Image File Size.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eldon, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Kindly help me out...

The file size of an image is determined by the size, resolution, bit depth, and complexity of the image.
    I have a jpeg image that's 220 x 220 pixels, 72 dpi, 24 bit, and it's not complex at all. It's not a multi-layer/frame/page image. And VirusTotal gives it the all clear.

How is it possible that the file size is 3.2 MB?

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Eldon...

Maybe there is a more logical answer, but I played around many years ago with hiding files in pictures, so I know that can be done. However, I don't think Virus Total examines files except to see who if anybody has flagged the file by name and by some other standards like digital signature, size, file type, etc. Maybe the all clear just means that the file by the name you submitted hasn't been flagged before.

Would be interesting to find out if something is inside. A file with those specs shouldn't be more than what 20-40 kb? I just looked at a .png that is 239x211 and 24 bit that is right at 20 kb...

3. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Wooooooo! Yikes! :eek: That is super ultra mega a LOT for an image that small. I just finished implementing some updates to my Blog and just as an example, a particular 590 x 1357 JPEG that was created and saved using Photoshop's Level 10 (Out of 12) Quality option yields only 277 KBytes. Out of curiosity, just now I saved that same image in PNG format and still it yields only 1.04 Meg. Now ... the Photoshop file of it is 4.33 Meg. Almost what your puny JPEG is yielding. :eek:

Your situation would conceivably baffle even Mr. Spock. Have you scanned it also with say ... MBAM and SAS? Out of curiosity, you should make a copy of it and resample it with one or more Apps to see if they CAN bring the file size way down or not.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

What software did you use to create it?

Can you post the VT link, there might be some useful info to be gleaned from it?

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings.

As an aside: there is a vast amount of data contained in an image file that does not necessarily pertain to picture quality, etc. EXIF, IPTC, JPG-Comment and XMP information can all be safely removed without affecting visual clarity.

For example: open a JPEG with IrfanView and then run the "Save As" command. A menu will be presented that allows you to disregard that extraneous data - if you do so, the picture will look virtually the same, but the file size will be significantly reduced.

Another fun exercise: open a graphics file with a good text editor and try to decipher the code. Woohoo !!

:)

6. Eldon

VirusTotal does exactly that.
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/about/
    Prior to uploading the file to VirusTotal, I scanned it with Avast & Malwarebytes - both are used by VirusTotal.
    I found the file in Internet Explorer's temp folder.
    Here's the scan report.
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...8e2da2f55945f3fb1f9141e6/analysis/1472601550/
    Caliban,
    As far as I know, the EXIF, IPTC, JPEG-Comment and XMP info are just text.
    I did re-save the file using XnView and... 37.64 KB!
    Here are some images of various export options in XnView.
    2_GIF.jpg 3_PNG.jpg 4_BMP.jpg 5_JPEG 2000_quality_100.jpg
    The resulting file size is below the image on the right.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Eldon, were did you get the pic from?

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Originally created on a Mac using Adobe CS6 :)

VirusTotal > Additional info tab.

9. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Yep - and unnecessary unless you need positioning / rotation, camera data, etc. Reduce the text, reduce the file size. :)
    Works every time. I really like the "Quality" sliders in most modern graphics apps: I usually set mine for 80-85%.

10. Eldon

I found the file in Internet Explorer's temp folder.
    I did see that. The MP3 data accounts for less than a third of the file size.
    But, it looks like the metadata is the culprit. Exporting to jpeg and selecting to remove the metadata results in a file size of just 42.1 KB.
    Is there a book hidden in the file? :rolleyes:
    1_JPEG_quality_1_remove metadata.jpg

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds