Netflix

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimW, Jul 24, 2016.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Anyone use netflix? What's your experience with it? Do they have first run flicks? Is it worth the money?

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Use it and like it. I think it's worth the money, but whether that applies to you will depend a lot on what you will use it for. What exactly do you want to watch? Netflix, despite what they want us to think, does not have everything, or even close to everything...

3. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I use and really like Netflix. Each year more and more people are using Netflix and they use the money to in part create original content for their network. I'm watching season 1 of Stranger Things, a Netfilx original series, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

4. Mimsy

The original content is uneven... the first two seasons of House of Cards were very good. The third felt a bit like a disappointment.

5. TimW

I am not finding much in the way of first run movies. Most of what I find is old movies. No recent releases.

6. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I find that movies take about a year to show up.

7. TimW

Well poop! I have a blu-ray player that does Netflix, but if they don't have recently released movies I don't see the use.

8. Mimsy

They have a large number of reasonably current TV shows available, which is what we use ours for. The Guy and I are currently working our way through Star Trek: The Next Generation. (They have all the Star Treks, if that interests you.)

Other shows we've watched on Netflix: The Wire, Dexter, The West Wing, Orange is the New Black (Netflix original), House of Cards (likewise), Star Trek: Deep Space 9, Scrubs, Lie to Me, Breaking Bad, House M.D.

Note that Netflix sometimes decides not to renew their license for a show when it expires. The Wire may no longer be on there. :(

9. TimW

Well, Sat. and Sun. are our movie nights and we usually rent a flick from Hastings, but they are going out of business. I guess its comes to the Red Box movies. Sigh.

10. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

The new releases are normally on the DVD plan. I usually set the queue up in advance so when one gets returned, the other will ship (2 out at at time).

11. Mimsy

What you're saying makes sense. We're on the streaming-only plan. Enough of the new releases are on Amazon Prime that we don't really feel a need to pay Netflix extra. It does mean that I have no idea what's on the Netflix DVD plan though. :)

12. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I have had Netflix for probably 15 years, starting with their DVDs and then going to streaming. I love Netflix. I'd get rid of 95% of my cable channels before I'd get rid of that (but then who wouldn't :D).

But no, as mentioned, their streaming does not include new release movies that just came out on DVD. The studios only release those for purchase or rental streaming.

If I want a brand new release, I buy the rental version from Amazon's streaming (some of their prime movies are a bit newer than Netflix, but they still aren't the brand new ones).

Btw, Netflix's DVD program is a good one. They send them to you next day and you just throw them back in your mailbox when you are done. Here's their pricing plan attached.

Attached Files:

TimW likes this.
  13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I love me some Netflix! I don't watch TV, so use it as my 'TV'. Does not have everything, and some availability varies depending on what country you live in. (Some stuff in Canada is not available in the US, and vis versa).

For the money it costs, very worth it for me. Plus, I think you can try it for a month free. The streaming is awesome, my internet was super slow for a while (like 3Mbps down...) and I could still watch shows with very minimal buffering.

LauraR likes this.
  14. Trex™

Trex™ Private First Class

If you're just streaming, I've found any "good" movie I think of that I wanna watch, it's more or less guaranteed not to be available. It's obviously better to get the mailed DVD, but I suck at watching movies. In that, I mean... I wanna watch something I've seen before and really like, I hardly ever just pick a movie out, read the description and think "hmmm... that sounds good." There's probably some hidden gems somewhere in there, but I'd never know.

When it came down to it, I let Netflix lapse, and kept up the Hulu payment. :) I like it much better.

15. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

We have used Netflix for quite a few years now. Like others we started off with the DVD plan but have switched over to just streaming content now. We have an Amazon prime account and just use that service for the latest releases, seems to work well for the 5 of us. Netflix is great for TV shows, Original content, and pretty good selection of overall titles, not so great for the latest greatest movies. And if you are really into TV shows, I hear Hulu is hard to beat.

16. silvervulpus

silvervulpus Guest

i think its worth it, but i have a list of cons as always. first of all, its run by a fortune 500 company, secondly its a bandwidth hog, be prepared to either balance your IP tables or get a better router, third of all, dont fall asleep logged in unless u get unlimited data from your ISP. i have a 1TB limit which almost never gets broken while running 7 systems in my house, and in one month i went over by 160GB and had to play almost $300 in overcharge because my wifes ex was living in our basement and left it logged in constantly (until i banned his xbox from my router which he tried to fight with me about until i told him, fine, if you wanna keep on my bandwidth you now pay my cable bill... it shut his drunk ass up quickly.) so if you have data limit it can get pricey, i also want to say i get a wider selection and variety from solarmovie and projectfreetv, but unless you are setup to prevent viruses and malware, stick to netflix. all in all, if you give it enough time to stream, or buy a magic jack, its totally worth using netflix, but if you have firefox and adblock+ or no scripts... dont waste your money or your time or your hardware on that corporate turd. <snip>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016
  17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Not sure what is wrong with a Fortune 500 company, but have not had any bandwidth issues, and it works well with my new router, or the older one. No IP table problems. I am on unlimited so can't comment on that.

hitest likes this.
  18. Mimsy

Nothing, if you work for a good one ;)

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Hmm, Microsoft, Intel, AMD, Apple... Oh my. :D

20. Mimsy

AMD still counts in that group?

Oh my, indeed. :p

21. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

22. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

Same here. Yes. If you have a data cap then Netflix is a bad idea.

23. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not gone down that route, but in the UK it seems as if you get different media per location so what is in USA may not be in UK and vice versa

hitest likes this.
  24. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

True. My Netflix content in Canada is different from USA content. It seems content varies by geographical region.

DavidGP likes this.
  25. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Really with you on this, hitest...PITA as I like some US shows but they do not air on UK Netflix hence my not buying it, content should be universal.

hitest likes this.
  26. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have always been a Netflix by mail consumer since 2007. I did get a streaming trial with a netbook so I used that for a month. I actually prefer not streaming.
    The current movies, get released on DVD so weekly I look which is being released on a Tuesday. If there are any I want, I add to my queue.
    I am still grandfathered in to the old price of $7.99/month. If I watch fast, I can get 2 movies a week. That rarely happens. :p
    Even so, I feel 4 movies a month is a bargain at $7.99.

If you prefer streaming, give Crackle a look. I don't know what they offer but at a price of FREE, if there is nothing on tv, it might help.
    http://www.crackle.com/

27. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yes, the different content by location is stupid. I can 't think of a good reason for them to do it.

28. Trex™

I might have advocated Hulu a bit hastily. I neglected to mention that I'm paying extra for the Showtime package. I got it for free at first, then got sucked in by a lil show called Nurse Jackie. :)

29. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I really don't like Netflex or Hulu.Mainly due to the ad's.I refuse to use them type of sites.This is way i pretty much stopped watching TV.

I would share a sites to watch stuff for free.But i am not allowed here.

30. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Netflix doesn't have ads. In the short time I paid for HuluPlus, it's didn't either. Hulu free may have them since its free.

And no, do not post links to sites that offer illegal free shows.

31. scouse66

scouse66 Private E-2

Netflix is good worth the money easy. But here most are using their firesticks using Kodi (grey area'ish) iptv is cool on sat boxes. Plenty of goodies to search and watch.
    I have been watching youtube in bed love the ghost hunts like voice box using radios with good speaker, scanning constantly no time to stay on a channel yet the stuff that comes through is amazing.
    i guess with smart boxes for tvs or smart tvs there is lots more to choose now without paying big monthly tv packages from sky or virgin etc.

32. scouse66

scouse66 Private E-2

you can buy a zgemma box install lots of goodies that offer most things through the internet connection.

33. Trex™

For those of you on a limited data plan, I have noticed an automatic "stop" on Hulu when I leave it running at night. I'm not sure how long it goes before it does this, but I'll wake up at some point and see the screen asking "Are you still there?" with a continue button. So they seem to be mindful of those that are potentially on limited data plans.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds