I Am Now A Librarian

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Aug 2, 2016.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Would you have any doubt of this?? :D

haha....joking. I think it was just a matter of taking their time on the position.

2. LauraR

Nothing worse than what I had to deal with when i ran a department at our big department store. I got some really winners with that.

DavidGP likes this.
  3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Customers they are great and weird at times but like for me with patients you have a different day each day, makes the week entertaining.

4. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

Congratulations, LauraR!!!! To get paid to hang out with stacks of books sounds like perfection to me. :)

LauraR likes this.
  5. LauraR

My thoughts exactly!

hitest likes this.
  6. DavidGP

Hows the job going Laura?

LauraR likes this.
  7. LauraR

Job is going great, David! :) Thanks for asking. I really like it. This library is very big and very busy so the day goes by very quickly. They have a schedule where everyone switches tasks each hour which is awesome. Until I am fully trained, I won't be working any weekends, so I've just been working Mondays and Thursdays for 5 hours each.

katkat and DavidGP like this.
  8. DavidGP

Glad your loving it and yes a big library will be really busy, I like the idea of switching tasks around, that way you dont get bored and also if you have to cover for someone your not lost in not knowing what to do. We could do with that type of logic in our dept. Will it be a rota system for weekend like 1 in 3 etc

9. LauraR

That's exactly how it feels. No chance to get bored. I have found what I dislike most though, but even that goes pretty quickly. lol

When I start on weekends, I'll be working every Monday, Thursday 9-2pm and every Saturday Noon-5pm. They don't do varied schedules there. I actually like it because I can plan months in advance and not worry about being scheduled to work. They are also accommodating as far as days off. The Saturday is what everyone thinks is bad, but I really don't do too much on a Saturday afternoon and I like that I work late enough where I can sleep in if I've gone out Friday night and I get our early enough to go out Saturday night. lol...it's all about my weekend nights out for me. :D

10. DavidGP

Ah that's a fair point to make on Saturday working and knowing were or what you have to schedule in is great, dont really like random schedules, mine is 8 - 4pm Mon to Fri, although I'm generally in at 7:30, weekends only work them if travelling somewhere but we limit that now.

So what's the most popular book at this moment?

11. LauraR

They always seem to be Book Club books. A few are 'Me Before You', 'The Girl on the Train", and "All the Light We Can not see".

lol...I tend towards sci fi/fantasy, so mine never seem to be one of them. I'm not a huge dysfunctional main character type person.

DavidGP likes this.
  12. DavidGP

Ah ok so alot of book clubs in the area, interesting as UK doesnt seem to have many. I'm like you SciFi, but I had a thought the popular ones would be Harry Potter etc
    This question is only as I'm researching this now in Analytics, does your library use this type of data to monitor popular books, overall monthly etc. I've been playing with Dashboards and mapping of clusters of patients (where they come from and what Optician practice etc), timescales to treatment etc Mapping feature of latest Excel is neat.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...b5cc-577873fb0f4a#__exploring_sample_datasets

13. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

I can see it now:

librarian.jpe

Mimsy and LauraR like this.
  14. Caliban

Love the "She Stopped His Circulation...But Good!"

Yikes!! :eek:

15. LauraR

A TON of book clubs in the US. I blame Oprah for all of the depressing dysfunctional fiction literature out there now days. Book Clubs are mainly those types of books from what I've witnessed. I'm pretty sure most women I know only admit to reading them. Funny story about one of my good friends...

We had gotten into a discussion about books and she couldn't imagine 'wasting your time reading Those types of books' talking about something I brought up. She claimed she only wanted to read meaningful books (whatever that means since I'm sure it's different for everyone). Last week I was checking books in that people had put in the drop and I notice her name pop up a couple of times (I don't even look but since it's a good friend it caught my eye). Both were common 'mystery' genre books. I had to chuckle to myself since I'm pretty sure those were along the lines of what she termed me wasting my time on. :D

I think Harry Potter books will always be popular. The new one is on hold a lot now for patrons:
    Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

It has not gotten good reviews from what I saw.

Hahaha...you sure that's not the cover of some adult movie?

hmmm...I looked. The don't. I bet they could though. It might be interesting.

DavidGP likes this.
  16. Caliban

Who says librarians can't be sexy ? Hmm ??

By the way:

"One day I fell asleep in a library. I woke up and a blind man was reading my face." - Rodney Dangerfield

HAHA !! :p

DavidGP likes this.
  17. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

As I like to say . . . de gustibus non est disputandum! ;)

I love it when someone tells me I am wasting my time doing whatever. Heck, it's my time to waste, and "waste" is a highly subjective term . . . especially when dealing with literary matters, lol

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    LauraR and DavidGP like this.
  18. LauraR

I'm not going to start a new thread for this, but if anyone hasn't heard of this site, it's worth checking out if you like to get ebooks.

It monitors deals on retailers like Amazon or Barnes and Noble and lets you know when there is a temporary price cut of either free or up to about $2.99. You put your book/author preferences in and it will send you email alerts. Note: you do have to submit your email address to get into the site.

BookBub

Mimsy, DavidGP, katkat and 2 others like this.
  19. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

A hah! A cool tool!:cool:

LauraR likes this.
  20. DavidGP

Well thats a neat site for eBooks, the inner librarian you coming out Laura!
    Joined and never get time TBH to read much these days past medical papers but never know, family may love this.

21. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

That is perfect. I really needed one more way to feed my growing eBook addiction. :p

[​IMG]

LauraR and DavidGP like this.
  22. DavidGP

Neat cartoon Mimsy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds