Corrupt System...startup Repair Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by kjj911, Jan 31, 2016.

1. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Hello. I am new to posting but hope you can help me! I have an issue with my HP laptop which has a Windows 7, 64 bit operating system. It is a 250GB system that is pretty much maxed. It was accidentally disconnected from power causing shut down. When rebooting, it started scrolling something to the effect of fixing corrupt files or retrieving lost files, can't remember what it said exactly. In the midst of that, it accidentally was shut down again. (It has no battery so if the power cord is bumped loose, it shuts down.) I restarted it and it went to Startup repair. It ran for several hours and thinking maybe it had locked up, I rebooted it. This time I watched the screen and it gave two options, I think they were start normal or Startup repair. I tried the first option twice and it just came back to the same screen so chose Startup repair. Again it ran, and this time I paid more attention. The blue box keeps scrolling across as if it is working and I can see flickering in the hard drive light as if it is working, however, it has been running like that for 3 or 4 days now. Foolishly, I did not back up this system so I stand to lose a lot if I cannot fix this issue. Should I continue to let Startup repair run or will it never end? Any help appreciated!!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I think cutting power twice and then rebooting before it finished probably scrambled so many files it doesn't know what to do.

Hook the drive up by USB adapter to a working computer and grab your files.
    Then put the drive back into the HP laptop.

If you have a Win 7 repair disk which can be created inside Windows 7, use that and see if it will work.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

If you never created the disk, find a friend with a 64 bit version of Win 7 and have him/her create the disk for you.

3. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

How does one even go about getting to the drive in a laptop to hook it to another computer? I am a novice when it comes to laptops.

4. plodr

Because hard drives die and need replacing, there should be directions for replacing a hard drive in your laptop. Post the exact model and I'll try and find the guide.

You buy something like this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
    Plug in the power, put the IDE or SATA 2.5" into the correct adapter and plug it into a USB 2 or higher port on a booted up working computer.

You use Windows Explorer to find the attached hard drive and go through to find your documents. pictures, etc.

5. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

My laptop is a HP dv6-1350US. In the meantime, I shut it down to cancel the Startup Repair since it had been running 4 or 5 days now. I booted into f8 and chose Last known good configuration with no luck. I then rebooted and ran a Disk Check. Is there anything in that which could be of value? Now that I found I can get into the F8 menu, is there anything else I can attempt from there that might help or is rebooting from a repair disk the next thing to try? Thanks for your help!

6. oliverpowell

oliverpowell Private E-2

Hi, might be your CPU is on idle and running too hot. What you can do to solve this issue. Just blow out the case, mainly air coolers and air filters and increase the CPU fan speed.

Or

If CPU fans are working properly then might be your hard disk is failed, you need to check it. Just extract the hard drive and insert into another system if it doesn’t working then you need to take that drive to repairing center or you can download any free software like Rucava or stellar phoenix to recover your lost data from damaged hard drive. Good Luck!!

7. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

It was running hot the day it crashed but is very cool now.

Ran a chk dsk d: /r. Stage 1 & 2 went quickly then it sat and flashed an underscore for a long time, maybe an hour, then started reparing orphaned files. Was up to 54% when I went to bed last night but back to Startup Repair screen this morning so must rebooted itself during the night. Maybe a good sign? Anyone have thoughts on that? I really need data off this computer such as from the sticky note feature and emails.
    Thanks.

8. plodr

9. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Sorry plodr, was just hoping for a miracle fix while waiting to get the adapter. I have now removed the hard drive and have it hooked to the adapter. Does it have to be connected to a Windows 7 computer since that is the operating system of the hard drive or can it be any computer? I pulled out an old laptop but it is running a very slow Windows XP. Thanks for your help!

10. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

I went ahead and plugged it into the old laptop. It breaks it down into 3 drives: System, Local Disk, and Recovery. Local Disk says not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. The other two open with folders and icons. Does that mean it's all gone or is there a next step to try to retrieve data?

11. plodr

What is the size of the system partition?
    I'm looking at my disk partitions on my netbook and I have an 18GB Recovery partition, a 100MBSystem Reserved partition, a C partition with my Windows and a few files and a D partition that I created to store movies and music.

There might be but it is complicated.
    You have to burn a linux CD, boot the old XP with it and perhaps linux can see your files. Linux sees things that Windows can't.

Do you have any friends with a well working Windows 7 computer that would be willing to download a small Porteus linux ISO and burn it to a CD? If so, I will send a link to download the ISO to that person's email address. I have it stored on my googledrive account.

It is very easy to burn in Windows 7. You download an ISO, right click the ISO, have a blank disk in the optical drive and select Burn disc image.

12. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

System is 198MB with 169MB free. Recovery is 12.7 GB total with 2.13 free.

I will have to check if anyone has Windows 7. Does that do anything to their computer or just a download that they then burn (doesn't actually install on their computer so can be deleted when done burning)?

Can you send it to me while I search for someone?

13. plodr

Downloading an ISO to a computer does not change the installed version of Windows.

Unfortunately I tried sending you a PM and could not. I will not post the link to the item stored on my googledrive so at this point there is no way I can get the link to you privately.

14. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Short of the Linux, do you think i've tried everything there is to try? Do you think the chkdsk repair would ever work? I am guessing not being it rebooted itself and started over previously?

Would there be something on my end that prevented the PM?

15. plodr

Losing power once is bad but you lost power twice so that means so much more corruption is probably there. Then while it tried to repair itself, you stopped that. I don't think there is much you can do to fix the corruption.
    In the future, don't stop a computer in the middle of doing something even if it appears it is not working. It might be doing something.

Truthfully, I make images. I had the power go out (on a clear day with no sign that we'd lose electricity) while I was on a notebook. Yes, the battery could not hold a charge so it was exactly like I pulled the plug. I restored an image and was back in business. Before I restored the image when I turned on the laptop, I got the error "no operating system found".

Could be, The default board setting might be not to accept PMs from anyone.
    I did get your PM and was able to reply and give you the link.

16. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

I was able to burn the Linux CD and run it. My files seem to be there. I couldn't find what I want most, that being emails and sticky notes but found a lot of other files; photos, documents, etc. and saved them to an external hard drive. Once I transferred the photos to the external hard drive, I deleted them since I was in the process of doing that before it crashed. That looks like it freed up 100MB of the 250MB HD. Not sure if it matters being I am in unfamiliar territory working on this recovery, but I wondered if that was where the chkdsk /r was taking so long to run. Being I still would love to be able to recover the emails and sticky notes from the system, let me ask these things:

Do you think there is any chance of check disk repair ever working to bring it back to where it was before the crash? Would there be any restore info on the HD that I could pull via Linux that I didn't know to look for? Or anything left to try to get back to the day it crashed?

You made reference to doing images in an earlier post. That led me to check an external HD I had previously used that the software for auto backups stopped working on. There is a file that says Windows Image Backup dated 12/2014. If your answer to the questions above is no, that there is no way at this point to get back to the day it crashed, can I restore from this to lose less than starting from scratch?

Thank you again for all your help and for bearing with my novice questions!

17. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The WindowsImageBackup file can restore your Win 7 system to the state it was in when the file was created, but to use it you will need the Win 7 64 bit system repair disk plodr referred to in #2. With the external drive attached you just boot to the repair disk and select the option to restore a system image. So you need to find a friend with Win 7 64 bit to create the disk as you cannot d/load the ISO any longer.

Before you do that you might be able to retrieve your emails if you can tell us a bit more about how you handle your email - do you use a browser or an email client? If a client, which one and is it a POP account or an IMAP account? If you simply use a browser then all your email will still be on the server and all you need is a working system to access it.

18. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

I use Windows LiveMail which is the default program in Windows 7 to access my email. My email account originates with sbcglobal (AT&T) and is a POP account. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line the option to save messages on the server in LiveMail was unchecked. I have logged into email via Yahoo and the emails are not there. This has certainly been a learning experience on what not to do and a case of do as I say, not as I do :(

Also, is it worth trying a chkdsk /r again or a waste of time?

19. Earthling

Run chkdsk by all means - nothing to lose, but I doubt it will fix anything. However you might have more success with the system file checker so in an elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow. Let us know how that goes.

Your emails are on your hard disk so we need to get this system running if you are ever going to see them again. Windows Live Mail isn't the default Win 7 email client, it's just the email client you chose to use. If we cannot get the system back up you may need help from a Live Mail user to locate and copy off the Live Mail folders using Linux.

20. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Is there a way to run the system file checker while the HD is installed as an external drive on this old XP computer or do I have to reinstall it into the crashed computer to be able to run that?

21. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

No.
    You can only run it on a bootable drive.

22. Earthling

Forget sfc - you won't be able to run it without being able to boot into Windows - my bad. Perhaps you should start a new thread on recovering your Windows Live Mail data first, while the disk is still connected to your old XP system. I'm sure that will be possible. Then you can concentrate on recovering your system with that old system image you have.

23. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Ok, I tried running sfc from a command prompt but it says there is a repair pending that requires a restart but even after reboot it said the same thing.

24. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Posted the email question in another thread and was able to find, back up, and retrieve email data from the HD. Yay!! I saved most of what I can think to look for on the original drive to the external drive while in Linux. So what should I do next? Would the sfc scan be worth doing? Is there a way to get it beyond the above mentioned issue? Run chkdsk? Or should I just call it good and reformat the drive at this point? Recommendations and walk me through what to do if possible. Thanks for all your help!

25. Earthling

As I said before, get someone to create a Win 7 system repair disk for you and use it to restore the old system image you created in 2014. If you can't do that or prefer not to then what means do you have for reformatting and reinstalling Win 7?

26. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

I have 4 DVDs that I am pretty sure are the recovery disks I burned when I bought the computer. Would the repair be a part of those or is the repair disk something separate? If I use these, is it self explanatory when I put the first one in what to do or can you walk me through it to get that image restored? I haven't done anything like this in years so really appreciate the help. Thank you!

27. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Disregard the above. I remember when I was burning those disks I mentioned above, the computer locked up and did not burn disk #4, so double checking it, it is indeed blank so I will go burn a repair disk at a friend's. In the meantime, just for clarification, I have already tried booting to the F8 menu, chose Repair Computer to get to the System Recovery Options screen, and tried a System Image Recovery off the external HD from there. It recognized the image as the latest available however when I went to the next screen it blanked out the option to Format and repartition disks and said if unable to do that, installing the drivers for it might solve the problem. Since this is all new to me, I will be patiently awaiting instructions on what to do next, or will using the repair disk solve this issue. Please forgive my novice questions.

28. Earthling

I use a third party imaging program for this sort of thing so not at all familiar with the inbuilt recovery options. However if you can get someone to burn a Win 7 64 bit system repair disk for you, and know how to boot to a CD/DVD, I'm pretty sure the option to restore your computer from a system image is right there on the boot menu. As that will be far more up-to-date than a reinstall it must be your best option, but you will of course still have a lot of updating to do and will probably need to reinstall some software. After this is all done with I recommend you adopt a regular disk imaging routine.

If your friend doesn't know how to create a repair disk just type system repair disk into Help and Support.

29. Earthling

Here's what you can expect to see when you boot to a system repair disk.

30. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Help....wondering if I messed it up or if it takes a while to run. I didn't get a notification of your message on what to expect so here is what I did: The computer was last booted into F8 Computer Repair in an attempt to run the sfc scan discussed previously so was on the Repair/Recovery screen. Once I had the repair disk, I plugged the external hard drive with the last image into the computer. I also plugged in the external CD player containing the repair disk. I then selected Restart on the recovery screen that was displayed to reboot the computer. It loaded with the screen that gave two options Normal Startup or Launch Startup Repair so I chose Launch Repair. It then went to a black screen with a white line across the bottom that says Windows is loading files. It has been on that screen for almost an hour and a half. Does this sound right? It is a 250MB HD if that makes a difference.

31. Earthling

I hadn't realised you would be using an external CD player - it's possible your computer is unable to boot to that. From what you say it sounds as if your computer has the system repair software installed to the hard disk and is attempting unsuccessfully to boot to that. The white line with 'Windows is loading files' is correct but there should not be any delay before it goes into action. Try rebooting with the system repair CD in the drive and tapping F8 on power up. It should give you options as to which device to boot to. Is your external CD player there? Alternatively take a look at your boot order in BIOS, does it show there? If so then set it as the first boot device and reboot and the rest should be straightforward. If you can't boot to the CD player then we need to use the same system recovery software but on a flash drive. HERE is an easy to follow article on how that is done.

You do need to get this to work as it does not sound as if you have the means to restore to factory.

32. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

I really thought I was home free and would be up and running last night but I just keep hitting roadblocks. The internal CD player wasn't reading the disk so I switched to an external. Discovered not only was the internal CD player on that side of the computer not working but neither are the USB ports. Unplugged the external HD and plugged in the CD player, F9 to get to CD boot options, chose the external and......it said "Non-system disk or disk error, Replace and press any key when ready." So what does that mean? If I put it in my old XP and chose Explore, it shows that files are on it so appears it burned ok. I used a DVD-R if that matters. Also, do both the repair CD/DVD and the external HD with the last image have to be plugged in at the same time because I only have one USB port on the functioning side of the computer. Thanks for bearing with me on this. Seems like we are so close to get it functioning again.

33. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Here is another question: When I go into the System Recovery Options off the F8 boot from the computer itself with the external HD connected that the last image is on and select System Image Recovery it recognized the drive and the last image. When I select Next it blanks out the Format and repartition disks option and says if unable to use that section, installing drivers for the disks being restored might solve the problem. Options are "Install drivers" and "Advanced". If I click on Advanced, it has two items that are both checked: Automatically restart when restore is compete (to make changes before restarting uncheck box) and Automatically check and update disk error information. (to check disks and update error info manually uncheck this box). Should I click Ok on that with both checked and see if it does anything?

34. Earthling

Even if the system repair disk is good, (from the error it may not be), we would still need both a working CD player AND a working USB port, or two USB ports to complete this process. Without that I don't think there is anything else I can suggest, other than take it to a local repairer. Sorry, I don't often have to give up on a problem but I just can't see a way forward.

35. Earthling

In the absence of other options try that. Can't see what you have to lose. It may be blanking out the format and repartition option because the partition layout on the disk matches that in the system image. This might just work so good luck!

36. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Well, nothing could work in my favor on this. System image under the above started but failed. Error deatails: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. (0x80070570)
    I will see if there is anything I can do to get two working ports. The local shop wants $160 to look at it and I think the money is better spent on a new one so will keep chipping at it to see if I can get something to work.
    Let me ask you these things:
    (1) Do I understand correctly that both the drive I boot the CD from and the HD with the backup image must both stay plugged in to the computer during the entire recovery process.
    (2) That if it works as it should it will boot from the CD with the same System Recovery Options that I see now but that sometimes it takes booting from an non-corrupted external source to make it work, and that I should see the recovery process showing on my screen as it works through the process.
    (3) If can't get this repair to work, should I be able to see all the files on this HD if hooked up as an external on the new system (both Windows 7, one Home and one Pro)?
    Again I thank each of you for your help and patience with my novice knowledge and skills. I have learned a lot by doing this.

37. Earthling

That image was our one and only hope. If it's unreadable there is no point in persevering.
    Agreed, or on a used one.
    No idea, but as they both have to be connected to initiate the recovery the question is academic.
    Sorry, no idea. I never use the built-in system recovery procedures, prefer Macrium Reflect or Acronis.
    Providing the file system hasn't been corrupted then yes.
    I'm always nagging ppl to adopt a regular imaging strategy. Few take much notice but I suspect you will become a convert ;)

38. plodr

Sad Earthling that the vast majority of people never expect to have a catastrophic event. I see the excuse, it takes too much time learning how to do this.
    Wait until the hd doesn't boot and see how many lost hours, weeks and sometimes months people spend a) trying to recover files never stored off the computer and b) getting the computer to boot.

39. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

I have an image; maybe not as current as it should have been but one I would be happy with if only I could find a way to make it work :( I agree I was lax. I bought a WD back up hard drive and backed up until the software stopped running the auto back up feature and I delayed dealing with it. I had just bought a new drive and was in the process if transferring data when the computer crashed. Learning experience, should have ran a full system backup first, but then I would still be exactly where I am now, unable to use it. I have an external CD/DVD drive with a Windows repair disk and an external HD with the last image connected via USB ports but all I can get is the "Non-system disk or disk error" message. I have burned the repair disk to both CD and DVD but both get the same error. I am hopeful it is just a small glitch somewhere that will solve the issue and put the computer back in business.

Again, I thank all for their help. You are very right, this has taken many more hours of my life than a computer ever should.

40. Earthling

Earlier you got an error reading the image file. It is corrupt and it won't make any difference if you get the repair disk to boot. The image will still be corrupt.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  41. plodr

I just don't trust the operating system to make an image. I'm not sure how you'd use the image if Windows will not boot so you can see it.

I load Acronis True Image from a CD; it boots before Windows even gets started. As long as I have a working CD and working USB ports, I can restore an image.

I also have an external DVD burner that uses 2 USB ports for power so if the internal drive doesn't work, then I'd use the external drive with the CD.

I hook up one of 5 external hard drives where I store lots and lots of images. I select the newest and restore.

This method has saved my bacon quite a number of times over the last dozen years.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Is your computer set to boot from the CD drive BEFORE the USB device?
    Go into the BIOS and check.

Attach only the external optical drive with the Windows repair disk in it. Do not attach any external hard drives. Does the CD run?

See you can't attach an external hard drive. Windows will try to boot from it and since the drive doesn't contain an Operating system, you get the "non-system disk error".

After you repair Windows and if it was successful, then you can deal with trying to restore an image or backup.

The first job should be to simply repair Windows and boot up with no problems.

kjj911 likes this.
  42. Earthling

If you have an installation DVD the Repair function can find and restore system images created by the Win 7 Backup and Restore feature. For the vast majority who do not have a Windows installation DVD the Windows System Repair Disk that you can create yourself has the same functionality. It works, but in the OP's case his one and only system image created in 2014 is corrupt.

43. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Did I misunderstand something? I didn't think we ever got the system to boot far enough to get to the image on the external HD. Reading above, we reached a glitch when I didn't have two USB ports to run both the external HD and CD/DVD drive at the same time so I went and bought an adapter to be able to do that. I thought that was where we left off.

44. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Thank you for the clarification, Plodr. I thought they had to both be plugged in at the same time. I will try just the repair disk.

45. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Plodr, I tried it with only the external CD/DVD drive plugged in.
    F10...Bios set up then System Configuration then Boot Options CD ROM enabled, Floppy and Internal Network Adapter disabled. Boot order: USB CD ROM #1

Still get Non-system disk or disk error.

Do I have a setting wrong?

46. plodr

No. Apparently the CD in the drive isn't bootable.
    A Windows repair disk, when properly made should be able to boot when a computer is powered on.

Have a friend try to boot the CD just to be sure it is a bad CD. If it boots on the friend's computer then there is a problem with the external optical drive reading the disk.

47. Earthling

From #43

From #33
    This shows that the system repair software is already installed to your hard disk and is available at boot. Most OEM computer do not have that feature and you have to create your own repair disk in order to use it.

and from #36

This tells us that the repair function available at boot with F8 started but could not read the image file. To me that was the final straw, end of the road.

We can only advise using the information you supply. Do you want to modify what you said?

48. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Thank you for explaining that Earthling. I thought that error was possibly because the Windows repair software within the HD wasn't working properly due to the corruption.

To Plodr:
    I burned the repair disk twice on a friend's computer, once to dvd and once to CD; both give the non system disk error on boot. I found a link to download and burn the full repair/restore disk and was able to boot from that version. Not sure why the other wouldn't work. But, unfortunately for me Earthling was correct in that even when booting from the repair disk, it finds the backup image corrupt.

So, with the above being confirmed on the backup image, is there anything left to try to salvage usage of the laptop even if it means info is not saved? Anything to try from the command line while in this repair mode for it to fix itself? Should I let the System Repair option run to see if it ever finishes (previously ran for 5 days before I stopped it)? Can I reinstall Windows using this disk? I believe that option requires a key and I'm not sure how that works with a factory installed OS where you don't get the actual OS disk, did it even come with a key to use for reinstall. Or have I arrived at throw it in the trash and call it all a learning experience? I am getting myself a new one but could put this one to use if functioning.

On a separate note for myself and for anyone reading this in the future: I thought I was doing what I was supposed to do. I bought an external backup HD which came with software to do a full system backup whenever connected and I used it only to find when I needed it, the Windows repair program found the info corrupt. So how does that happen? Or is it not really a problem with the image on the external HD but an issue with the corrupt laptop being able to read it? I know, Plodr, you reference a backup company in an earlier message. If this WD HD seemed to be working right and info could be accessed on it manually after it copied there, but didn't work when needed to restore the last image, how does one ever really know they have a usable image backup? Or has it come down to having to pay a company to store the info so you have a responsible party to complain to when it doesn't work?

Second question, if you can bear with me as this probably seems really novice: as the hard drive stands right now with Linux reading all the info on it so it is there, but the corrupt Windows computer being unable, if I were to hook that HD to the new computer via external adapter, should it read all the files or no?

Again I thank you both for sticking with me this far!

49. Earthling

I've been studying the manual for your machine and there is still a possibility it can be restored to factory even though the recovery CDs you tried to create are incomplete. It seems that some models of the dv6 have a recovery partition that can be launched at boot. The attached pic from the pdf shows the relevant info. This, if successful, would effectively erase everything currently on the HD but at least you get a working system. Make sure you have copied off anything you want to keep before trying to run it. I believe you are able to use a Linux CD for that. Good luck!
    Capture.PNG

50. kjj911

kjj911 Private E-2

Thanks. Being I thought I had a good backup image and it turned out I didn't, I think I will wait until the new laptop arrives in a few weeks to make sure I really do have a copy of the items I wanted from this HD before erasing the info on it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds