How Can I Fix A Power Supply Problem In My Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by @Eddu, Jul 26, 2016.

1. @Eddu

@Eddu Private E-2

How can I fix a power supply problem in my laptop?

Last night, I left my laptop to charge but when I wake up in the morning I found that my laptop was not charging any more and my decoder and t.v. box were spoiled too, I guess this is due to power fluctuation because my neighbor's next door light bulb blew up the same night.
    This morning when I tried to charge the laptop, it was charging for about a second and again it stops charging for about 2-3 minutes.
    I tried to uninstall Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method, and reinstall it. It then charged for about a hour then, stops charging again.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Along with what MaxTurner said, get yourself a surge protector (the higher the joules the better) and plug your laptop into that. You might want to get more than one to plug your other electronics into as well.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I agree - your system specs would be helpful.

IMO, surge and spike protectors are little more than fancy and expensive extension cords. A "good" UPS with AVR is much more robust and will protect your equipment from excessive surges and spikes, as well as low voltage events like sags (opposite of surges), dips (opposite of spikes) and brownouts (long duration surges). Battery backup power during a full power outage is just an added bonus.

A surge and spike protector is better than nothing, but they simply kill power to your devices if their limiting capacities are exceeded (if working properly). A UPS will keep power going to your components and if necessary, save any open documents, close any open programs, then "gracefully" shut down your computer to avoid any data loss or worse, drive or OS corruption. These automated shutdowns are not that essential with a notebook because they do that anyway when the battery runs low. But the key things about a "good" UPS with AVR is the AVR - automatic voltage regulation. That's what makes a "good" UPS worthwhile, what really protects your connected equipment and is what no surge and spike protector can provide.

Does your notebook run continuously without problems with the battery removed? If so, the charger is probably fine and you may have a bad battery. If not, then probably need a new charger.

5. @Eddu

@Eddu Private E-2

Thank you all for your advice.
    @Digerati my laptop does not run incase the battery is removed, and I think you might be right to say that I need a new charger.

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Note too that broken charger connectors in notebooks are a common problem. They wear and lose good contact or often just break. This is a fairly easy and inexpensive fix for experienced techs (once they get the right part in if it needs replacing). A decent shop can test your charger too. If you can find a correct type charger to test before spending money on a new charger, that might be worth it. But note you cannot just take any old charger and plug it in. It MUST have the same connector configuration and polarity, same voltage and equal or more amp-hour ratings.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds