, Eldon. We were round a friend's last night and I was asking him about his healthy looking yucca plant in his lounge room. You're right, the flowers are indeed very beautiful and delicate. Gorgeous plants. How old is this one do you know? Quite a size!

43. Eldon

This one is more than 20 years old.
    Unfortunately, I'm going to have to remove it - it was planted (by the previous owner) too close to my neighbour's garage. The base keeps expanding irregardless of how many times I have lopped it. And it has become to high to maintain.

I hate removing plants and trees. :mad:
    But some people don't think when planting them in a small area, or too close to a structure.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  44. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

RE: what's for dinner?....

I kept threatening the bird I used to have that SHE wold be dinner if she didn't quiet down!

a2.jpg

PS - I would no longer EVER consume KC Masterpiece as it is a non-organic Monsanto product.

mag00 and Kestrel13! like this.
  45. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

We have Yucca but never seen any bigger than 3 feet tall.
    Great pictures everyone.:)

46. Kestrel13!

Beautiful cockatiel!

47. Eldon

Mine is about 18 feet high.

This picture is of a 'spekboom' (Portulacaria afra), aka elephant bush. In front is a 'woestynroes' (Echeveria Albicans), aka desert rose - not to be confused with the other desert rose. And top left is a tomato.

Spekboom, Woestynroos, Tamatie.jpg

Kestrel13! likes this.
  48. Kestrel13!

That tomato is just starting to blush :) Pretty image, Eldon.

49. Kestrel13!

Well before popping into work today, I had a stroll round the cemetery (my local patch for bird photography) I only intended to stay a half hour or so but there was so much to see and so many hungry birdys to feed that I ended up staying for well over an hour despite the cold... my fingers were numb at the end of the session. :D

Here's on of the many captures I took today.... absolutely love Corvids.... intelligent, beautiful creatures.....

This is a Carrion Crow, who's mate was not far away from it, they were hanging out in the trees across the canal on the way into the graveyard.

[​IMG]

Eldon likes this.
  50. Kestrel13!

Couldn't resist sharing another with you guys and gals....

Snowdrops in the evening sunshine....

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds