Recommend Good Free Video Editor?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skullduggery's Dupe, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

I'm looking for a free full-featured video editor that can handle multiple file formats.

I see that MajorGeeks offers VSDC Free Video Editor 3.3.5.412 by Flash-Integro LLC, as well as AVS Video Editor 7.1.2.262 by Online Media Technologies Ltd.

I'd be interested in hearing about others' experience using either one of these, or other such programs.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Skullduggery's Dupe

Anything I should know about it? For instance, I understand that AVS' free version puts their logo in the output video - I'd kind of like to avoid that kind of thing. And how intuitive and easy to learn quickly is Resolve?

4. Skullduggery's Dupe

I just tried downloading VSDC Free Video Editor from the author's site and from both MG locations, and for all 3 the signature was "corrupt or invalid". Should I be concerned about this?

5. satrow

LOL, I really don't think there'd be any logo/watermark, it's a full editor from a very serious company, something to learn on while you make enough money to be able to afford the Studio version. Check it out!

EDIT: if there's a glitch in the download, leave it for a few days/contact them, get something else to test with.

6. Skullduggery's Dupe

I read a few professional reviews, this seems to be a powerful but complicated tool for making studio movies, whose strongest suit is "color grading", whatever that is, but not intuitive or easy and fast to learn. All I want is something easy and quick to learn for things like trimming the non-performance parts off of music videos downloaded from YouTube. But thanks for responding.

7. satrow

Ah, so you don't want a full-featured video editor then.

Windows Movie Maker?

8. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

About the only one I have used extensively is Virtualdub:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/virtualdub.html

It's mainly for AVI files, but it does allow for trimming and audio manipulation. Another program I used for MPEG files a while back was TMPGEnc, but I don't know anything about it's newer versions, or even where to find it.

Avidemux is an option, though I have never really used it. I did play with it a while back. It purports to do everything Virtualdub can do, including multiple file formats. Like Virtualdub (or TMPGEnc for that matter) there is a learning curve involved. It also says it supports multi-threading, which is good. If it does operate as well as Virtualdub then this deserves a look.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/avidemux.html

satrow likes this.
  9. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I like to use Aviutl

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

OpenShot Video Editor.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/openshot_video_editor.html

Shotcut.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/shotcut.html

Lightworks.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/lightworks.html

Vidiot.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vidiot.html

Windows Movie Maker.
    http://movies.blainesville.com/p/wmm-60-on-windows-7.html

11. Skullduggery's Dupe

OK, I'll try this first.
    Not to "flog a dead horse here", but I'm still just wondering.

12. Eldon

Keep in mind, WMM has limited video format support.
    You might find usefull info at the link I posted about using codecs for additional format support.
    I have downloaded and installed VSDC Video Editor without a problem.
    Where do you get the 'signature corrupt or invalid' message?

13. Eldon

14. satrow

Ah, that's changed in the last day or so!

Try https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve and scroll down to the penultimate panel, left side for the free version. On clicking, there should be a popup requesting your details (looks like you could probably lie ;) ), on completion, the download should auto-start?

Any issues seen otherwise may be down to ad/popup-blocking.

EDIT: just clicking the above link and then the Download button should get a version choice popup, clicking the Windows button left side there gets me the details form as above.

Eldon likes this.
  15. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I scrolled to bottom of page. Had clickbox for free and paid ($999) versions. Gave some bogus info and download button came on (455mb). I x'd out.

Eldon likes this.
  16. Eldon

Still doesn't work for me.
    IE's pop-up blocker is set to medium. I suspect the TPLs.
    And now that I know it's a 455 MB download, I'll give it a miss.

Thanks satrow and Imandy Mann.

17. Skullduggery's Dupe

You can see it here.

invalid signature.jpg

18. Skullduggery's Dupe

Is there any possible way that I could get a "false positive" indicating a bad signature? I don't see how, but "Whuhdoo I know?"

19. Eldon

Something is seriously wrong with Internet Explorer - I'm also thinking about your other thread.
    I just tried to download VSDC.

VSDC.jpg

20. Imandy Mann

I just tried it. First time IE11 on 8.1 hung and knocked down. Second time -15 minutes later no problem. FDM kicked in only. I cancel out - then the download bar at the bottom. Save as and it downloaded good. Watched the progress and no virus. Ran clean.

Eldon likes this.
  21. Eldon

22. Skullduggery's Dupe

IE seemed to be functioning normally; it was just that the FORM of the "run or save" message was different. Do you mean that you think IE may have been hijacked by malware?
    I'm sorry Eldon, I didn't fully describe the situation because I assumed that you would know WHEN I saw the "signature corrupt or invalid" message.

I did in fact first see the "Do you want to run or save" message in the bar, just as you show. AFTER DOWNLOAD WAS COMPLETE is when the message in the bar changed to "signature corrupt or invalid".
    I'll bet I should know this - what's FDM?

23. Imandy Mann

Free Download Manager. It's here on MG's. I use it for larger downloads in case of interruption or if I need to leave and resume later on.

24. Skullduggery's Dupe

Sorry Eldon, I was posting as you were also posting, so I didn't see your post until after I posted.

I guess FDM is "File Download Manager".

But what File Download Manager am I using? I've never heard the term before. Isn't that just handled by Windows? Or is FDM a component of Windows that may have developed a problem? Because as I said, the FUNCTIONALITY appears normal, it's just the FORM of the "run or save" message that's different.

25. Eldon

I doubt it. But only the malware fighters can really answer that.
    I sometimes get "The publisher cannot be verified", but I ignore it.
    Free Download Manager.

26. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I downloaded VSDC but I couldn't figure it out. All I wanted to do was trim a short clip from a video just to test it. But that option is greyed out.

27. Skullduggery's Dupe

Now it was YOUR turn for me to be posting while you were posting, so I didn't see your post until after I posted. Sorry.

In any event, I never downloaded and installed an FDM.

28. Skullduggery's Dupe

Anyway, I'll try WMM.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds