Password Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by kscavo, Jul 29, 2016.

1. kscavo

kscavo Private E-2

I have a laptop Toshiba 3 years old, it was a family members, he set it with his log in as a pin code and no password. I cannot get in to anything because it is asking for a password he said is not there. I have tried many I though it could be. I got in to bring back to factory state but cannot go any further because it still wants a password. What can I do besides throw this against a wall which is where it is headed.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You should have an option to change to a pin under the sign in box.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It sounds like it is requesting a BIOS password. If that is the case, the old way was to remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes BUT newer laptops don't reset BIOS passwords by removing the CMOS battery.

4. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

It is, in fact, a Windows option and not a BIOS option.

Sign in Options.jpg

TimW's suggestion should be the one that works.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Yes, PIN logins first appeared in Win 8.1

8. mdonah

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

But the OP said he set a PIN and no password.
    So why would it ask for a password, unless it was a BIOS password, if no password was ever set?

10. mdonah

Re-read Post #1. The laptop was a family member's and the family member set up a PIN.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

My understanding is that any non-password log in (ie PIN, photo log in, Microsoft email account log in) is an additional
    option only, and not a sole alternative. The reason for that is log in in Safe Mode is impossible without a password = a PIN or photo log in simply will not work. Ergo there MUST have been a password or Microsoft Account log in, or password protected Local account to start with.

12. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

No passwords used or asked for here, Max.

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Safe Mode with command prompt wont allow me to use my PIN in two Win 10 laptops or a Win10 desktop. All three were 8.1 set up with Microsoft accounts. I don't use local accounts. My reading of guides on Windows Club, How to Geek all suggest PIN is an alternative to a PW but not solely in replacement of it. If the OP is being asked for a PW, then one clearly existed!
    Even if the original owner says there wasn't one, only the system manufacturer can help now.

14. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

On my wifes computer.....win10, she got a login prompt for a password. She only has a Pin for a password. Just need to click on options to reset to pin.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds