Mouse Reset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peterr, Sep 25, 2016.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    My wireless mouse was erratic and I did many things to trouble shoot. I looked all over the web for a solution.
    The desktop itself was hanging and acting awkwardly too.
    I accidentally noticed a very small bump on the USB thumb drive that connects with the mouse wwhile changing ports once agaain. It is hardly noticeable but after depressing it for a few seconds it must have reset the mouse.
    The PC and all are now like they are brand new.

For those who read this and think the mobo or other things including the mouse are going, see if you can find a reset on either the stick or the mouse. Depress it for about 5 seconds and see if it makes a difference.
    Good luck.
    Peter

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

It is likely that is a Bluetooth (BT) wireless mouse and you pressed the "pairing" button. It is not really a reset button, but a reset is, in effect, what probably happened. Oh, it is a BT "dongle" or "transceiver", not a USB thumb drive. A thumb drive is a storage device (hence "drive").

Note many wireless mice are not BT. They run at 2.4GHz and typically the "pairing" code is hard coded in the dongle's firmware for the specific mouse it came packaged with. This allows for the use of several mice in the same room or office, for example, to work with their respective computers without interfering with each other.

Any way, I am glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting your solution.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I am glad you explained that. I was confused because there were no directions and not much on the web. You really have to look hard to see the bump on the flash drive. I know I lost BT in the desktop when I ugraded from Win 7 and did not know it was BT in the flash drive connecting to the BT in the mouse.
    I cannot get over the difference it made; as I said I tried everything and was worried the motherboard was going. All's well...........

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Great!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds