How To Transfer Settings Contacts And Bookmarks To New Pc From Salvaged Hdd

Discussion in 'Software' started by idreos, Jun 30, 2016.

1. idreos

idreos Private E-2

My 5 year old old laptop broke and I have salvaged its HDD with the folders.

The HDD showed a recovery partition which was empty, and a Data Partition containing 7 folders
    The AppData and Contacts folders on the salvaged HDD are empty

I am planning to transfer the data to the new W10 laptop which should be straight forward, but am confused as to to how my old laptops personal settings and preferences, contacts and bookmarks will be transferred. I thought such info was in the AppData folder but that folder and the Contacts Folder are empty.

I do not have access to the old laptop's OS. Are the preferences, settings and email contacts lost, or am I missing something?? Thanks for your help!

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

For your contacts and and bookmarks tell us what you were using for email and which web browser you were using. Depending on your answers they may or may not be recoverable. Settings is meaningless, what settings are you talking about?

3. idreos

idreos Private E-2

Thank you for your response. Im using Firefox and chrome browsers

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Your Firefox bookmarks and other settings are in a profile folder in AppData and can be copied to a new computer or hard disk. This Mozilla support article explains it. If AppData on the old disk is really empty then of course you are out of luck. Your contacts are held in your email system which you haven't given any information on. Was it Outlook.com, Gmail, what? And were you accessing it online via a web browser or via an email client program such as Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird? If you were emailing online you will recover your contacts and other settings just by signing in to your account on your new computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds