Background Programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by jcdgl, Sep 23, 2016.

1. jcdgl

jcdgl Private First Class

Good morning all. I have a feeling that I have programs running in the background my computer has slowed down drastically and show a force stop when I shut it down. I was wondering if you could help me figure it out.
    I looked for the info on what to do first but was not able to find it
    thanking you in advance Jan

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Which version of Windows are you running?

3. jcdgl

Windows 7

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Jan

One of the best ways to give us an idea of what's running the the background of a PC is to run the below and attach the log

When you get a force stop on shutdown does the message tell you what app is hanging before shutdown?

Have you done a malware scan of your PC just to double check no malware is present?

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Also, it may not be background programs that are slowing things down. There could be limited free space on your hard drive or the drive could be badly fragmented along with what DavidGP mentions.

6. jcdgl

Yes HKCU:Run Google Update Google Inc. "C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    Yes HKCU:Run HP ENVY 4500 series (NET) Hewlett-Packard Co. "C:\Program Files\hp\HP ENVY 4500 series\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe" -deviceID "CN48D120PX05X4:NW" -scfn "HP ENVY 4500 series (NET)" -AutoStart 1
    No HKCU:Run Skype Skype Technologies S.A. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /minimized /regrun
    Yes HKLM:Run APSDaemon Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run HP Software Update Hewlett-Packard C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run hpsysdrv Hewlett-Packard c:\program files (x86)\hewlett-packard\HP odometer\hpsysdrv.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run iTunesHelper Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run LWS Logitech Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\LWS.exe -hide
    Yes HKLM:Run MSC Microsoft Corporation "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    Yes HKLM:Run PDF Complete PDF Complete Inc C:\Program Files (x86)\PDF Complete\pdfsty.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run QuickTime Task Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    Yes HKLM:Run StartCCC Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. "c:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    Yes Startup Common HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    Yes Startup User Monitor Ink Alerts - .lnk Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\system32\RunDll32.exe

Sorry for the cut and paste but I did not see a way to just attach the file

7. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Try this .... go back to ccleaner startup tool; highlight and select disable for the following entries:
    Yes HKCU:Run Google Update Google Inc. "C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    Yes HKLM:Run APSDaemon Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"

I read some discussions indicating the daemon can be a resource hog and google update calls home alot. Reboot after disabling these and see if you get any improvement.

As a general rule, I don't bootstart 3rd party programs, unless they are part of my realtime security. Another check I do is for quick start and
    desktop shortcut icons, or listed in the start/all programs list. If they are there, I call them when I want them, but not on startup.

Here is my my current startup:

Attached Files:

8. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

BTW, just next to the "Post Reply" is the "Upload a File Button";)

9. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

10. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

That discussion of Dealing with Startups leads to some good info. Seems to push the 'hijack this' mode. If followed thru the link to a tutorial on HJT is about 20 screens long on my monitor. Excessive for a novice. There is also mentions of other programs to do the work. Some are good. I've used them all and still have the installers. One is 'Startup CPL' - which I have used many times on every pc I've had and still have.

But here is the scoop from MG's link to it:

Michael F Lin, PhD
    I'm a software engineer and genome scientist in Silicon Valley. I joined DNAnexus in 2012, following a decade at MIT, the Broad Institute, and the Kellis lab.

You can read my blog, follow me on twitter, look me up on LinkedIn, peruse my scientific publications on Google Scholar, or fork my repos on GitHub.

I established mlin.net in 1999 to publish several freeware Windows utilities I'd created, which had millions of users over the following decade. You can still view the
    classic mlin.net, but the software is now largely obsolete.

Maybe needs for an updated discussion on this topic. Could benefit many.

11. dr.moriarty

Imandy Mann likes this.
  12. Imandy Mann

Went to look and will have to go back again. To check the key you said shows if msconfig is being used.

Almost gave @Earthling a like for post # 7 'till I remembered where I was - then I saw me @ # 9. Been awhile.

Still seems a need of an updated topic of any new utilities that are good for easy use.

13. dr.moriarty

There is a need for additional members who are willing to test software, for the purpose of updating the topic.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Imandy Mann likes this.
  14. Imandy Mann

To do that, I'm sure, requires a fully updated current system. Mine wouldn't qualify.

15. Imandy Mann

I don't have that key. Give me one to check for.

There is a need for additional members who are willing to test software, for the purpose of updating the topic

16. dr.moriarty

Which key don't you have?

17. jcdgl

thank you for all your input. I read through them and chose to use Spypot it only found 2 entries for coupon bar which it could not remove. Also ran malaware and adware everything is clean. All the other info was to confusing for me to deceiver but I appreciate you trying to help me. Also thanks I did not see the upload file. I have not turned anything off in my start up so everything is about the same. I did defrag so I will see if that helps

18. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

My apologies for any confusion. It was my fault for suggesting an improper use of Ccleaner. :oops: I deciphered a few things, too. WhatInStartup
    seems to be an acceptable and simple tool to temporarily disable start ups, without creating potentially serious registry issues.

If you want to try my method to disable the two items, I mentioned in post#7, download WhatInStartup here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/whatinstartup.html
    Unzip and run it.
    Left click an entry to highlight it, then right click and select disable.
    Do this for the two startups, I indicated:
    HKCU:Run Google Update Google Inc. "C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    HKLM:Run APSDaemon Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
    Do Not Delete them.

Exit WhatInStartup and restart your computer. See if you notice any performance improvement. Let us know the results.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  19. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The only item in your startup list that I would keep would be the Microsoft Security Client. Everything else can be started if/when you have need for it.

20. jcdgl

thank you for your help I am used to dealing with one person so this is very confusing for me I tried the whatsin startup so I will see how things go from here thank you

21. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

I have another one to disable with WhatInStartup:
    HKLM:Run QuickTime Task Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    See if it improves performance by doing so and please let me know how things are going.

Earthling may be right, but since I'm not specifically familiar with each of your startups, I prefer to try to check one or two at a time, so you can
    achieve suitable performance, yet retain convenience, provided by the remaining startups, without sacrificing any functionality of
    your programs and devices by the ones we disable.

Here is a link to a "how to" by Major Attitude on making things run smoother:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_make_your_computer_run_like_new_in_4_easy_steps.html

22. jcdgl

thank you for your help but I think I will leave it alone for now

23. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds