Cannot Delete Folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by mdonah, Jul 26, 2016.

1. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I purchased a MEGA Graphics Bundle from a site called sharewareonsale.com. They combined everything into a 5+GB .ZIP file. The author never intended for the images to be distributed in this manor. He/she had a Dropbox account and each category of images was in separate .ZIP archives.

I initially downloaded the 5+GB archive and Windows, 7-Zip and Winrar reported the archive as being corrupt (Winrar), invalid (Windows) and unable to open as an archive (7-Zip).

I have been trying to delete the 5+GB (now down to 1.73GB) file and am constantly getting the message that Windows can't find the file yet it exists (see attachments).

I've taken ownership of the folder and all subfolders to no avail, ran CCleaner to no avail, ran Unlocker and chosen delete on restart and the albatross is still there. I'm running Win 8.1 Core x64 on an AMD based laptop.

Please advise.

Attached Files:

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Unless it's malware you probably need to use a boot disk such as a Linux live CD or a Windows PE disk.

3. mdonah

I used a Win 10 PESE disk I had and got the same results about the file not being in it's location.

I used Search for the entire Win 8.1 drive and 4 references to the file showed. I tried to delete from the Search results and got the same.

Windows Defender scan shows nothing malicious.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Seems like a file system error. I would run CHKDSK /R

5. mdonah

Ran chkdsk /r. Process stayed at 12% for quite a while. I walked away and let things complete.

Problem still persists — Windows says the file is not in it's location yet it stll exists and is 1.73GB in size. Still can't delete it by "normal" means.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

7. mdonah

No, I'm running Unlocker 1.91 (x64) from emptyloop. There's an x86 version 1.92. Both are adware but, I custom install instead of express install. 1.92 has Delta Toolbar and 1.91 has Bingbar.

But, regardless, Unlocker has always worked for me in the past. I'll try the one you linked me to. Perhaps my Unlocker doesn't function properly under Win 8.1.

8. mdonah

Free File Unlocker didn't work either. It's more difficult to work with than my Unlocker too.

9. Eldon

Have you tried Safe Mode?
    Or try moving the file and then try deleting it.

10. mdonah

Just did both to no avail although, the archive is now on my desktop instead of in my "Unzip here" folder.

11. mdonah

I'll try sfc /scannow tomorrow.

12. Eldon

Kestrel13! and mdonah like this.
  13. mdonah

Thanks Eldon!

Used Method 2? (Command Prompt) from your link.

The folders now gone from my life! :D

14. Eldon

Great! :)
    I have saved those instructions.

15. mdonah

I bookmarked that page as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds