Cannot Delete A Folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I thought I'd clear some space by uninstalling the web browsers I don't really use. I tried uninstalling Opera first but there's this installer folder left that I simply cannot get rid of. It's inside my AVAST folder. I guess I should have disabled Avast before I started but I didn't think of it. I've tried everything I can think of. Changing permissions, all options are greyed out. Adding Take Ownership to the context menu, couldn't take ownership. Disabling Avast, doesn't work. Trying Unlocker, doesn't work, even after a reboot. Every time I try to delete this damn folder, I'm told I need administrator permission. Well there's only one administrator, and they're logged in as an administrator, and they're me. I asked me would it be OK if I deleted my folder and I said yes, me, that's fine, go ahead. So why can't I delete this damn folder?

2. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Ah. It seems this folder doesn't actually have anything to do with Opera, even though the word opera is part of its name. I just looked inside it and all I could find were Avast files. The word opera confused me. If I see a folder with opera in its name, I'm naturally gonna assume it has to do with the Opera browser.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Jesse

Can you post the full path of the folder as in something like this as an example: E:\Work\Presentations (just a folder on my PC that I'm working on files in at present)
    Its possible as you mention AVAST is that if you use Opera browser is that the AVAST Opera plugin is the folder for its data files.

4. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Sure. C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\SZBrowser\Temp\opera_installer_20151127194203

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Boot into Safe Mode and try software options that are posted above or just see if that file will delete normally in SM. Knowing security apps, its not deleting as the host app in this case Avast's Safezone has it open and locked as "in use" you could uninstall Avast Safezone and then delete the file/folder and then re-install.

8. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks but that didn't quite work. CCleaner managed to get rid of most of the stuff in that folder but it left three subfolders behind.

And I didn't need to uninstall SafeZone. I managed to delete the folder while in Safe Mode.

9. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

10. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks! That did it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds