Windows 10 Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Feb 12, 2016.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Is the only way to get Windows 10 Pro instead of home, by building your own PC?
    Every build by companies I have seen is OEM and Home.
    What is the difference between the two.
    I have Win 10 pro but have not seen Home?

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Look for them in the business section of the maker's or reseller's site or bricks and mortar stores, they'll be near the W7 machines, while they last.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

If I understand you, Windows 10 Pro can be found in a machine like Dell, Lenovo, HP etc.
    You imply they are running short.
    I just want to see about a PC with Windows 10 Pro but this is not likely?
    It then would appear that one must build their own PC to get Pro.
    I have a flash drive for Windows 10 Pro and wonder if I could buy a license from Windows for the $199. price to go along with this media. It was created from an ISO file from Tech Bench so it is WIM and 64 byte.
    However, this would not serve me if I bought a PC and only possibly if I built one.
    TY

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Peter

What feature does Win10 Pro have that you need?
    Click this link HERE and then expand to see the differences from Home to Pro

The difference from Home to Pro in Win10 is not the same as previous Windows versions in which some features you would really have wanted maybe one or two from Pro to go with Pro, now Win10 Home is pretty much getting to what say WinXP Pro was bar a few options, those you'd likely not use unless on a active domain, corp network etc

HP do allow customisation of Desktops to Win10 Pro on some models, and for Laptops you need to go Business class to get this option on again some models, likely other makers may do the same but I only checked HP.

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Good to hear from you.
    I understand that I would likely be OK with 'home' these days, i.e., Win 10 as I don't usually use the other features but would prefer Pro.
    I am deliberating making my own desktop as opposed to buying.
    If the laptop(4+1/2) years old goes, I would get the Chromebook for Sharon so she does not have to maintain Windows as she only emails and surfs. She has zero knowledge of electronics and does not want to learn -hard as I try to help.
    If the desktop goes(same age), I would like to avoid OEM and the clutter manufacturers put in the machines. I have Micro Center right near me. I could get them to do it or do it myself.
    I have replaced minor parts and think I would be OK except for cables and motherboard. I would hope a manual would hep there. PC parts picker does not let you get any parts that are not compatible.I could check out compatibility there and get the components from Micro center.
    TY

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Rather than buy a big name product I used a UK firm of system builders that has built up a solid reputation and was absolutely delighted with end result. I have built my own system in the past but tbh my best efforts don't compare with the products of the established system builders. It was great having the choice of components right down the line and I only hope they survive the huge downturn in the PC market so I can order from them again. You also get the OS version you want.

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

It's coincidental that you mention that option as I was looking at some companies who sell prebuilt machines.
    I found some desktops that had options that I could tailor to my needs..
    Even Pro was available although not a requirement.
    Thank you for encouraging me with that information as I never heard of it.
    I now have to check reputations and call about modifications and warranties

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Actually MicroCenter is almost across the street from me and if you buy the parts from them they assemble the machine for you.
    I am not sure if that is better or worse than the prebuilt idea.
    Any thoughts on the matter?

10. Earthling

As long as you are getting the spec you want and the price is acceptable I can't see it makes a lot of difference. Delivery might be a little quicker with prebuilt - I had to wait three weeks for my custom build.

11. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Well there is always some great satisfaction in building your own desktop PC, I have done this for the last 20yrs, would never buy a OEM desktop now at all, as mentioned its very easy to custom spec what you want in the way of parts, where as OEM can be frustrating to want an SSD but they dont offer one on a specific model but they do on another, however go for the other SSD one and you then cannot spec a specific GFX card!!!

So building yourself the only think is imagination and cash, to get what you want, however there is a small pitfall in doing yourself in that it not working until you work out any tiny steps in putting together you may have missed that one case cable, a errant screw that causes a short etc, custom spec-ing from a system builder can get your that unique PC to your design but without the hassle of building it, but it will cost a little more, but likely are some deals to be made.

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I have decided unless a relative or friend who is very capable offers to help, I will likely go to Micro Center, have them help me pick parts that are compatible with the features I like and build it for me.
    My wife's laptop is easy -Chromebook as she cannot maintain a PC.
    Considering my status as a retiree, would you think i5 3.3 GHz would suffice for a decent build?
    I do no virtual machines or other demanding work other than imaging. As I mentioned earlier, I was told i5 has had its day and soon all will be i 7. Should I get a cooler with the heat sink?
    Also, would a decent on board video/sound card suffice or should I go for a card that is better quality and removable? I have read that a lot of builders hold off until the cash is more ready. It would save me about $300. I could get a build that leaves room for a new video and sound card.
    I think a motherboard would be about $300 and 64 byte.
    Regrading the OS, if installing is just a matter of doing as it has always been i.e., creating partitions to install software, I can do it. Does the drive have to be formatted or just installed? Set the UEFI boot order to boot off the USB installation media?
    I guess the OS would go on the 250 SSD. I was debating not having an HDD b/c now my C: drive shows I use 34 GB out of a TB on a single drive. The one drive seems sufficient- OK?
    Would the installation of the OS on a SSD be the same as doing so on an HDD?
    I could install Win 10 pro now as opposed to home for $50 more.
    Any opinion on optical drives? I do have videos of the family I like to play.
    I would get both USB 3.0 and 2.0.
    I need Blue Tooth but WiFi is debatable.
    I think 16 GB RAM would help it along?
    Of course I would discuss warranties.
    If you have time to correct my plan feel free to do so. And if there is any additional information I can bring with me please let me know.
    Thanks a lot
    Peter

13. Earthling

Your needs are very undemanding peter, both processor-wise and gpu-wise. An i5 would would give you both a very responsive system and save you money and the same goes for the onboard gpu. Get a quiet cpu cooler fan fitted.
    Let the builder install the OS and test it. You will gain next to no $ doing it yourself.
    If that is all you need datawise then yes, even a 250GB SSD is overkill - a 120Gb SSD would be adequate. I prefer a small SSD for the OS and a fast HDD for storing everything else.
    Save your money - you have no need at all for Pro.
    A PC without wifi is like a bicycle without pedals. Non-starter.
    8GB would be more than sufficient.

Those are my thoughts based on my understanding of the type of use you put your machines to.

DavidGP likes this.
  14. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thanks so much for answering all the questions so I can e better armed when I go to MC.
    I am beginning to become familiar with hardware and the amount of RAM and sort of processor I need. I will keep a list of this and again I really appreciate your taking the time.
    Peter

15. DavidGP

I've not much to add to Earthlings great post other than,

Get a good wattage and model PSU, never skimp on this bit and be very weary of ones that come with a desktop case, On SSDs do give a look ta Samsung Evo 850 models as they are really good, I have two of them, and I agree on 8GB or ram as not likely you will be doing ram intensive tasks, and it sounds great having 16GB but many with large amounts are not actually using the full amount, I have 8GB in my desktop and with a few background apps open and Office, Photoshop and i's just nudging using 48% of available ram.

16. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I cannot thank all of you for your notes. I have a list of all you have suggested and will let you know what happens when I complete the thread as I always do.

17. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I just heard from Micro Center. They said they will assemble the parts I buy from them, test the system, update drivers, install Win 10 pro with a 30 day warranty on labor and parts are the manufacturer's warranty. They return the media to me. I guess I would only have to install my Office 2010 if possible and update my printer drivers. Cost is $ 140.
    What do you think?
    Peter.

18. DavidGP

HI Peter

$140 to build and test? not too bad a price really.
    Office 2010 should be fine in W10 and I would uninstall it from a current computer if you have hit your allocation of usable activations (Home and Student has 3 IIRC others are variable, can be a desktop and a portable), at worst you will have to call the activation line but thats fairly painless.

Check that your Printer has W10 drivers

19. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I have installed Office about 10 times. My printer does have drivers that would need updating but that's on me as the printer is here unless I tell them the printers stats, wouldn't you think?

20. DavidGP

Just download current drivers if not already and do the setup yourself Peter as if its a wireless printer you dont want to go giving out router password etc. Get all the setup downloads for your favoured apps already downloaded and saved on USB so your ready to install and setup your new PC as soon as you get it, I tend to use the CCleaner and its Tools > Uninstall > Save to Text File feature to save a list of what I normally install as I do forget some apps at times, so a good way to print out and tick off as you go.

21. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

OK David, I understand. I keep a couple of flash drives with all the driver and install links available.
    I have had issues every time I use Ccleaner even if I use just Windows and tick off couple of entries like temporary files.
    I think only skilled users should use any cleaner. Of course I would never touch the registry cleaner.
    I got my new monitor as the first step to upgrading and it is like night and day. Dell 23" with no borders.
    I gave them my list yet to be modified and it will take 5-7 days to complete once I give the 'go' sign.
    TY

22. DavidGP

What parts have you pre-listed so far?

23. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi David
    I am very glad you can add some refinements as my list is not sufficiently informative. I have to go over the details of them with a tech, but here is what I have dwindled it down to;

1-motherboard- approx cost $219, 64 byte, legacy in the UEFI, blue tooth, WiFi, leave room and height for video and sound cards for later , internet, USB 3.0 + 2.0.
    2-processor- 6th generation i5 3.2 GHz, approx $200, heat sink $130. cooler $64 - 100
    3-RAM - 8 GB $70 expansion slots
    4-DVD-RW 2 bays
    5-I am confused as you recommended Samsung EVO 850-250 GB but it is very under priced at $87 that I am leery that it will not do the job. The EVO Pro is $130. My C: says I am using 37 GB and rest of 1 T is free. Most of the 250 GB SSDs I have seen are in the hundreds.
    Also, I was thinking of using that as my only drive with a space for an HDD if necessary.
    6- Win 10 pro ($200)they install with USB drive. I am unfamiliar with UEFI so think it is better until I learn about the new BIOS. They said they will install with reserve partition if I want at N/C so I figure why not although I will not use it.
    *Should I ask for .WIM for DISM repair options or accept .ESD?
    7- PSU - good wattage(how much) and model around $50?
    8-My Office 20110
    9-case = tall for future video card and clear on one side, $75
    10 -so for a while use the on board video ?$230 and audio cards ?until I save up.
    11- their work is $140 one month labor and parts per manufacturer. I am not sure that is good as I have never gone this route.
    Any recommendations and corrections gladly accepted so when i go to the store I will be better able to present my requests. Would I be better off with a rebuilt?
    TY
    Peter

24. DavidGP

Hi Peter

1. What make and model Motherboard?
    2. What make and model of heatsink and fan/cooler as the price of those is more than the CPU?

5. The Samsung EVO850 while looks like it will not do the job the PRO version is a small increase on speed and has a longer warranty, so PRO is fine but an extra $43. My 850 has a Random read of 554mb/s and Write 519mb/s in real world not makers claim, a benchmark of users HERE and yes use a spare bay for a larger HDD as a data and backup drive.
    6. UEFI BIOS is the way to go they are very easy to master.
    7. Personally I would go for 500w & above I have a 1000w Zalman one that covers all bases, Corsair are a good make and get a modular one.
    9. What brand and model of case? (one with side loading SSD/HDD bays is a must for easy access)
    10. No real need for an audio card unless you are doing pro music as the onboard ones are very good these days, gfx card yes I would get a mid range one in future.
    11. UK is different and seems most custom builders offer 1yr+ warranties on the build and the parts will be makers which can be 1yr or lifetime also, think 1 month on the build is low, think at least 6-12 months is more fair if they are proud of their work.

You mean pre-built? and yes possible if you can find something thats close to your spec, that you can just change or add a few parts.

In the end Peter go for the parts your happy with.

25. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I was hoping you could fill in those blanks as I do not know how. I gave you all the information I could dig up but I will keep trying and get back to you.I need to get more info on #'s 1 + 2. Also, you imply the warranty is not good so I will look at prebuilts for a better warranty.

26. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    The problem I have is that I don't know what component does what. For example I would like 64 bit, WiFi, Blue tooth, internet and expansion for a video card. How do I know which MoBo has these features, When I go to any place like PCPartpicker, it does not say. Even my micro center does not specify.
    The same with the heat sink fan and cooler.- case too. They give a general indication then a price but not if they have the features I listed.

27. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

MOBO = Asus maximus Hero ATX LGA1151 -Is legacy in this? $319
    Intel quad core 6th generation3.4 GHz, hyperthread
    Nexus NH L1237.8 CFM CPU cooler $70 [I don't know if this is a heat sink}

Is this ok?

28. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Nice mobo, I tend to favour ASUS boards. Full Specs https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/specifications/ but doesnt look as if it has wifi or BT whereas the Z170 Deluxe has https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/specifications/ the z and x series are more workstation over the Maximus range thats more aimed at gamers.

Nexus NH L1237.8 CFM CPU cooler... no idea sorry Peter as I cannot find this on their site,

Best thing to do is when you have a make and model number search the makers site and you will get the full specs, sites like Micro Centre just give basics, think I would not rush into this peter and get each part right CPU is fine in i5 6th generation.

29. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

You sent a lot of statistics.
    Should I save this as a guide?
    I thought I would bring my very rough specifications to Micro Center and discuss the features I want.
    That way they could advise me about compatible parts.
    Maybe I could get a print out to show you.
    It would be easier on both of us.

30. DavidGP

Hi Peter the printout is a good idea

What I tend to take a few weeks doing is build up a list and research the parts so your basically looking for is a Good mobo with all your wanted features, the CPU is a good one, the ram is next and a good speed and matched pair, Corsair are ones I tend to use and they have a kit here at your spec'd price, now your have a starting platform, next look at CPU heatsink and fan (the in box one is ok but not perfect), Noctua D15's are good for aircooling large and heavy, so a good case clearance is needed, also Zalman CNPS are good both are quiet but cool well, with coolers need to double check the sockets they fit so your is LGA1151

Case would come next for me and you have a wealth of choice and all comes down to design first of the outside then I check internals as in SSD/HDD mount points have to be for me side on like this one here, also you need to then make sure you can fit the PSU you want in the case, most sub 1000w fit into most cases ok, I prefer my PSU at the bottom of the case, but doesn't really matter. The Corsair Graphite Series 760 fits your side window look and has alot of space for cable managment as not only do you have to hide as many of the cables for a good view of the insides, it aids airflow and heat, a review here

I think you get the gist of where I'm going with slowly layering up a build, but let us know what parts you spec and we will always give an honest answer.

31. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

HI David -care to comment?
    ?Compatibilty

1- Intel core i5- 6660K, 3.3.GHz, 6th generation, LGA1150. [$219.00]

2- Tax $65

3- assembly $140.00

4- heatsink – Cool Master V8 GTS CPU cooler [ $100]

5- ?Fan

6- Board Asus Z 170 – Deluxe LGA 1151, ATX, Intel

[Need 64 byte, Bluetooth, HIFI, internet, USB 3.0 and 2.0, UEFI, ` [$319.00]

Or? Asus Maximus Vll Hero ATXLGA 1151 - ?$

7- DVD-RW -2 bays

Ram – Crucial Ballistix Sport, 16 GB, 2x8GB, DDR 2400, $84.00 or EVGA

16 GB DDR3-2133, PC 3-1700 CL11 Dual Channel $74.00

8- Drives – (Now my C: says I use 37GB of a TB),

Crucial Max 200, 250 GB, mSata SSD $99.00 or

Samsung 850 EVO, 250 GB SSD $79.00 or

Samsung 850 pro 256GB,SATA 1113D vertical SSD $116

?2nd internal drive HDD 250 GB and make room.

10-Windows Pro, no OEM, with flash drive to install and ? My Windows

address? $200.00

11- PSU –EVGA Super Nova 750 Watt, ATX $120

12- Tower –Mid or full for future video card ?? one side clear and side

opening. NZXT S 340 ATX Mid Window/ need LG internal Sata,24x DVD CD+/-

R+W burner

13- good onboard video card for future upgrade.

!!Where is the component that has legacy and hyper threading, the processor or the mobo?

32. DavidGP

Hi Peter

That takes a while to go through and one quick thing I always check is case to CPU cooler clearance and that Coolermaster V8 will not fit the case as CM V8 is 166.5mm height and the CPU clearance of the case is only 161mm so out by a small 5.5mm so makes a difference as you would not be able to close the side panel. DDR4 ram is what you need and one option is DDR3 that would be a small bottleneck in a quick system, SSDs whichever is fine but a 240GB HDD, a tad small for data and backups possibly, I tend to look in the TB range or at least 500GB, you may have a portable HDD for backups anyways or a spare HDD to add.

Intel CPUs are all Hyperthreading these days, and is enabled or disabled in the BIOS, Legacy USB support is in most BIOS, but with new systems and hardware they are UEFI compatible.

Do they sell pre-builds that are close to your spec that could have a few additions added as I think that may be the best route for you as I mentioned this normally takes me weeks if not a month or so to really get all specs spot on for what I want.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Earthling likes this.
  33. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

One error I made was the difference in socket between the CPU and the MOBO which I corrected. They both need to be LGA 1151.
    Are you saying changing the RAM would take care of the size issue or do I need a taller tower besides a RAM change??
    I use 37GB of 1T and have 2 external drives for imaging. Perhaps a 250 GB HDD and an internal HDD - opinion?

34. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I found the Corsair Obsidian 750 D Airflow Edition Full for $ 139.00. Would this be OK with my current CPU cooler and the RAM I have.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds