Nexus 7 (2012) Fails To Boot Android

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by Yargwel, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

My wife has a nexus 7 that developed a fault which resulted in the error message "Unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped". I cleared the cache on the nexus but the error still remained so I then went for a factory reset but that gives the same error along with a another error (hidden underneath the first) which says the Start-up wizard has stopped immediately following the displayed Google logo.

Is there anyway to rescue this device or is it toast?

TIA.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Thanks, Plodr. I'll have a look and see if I can make sense of it and I'll let you know the outcome.

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Unfortunately it hasn't worked as I'd hoped. I get halfway through paragraph 2.2 - see the device under other devices but then can't find any Android devices under the categories list so cant get the Android Bootloader listed under the Device Manager. So that's where it is at the moment. Any further thoughts would be welcome.

5. plodr

So the computer fails to see the Nexus when it is plugged in, correct?

If so, before I'd do anything else, I'd buy a new micro USB to USB cable and try that. Just in case there is a problem with the cable.

If it still can't be seen using the new cable then I'm not sure what you'd do.

6. plodr

Try this USBDevView
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
    and see if the Nexus 7 was ever shown on the computer.

Sometimes the computer lacks the proper Nexus USB driver.
    This explains how to download it so the computer can see the device.
    http://www.theandroidsoul.com/nexus-7-2013-drivers-installation-guide-43183/

What version of Windows is the computer running? I'm reading issues with 8.1 but 7 worked fine.
    If you have another computer with a different version of Windows, try plugging the tablet into that and see if it is recognized.

A weird solution
    This probably won't help because the computer doesn't see the Nexus but I'll include it
    http://www.asus.com/support/Knowledge-Detail/28/2/Nexus_7/D53452AE-143C-42F1-BDC1-7F168085F0D7/

7. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

It sees the nexus under portable devices as described in para 2.1 of the 9 page solution but doesn't see it when it is sitting in the bootloader interfaceas an Android Device (or portable device for that matter). I'll have a look at the links you've just posted to see if they help in any way. Thanks Plodr for your efforts so far.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds