D Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NGazzara, Feb 13, 2016.

1. NGazzara

NGazzara Private E-2

Good Afternoon,

Am back again with a new problem.
    OS: XP - Biting the bullet & soon to upgrade to Windows 7

My problem started when my printer would not print. After trying a few tricks, I decided to uninstall & reinstall only to find out that my DVD/CD Rom did not work either. That was after I uninstalled my printer.
    Also my D drive doesn't show in "My Computer" screen.

In the device manager:
    DVD/CD-Rom Drives
    Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drivers)
    Location 0 (0)
    Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (int the registry_ is incomplete or damaged.
    (Code 19)

Where do we start.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. NGazzara

NGazzara Private E-2

Eldon,
    The "restore" was incomplete
    I tried every resolution, the only 1 I could complete was the last one and none worked.
    I now have a "keyboard failure" pop up before windows restarts and the "new hardware" window automatically pops up at startup to reinstall my printer.
    Now what do we do?

Thanks,
    Nancy

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Nancy

If when you followed the link Eldon posted did you use the FixIt app? if so and that didn't work use Resolution 3 then manual way to delete the upper and lower filters and reboot and see if that works for you? (could be a case of in Device Manager to right click the CDROM drive and uninstall and then reboot to have Windows re-aquire the CD drive, it may also be that the drive is faulty or has a loose connection so if a desktop just unplug and re-plug it back into the motherboard)

In Device Manager are there any yellow ! marks by any devices and if so which ones?
    What is the make and model of your PC/Laptop?

5. NGazzara

NGazzara Private E-2

Hi David,
    I followed every step down to the last one...none worked. I tried updating the driver in the device manager. The error
    In the device manager:
    DVD/CD-Rom Drives
    Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drivers)
    Location 0 (0)
    Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (int the registry_ is incomplete or damaged.
    (Code 19)
    I checked the connection, nothing seemed to be loose. However, I did not unplug the device...will try that.
    BTW...I have a Dell Workstation Precision 390. I recently had the graphics card replaced by a professional. I was told that this computer is well worth keeping as it is in good shape. It was also recommended that I upgrade to Windows 7 as you guys have mentioned to me a few time. My hesitance is that I use old Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator programs. I understand that Windows 7 offer me the option to run those programs toggling to XP. I hope that's the case because I think I have run out of time with XP.

Thanks for your help. I will unplug & replug the CD Rom device and let you know if it works.

Nancy

6. Eldon

It seems there's a problem with the motherboard or the HDD. Or Windows has become severely corrupted.
    If you have the Windows XP disc, you can repair Windows.

But first, download HDDlife Pro and check the state of the hard disc.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hddlife_pro.html
    It runs as the professional version for 15 days and then reverts to a feature-limited freeware version.

Also, speak to the person who replaced the graphics card and ask his opinion.

We'll deal with running Windows 7 alongside Windows XP in another thread after we have solved the current problem(s).

7. NGazzara

NGazzara Private E-2

I unplugged and re-plugged the CD Rom - no solution
    Upon reboot, I am still getting a Keyboard error before windows starts up.
    Now I have another error message:
    Linksys Wireless Network Monitor: Access Violation - Address 00426059 in module 'WMP54GSv1_1.exe Read of address 00000368. FYI - This monitor was used as a TV in a different location. It was hooked up to a Linksys Network. However is is no longer hooked into that Network. It is a Visio HDTV
    Please know that all other programs are working fine. If the motherboard is the problem, would that still be the case?
    HDD life Pro says my hard disc is completely fine.
    BTW = don't have an XP disc.
    Thanks,

Nancy

8. Eldon

With all those hardware errors, it's in all probability the motherboard.

Try and borrow a Windows XP CD. Then we can repair Windows without affecting your programs.

If that doesn't work, then it's definitely the motherboard.

DavidGP likes this.
  9. NGazzara

NGazzara Private E-2

Will do,

Thank you

10. Eldon

Let us know.
    Once the problem is fixed, we'll move onto installing Windows 7 while keeping Windows XP.

11. NGazzara

NGazzara Private E-2

Okay...that would be great. Thank you

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds