Haven't Updated Windows In Months

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I'm on 8.1 and have been avoiding updating ever since the huge Windows 10 controversy over privacy and telemetry and all that ****. But I think now, for the sake of security, I should probably think about installing some of the dozens, if not hundreds of updates, I've been ignoring. I'm gonna list all of them here. Could somebody please tell me which of them are safe to install and which might sneak Windows 10 onto my system?

On second thoughts, I won't LIST them ALL. I'll describe them. Quicker. I've got a security update for Silverlight, a definition update for Windows Defender, a cumulative security update for Internet Explorer 11, a whole bunch of security updates for Adobe Flash Player, Microsoft .NET Framework, and Windows, a whole bunch of non-security updates for Windows, and the latest version of the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. Which of all of these updates are OK and which should I hide?

(I wonder if Windows falls under the definition of malicious software.)

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Windows Defender isn't working properly. I think Avast might be blocking it. When I open it, I have to click on Start in order to be able to click on Update, but clicking Start brings up a box saying, "The service couldn't be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation."

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

When you install a third party AV such as Avast, Windows disables Defender. You should never run more than one AV.

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

So I don't have to worry about Defender? I can just focus on the rest of those updates?

6. Earthling

Yes, and HERE's an up to date article on preventing the Win 10 upgrade and maintaining your present system.

katkat likes this.
  7. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Great, thanks!

8. Anon-9aee479f8f

Don't think you mentioned you were running Avast, and yes as Eathling said never try to run two anti virus programs. But do keep the one you choose to run updated.

9. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Didn't know it was relevant.

10. Anon-9aee479f8f

This whole thing with Upgrading to Win10 has created a lot of questions for most. I have not made the move to update to Win10 yet myself, but I will soon.

Putting Earthling on notice! He may hear a call for help.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  11. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Is it safe to just hide any updates that aren't marked as security updates? I've ticked all security updates for installation as none of them seem to be on the danger list, and I'm thinking about just hiding all the rest rather than looking up each one of them.

EDIT: I'm talking about all those that are marked as just "Update for Windows 8.1 x64".

12. Anon-9aee479f8f

You can hide updates you don't want and if you find you need them go back and install them later. I hid all those suggested by Earthling listed in post I mentioned above and no problems.

13. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks!

14. Earthling

Although the list of updates to uninstall and hide that I posted last November does seem to have done the trick for many, things move on and currently I would recommend reading the Feb 16 article I linked to in #6 and particularly the part about GWX Control Panel, as that offers a simple way of keeping 10 at bay.

katkat likes this.
  15. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. I did read it, and fortunately, KB3035583 hadn't installed and I managed to hide it. I'm installing all updates now apart from 3035583 and 2976978. When everything's finished, I'll download GWX Control Panel just in case.

Earthling likes this.
  16. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

GWX Control Panel just cleared 6 GB of space for me by deleting hidden Windows 10 folders.

17. Earthling

Wow! Keep Windows update on notify only to stay completely clear of 10.

18. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Also when you see an update listed, copy its KB number and read up about what its updating, then you can decide to install or hide.
    Read this a while back HERE

katkat likes this.
  19. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Sorry, guys. Didn't see these posts 'til now. I'm about to update again. I've had update on notify only for months now and I'll have a look at that post and keep a careful eye on the KB numbers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds