Confused

Discussion in 'Software' started by yazzie0, Sep 26, 2016.

1. yazzie0

yazzie0 Private E-2

Hello

Recently when I switched to Windows 10 on my laptop I found I was being bugged by Norton who somehow managed to get into my laptop. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P750 and when I first got it Norton was pre-installed. At the time I was able to get rid of it but not this time. After trying to get rid of it using Revo uninstaller I discovered after a while that it had not completely disappeared from my laptop. Since Revo had already been used it could not get the lingering "dregs" or maybe I couldn't work out how to get Revo to dig a little deeper. So I wrote to my Antivirus warrior Bit Defender ( have Bit Defender Antivirus Plus 2016) and asked them what I should do to get rid of Norton as it was also constantly bugging me to pay for their services because according to them my one month's free trial was over. Bit defender wrote back advising me to first uninstall Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware, something called Windows Live Family Safety and of course Symantec.

They referred to them as "multiple security solutions" and advised me that running multiple security programs on the same computer could affect their proper functionality. I knew this about Norton hence I was trying to get rid of it. But everything I have researched and read about Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware seemed to indicate that these were preferable programs to use in addition to an antivirus program. So I have paid versions of them which are due for renewal in a couple of months. Bit Defender also tells me that I could keep Malwarebytes but needed to switch off the “real time protection” off as it interferes with their own functions. Would you please be able to advise me on this?

Thanks

2. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

yazzie0 likes this.
  3. yazzie0

yazzie0 Private E-2

Thank you for taking the time out to respond to my request for help and I apologise for the delay in my response I had been checking but mistakenly thought I would get a "message" so due to the lapse in my memory - I just put it down as a "not such an urgent question and may take a little longer situation". For some reason, I kept checking the messages section and not my posts area. Yes, I have tried but and this was within a week after I had switched over to Windows 10 which was on the 28th of July. Initially, I noticed Norton's presence on my laptop and accidently tried to get rid of it straight away using the standard method of "uninstall" via the Windows 10. Bad move! I should have known better! Because of course, it kept popping up to remind me to make sure I paid for my subscription as the free period was getting near the end as well as letting me know that all was going well. That is when I tried the Norton removal tool. Some more stuff was removed but not enough. I then tried Revo but of course, once you have "uninstalled" via Windows or any other program and the job has not been thorough enough it can't seem to pick up the hidden leftovers that are still causing a problem. However, I think I have managed to get rid of every lot a with a lot of fiddling around - well I spent hours searching for all traces and worked on the registry as well it has not shown up anywhere again. Interestingly enough I have found the "Everything Search Engine" downloaded from your site invaluable in uncovering every drop of everything on my laptop :) - Anything, just anything - you name it and it will find it for you, provided you are looking for what you know is there in the computer.

Would it be possible for me to get some advice on what I should do to ensure my computer is protected as well as possible? I am about to renew my subscription with Bit Defender Antivirus Plus - however, would it be better for me to use Bit Defender Total Security? Based on their advice I uninstalled Super Antispyware, Windows Live Family Safety and kept Malwarebytes going but disabled the "real time protection". I must say I was feeling quite anxious about uninstalling Super Antispyware as I have found that program terrific and very thorough. In fact lately, I have not been sure (and this is before disabling the live protection element) whether Malwarebytes were scanning in the regular routine I had set for them. And if for some reason I had to use them randomly out of the usual pattern I had set up no problems were ever picked up but not so with Super Antispyware. They always found PUPs etc to remove. Needless to say, I have always found Malwarebytes to be a solid program, I am just not sure if the program is working as it should at the moment or is this silent approach the way it works on Windows 10. On doing further research, I also read that with the advent of Windows 10 there has been a change in the requirement of security software installations on computers. Is this right? I read that with the smart screen filter in place a lot of malware gets blocked anyway and that using an Anti-Exploit program i.e. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit a free program was recommended and Malwarebytes Antimalware program (for which I have a paid version).

So would it be possible to advise me a recommended line of systems for Windows 10. I have not as yet installed windows 10 on my desktop as I want a get a complete handle on understanding the ins and outs of 10 and I have practically no personal data on the laptop just in case something goes wrong. When I was on Windows 7 (My desktop still in on 7) I had no complaints from Bitdefender about using the programs that worked on protecting me from malware spyware etc, but now, they reckon the same programs (especially Super Antispyware) quote "Running multiple security solutions on the same PC may affect their proper functionality as they compete for access to the same system resources. Even if they are turned off, there are some active processes running in the background." unquote. Which I don't in this case understand and it really didn't deal with the issue I had on hand which was getting rid of Norton. The Laptop was running fine!

Thanks in advance

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

In order to remove all traces of Norton, you do have to run the official removal tool at least twice, and you must do a restart of the system in between each run.
    As far as having just one real-time anti-virus program installed and running, the choice of which one is yours. The benefits of a paid program as opposed to a free program is limited to user facilities that don't have much, if anything, to do with protection.
    But you must not have (in addition to Windows inbuilt security) more than one official real-time AntiVirus program.
    As far as other software is concerned, it is safe to have the MalwareBytes premium version installed in real-time protection alongside one AV program
    SuperAntiSpyware free version can be kept installed for periodic scanning.

General advice here:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/how-to-protect-yourself-from-malware.44525/

yazzie0 likes this.
  5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Are you sure you worded that the way you meant it Max? Sounds like Win 10 users can also have a second AV, which they should not of course.

satrow likes this.
  6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  7. Earthling

Depends which Defender you are talking about. Pre Win 10 Defender that is correct, but with Win 10 you either have Defender or a third party AV, not both.

satrow likes this.
  8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I've had Comodo IS Premium for years. Works just fine on Windows 10 on 4 systems. Essentially in Windows 10, any decent third party AV turns off WD. That's what Comodo does automatically. Works just fine. I'd be amazed if all those people here using any of the others, like Avast or Avira or BitDefender don't see the same thing happening on Win 10.

9. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Strange, I was under the impression, which seems to be backed up by the above HTG link and MS's Technet, that it was Windows that enabled disabled Defender, depending on whether any 3rd party AV is installed, not the 3rd party AV 'interfering' with Windows to do that.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If Windows 10 automatically disables WD when a 3rd party AV program installs, then great. Makes for happy days. Either way, no problem exists. :)

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

And even when WD is off, as another AV program is installed, it can still be enabled - in concert with the other AV program - to do periodic scans:
    Untitled.jpg

12. Earthling

With a convenient memory like yours Max perhaps you should have gone into politics. But looking at your Avatar, perhaps you have :p

13. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Familiarize yourself with this sticky in the Malware Removal Forum http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/how-to-protect-yourself-from-malware.44525/

Run Norton Removal Tool twice and restart your computer after each run. Download CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ccleaner_standard.html Run the Cleaner feature once (analyze and clean), using the default settings, CCleaner has checked off. Run the Registry feature (scan an fix issues) also, using the default checks. Exit CCleaner.

Regarding Bitdefender, I suggest you upgrade to the AntiVirus Plus 2017 and run it as your realtime AV program. The Total Security 2017 would be good if you had several devices to protect, but it seems you have the one computer, so it would be a waste money. Each package uses
    the same AV engine as the other, so you gain nothing by spending more money on realtime AV.

If Bitdefender techs say turn off Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware realtime modes, when running Bitdefender, I would heed their advice for now. Later, you might test each to see if they degrade performance. I tested Bitdefender against Malwarebytes a few years ago on an XP
    system and didn't notice any direct conflict. However, I did notice the system slowed a bit. Your Win10 environment may have other realtime concerns, the Bitdefender people are aware of. System scanning once a week with Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware will probably sufficient in addition to a periodic fullscan with Bitdefender.

Smart Screen Filter comes under the category of identifying a bad website before you go there and does download checking. It works, but is limited in that it can only respond to the current base of bad sites. The baddies come faster than the list can be updated.

yazzie0 likes this.
  14. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Give close attention to chaslang's sticky (I gave link in my previous post) on updates and firewalls. If you have a router-modem, your best bet
    is to check the manufacturer's website for support in using its firewall feature. Else, start a thread in our Hardware Forum. I can't help much
    with 3rd party software firewalls. Most seem to be out of date, or cost money, which I don't have. One "free" one I know is recent, is Free Firewall and can be found here http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/free_firewall.html.

Updates: Win10 doesn't seem to give you many options. If you run into problems, check out the Software Forum here. As a rule, keep the rest of
    your programs up todate. A helpful tool is SUMo http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sumo.html
    Check the MajorGeeks homepage daily for recent updates.

Some other programs, you may find useful:
    CryptoPrevent http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/cryptoprevent.html
    Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_exploit_(formerly_exploitshield).html
    Unchecky http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unchecky_beta.html
    SpywareBlaster http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/spywareblaster.html

Good luck with your security profile:)

15. yazzie0

yazzie0 Private E-2

Thank You All
    For the discussion and links provided. I will go through them and follow the instructions. There are a couple of things I am still unclear about and this probably because I have been a windows 7 user for so long.

1. Windows Firewall - I had only been using this as a firewall while on W-7 should I have used another one as well? From all that I had read, it was enough just to use the windows firewall. So StruldBrug you feel an extra one is necessary or both because I have windows firewall on at the moment.
    2. Windows Defender - I had switched off Windows Defender as at the time I did not find it effective and had a massive virus attack which was a very situation. I tried to fix it with help of "Major Geeks" but then I fell ill and had to get outside help and that cost me more than I could afford. I have done the same with Windows 10 all the advice channels say you cannot have 2 antivirus programs going at the same time because of conflict issues.
    Perhaps I will first read the links provided and see if the answers are there.

With regards to renewing my Bit Defender subscription I actually have one Toshiba laptop, a custom made desktop and an Asus laptop which is about 7 years old and still working. It has Windows XP loaded on and I plan to get it going again. At the moment Bit Defender is offering a highly reduced price for both the AntiVirus Plus and Total of $30.00 each. I also have a Sony tablet and a small very basic one I use when I want to read any of my reference books on kindle and a new Samsung mobile phone - I am actually not sure whether using Bit Defender for the Android devices is worth it. At the moment I happen to have Malwarebytes on the Samsung and it seems to do the job. But my husband uses the Sony tablet all the time and it has had the same software protection called "Secure Anywhere" on it since it was bought around 2 years ago with no issues at any stage - so it seems to do the job too. Perhaps I should just focus on protection for the computer and laptops. Since the price is the same for both the Bit Defender programs I decided to go with the "Total" version and it is done. :)

Best wishes
    Yazzie0

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

1. Windows 10 inbuilt FW is fine
    2. It is third party real-time protection AV programs (Eg Avira, Comodo, Avast, AVG, ESET etc) where you must not have two of them installed on the same system, even if one is disabled. When you install one of those, then Windows Defender essentially 'sleeps'. It will re-enable itself if you uninstall a 3rd party AV program. There is no conflict having one externally downloaded real-time protection AV program installed on Windows 10.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Eldon likes this.
  17. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

:oops:
    No, just one software firewall should be used. If you are satisfied with the Win10 "inbuilt", stay with it.:)

18. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

To avoid confusion, Windows FW in Win 10 is fine and many users are happy with it, but you can install a third-party software Firewall without any conflict. Many do. I have Comodo on all 4 of my systems, it is better than the Windows FW in home versions of Windows 10. Of course, it is two separate 3rd party FWs that would cause a problem, not one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds