Motherboard Power Help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kjb125, Sep 13, 2016.

1. kjb125

kjb125 Private First Class

Hello all....

I skimmed around in the forums and really didn't see any post with this problem, if I missed something please point me in the right direction.

I'll try to explain my problem the best I can...

Came back from vacation and my computer would not power up. I suspected a storm took it out. I replaced the power supply and still got nothing. I suspected the motherboard next. And in this process decided to upgrade a little.

I got the gigabyte Z170x-UD3 motherboard with the i7 6700k and new memory sticks (g-skill).

Got everything in the case and hooked up..now it still will not power up.

The only light I see is on the LAN connection on the back of the case...any ideas what I screwed up :) ?

Components: (new)Gigabyte Z170x-UD3 mobo,(new) i7 6700k LGA 1151,(new) 16 gig memory G-Skill Rip Jaws, Geforce 950, cooler master CPU fan, (new)cooler master v1000 power supply

Any help would be appreciated...

2. kjb125

I should add...No beeps, no lights (except for that LAN light), and no fans try to start.

Thanks for your help in advance.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you check the power cable?

4. kjb125

Power cable? As in being hooked up...yes power cord is plugged in to the wall and both plugs are plugged in to the mobo...

5. Eldon

Sometimes we overlook the obvious...
    1. If there's a switch at the back of the tower case, is it on?
    2. If the monitor plugs into the tower case, plug it into the socket outlet and look if it comes on.

6. kjb125

I understand completely.. Switch is on..I even tried a different wall socket...the monitor and power supply are on the same surge protector. Monitor has power (i even switch their positions on the surge protector, monitor had power in both slots).

7. Eldon

Ok.
    Look at the back of the power button on the front of the tower case. There's a switch. Is it firmly in place?

8. kjb125

OK...took case apart...as far as i can see, yes it is plugged in.

9. Eldon

Did anyone have access to your PC while you where on vacation?

The switch could be broken. Do you know how to briefly short the 2 wires?
    Also, test the power cable on the monitor.

10. kjb125

PC was off while we were gone (no one here)... short the wires? I have briefly read something about using a paper clip where the power (for switch) plugs into the mobo?

11. Eldon

Yes.
    You'll have to read up on this - I'm not comfortable even telling someone in person how to do this.

Did you test the power cable?
    Something doesn't seem right. You've replace everything and still no power.

12. kjb125

just went on PC parts picker.... and from what I can tell all my parts are compatible to this mobo... got me puzzled also..

I will swap cords and let you know what happens..

13. Eldon

Just to be sure - plug directly into the wall socket.
    I'll only be back in the morning.

14. kjb125

ok swapped cords....still the same..no power...only light on is the "LAN" light on back of case..

I can plug power source in and with the switch on the psu set to the "O" i have nothing..no power no light
    When I switch the switch to the "I" i have nothing except the LAN light is on

15. kjb125

OK i'll check back in the morning also...thanks for your help and time!!

16. kjb125

Did a little more reading around the internet, and maybe I bent a pin putting in the processor or even got some thermal compound on the pins...I am going to pull every thing apart and look!!

I ordered some thermal compound, so I will have to wait for that to arrive b4 I can reinstall everything...

I will hold off until tonight before disassembling, just in case anyone comes up with an idea..

I will come back with an update later on tonight or tomorrow.

17. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I doubt you bent a pin. If not too late, I would leave the CPU alone.

I would first verify all the power connections are secure and remember, most motherboards need 2 or 3 connections directly from the PSU. And many graphics cards require direct power connections too.

If all okay, then verify the wires from case's front panel are on the correct pins on the motherboard's front panel I/O header. If correct, then I would pull the two wires from the case's power button from that motherboard header then VERY CAREFULLY take a flat tip screwdriver and momentarily short the two (and ONLY those two) motherboard pins together with the screwdriver tip. If the computer starts up, then your case's switch is bad. And in that case, I would just move the wires from the reset button over to the power button pins and use the reset button from then on.

If it does not power up, you need to pull the motherboard. Understand cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards so it is normal for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than motherboards have mounting holes. A common mistake by new assemblers and distracted pros alike is to insert more brass standoffs in the case than the motherboard needs. So you need to pull the board and verify you only have a standoff where there is a corresponding mounting hole.

And if me, with the board out, I would assemble the computer outside the case on a large bread/cutting board, or plain, brown piece of cardboard. Then use the screwdriver tip and see if the computer starts.

18. kjb125

Not to late..lol...i got a little busy doing other things today...if I don't get to this tonight, it will def. be the weekend. I will post back and let you know whats going on. Thank you for the reply!

I do have the stand-offs in the right place and the right amount (no extras)...I did make sure of that.

19. Digerati

Well if you are 200% sure about the standoffs, there could still be a foreign object under the board - a loose screw, for example.

I would still make all your power connections are correct and tight. And would still try the screwdriver short trick. I've heard of a similar case and it ended up being a spider decided to take up residence in the switch while the PC was in storage. So you might remove the front panel (which can be tricky) and inspect the switch. These switches are often held in place by bent metal prongs. If the button is pressed too hard too many times, those prongs can bend open and allow the button switch to come loose preventing a good mechanical, thus electrical contact. You typically can bend the prongs back, but like many things like this, once the metal is bent out of place, then bent back in, it loses temper, becomes weak and easily bent out of shape again. So that takes us back to using the reset button in that case.

But if all the cables are tight, including the front panel cables, and the screw driver trick does not work, then I am afraid that storm might have taken out the motherboard too. :(

It would be good to test that first PSU to see if it is really bad. While I don't normally recommend the paperclip test because there is no load, it does not verify if all voltages are present, or that they are within tolerance and "clean" (no ripple). So it is in no way conclusive, but will at least tell you if your first (and second) PSU can turn on. Note as long as you get the right pins, there is no danger of damage, or shock to you. The only hazardous voltages are inside the PSU. So stay out of that unless you are a qualified electronics technician.

20. kjb125

I will check under the board...I did have the front cover off (mine is pretty easy) and everything looked fine, but i am no electrician!!

This mobo that is in there now is new...the old one, i suspected the storm got. That's why I'm confused because just about everything is new and the only light I see is on the LAN connection on the back of the machine...I will double check the things you talked about and check behind the board again...I will try to bench build it and see what happens.

I may switch that reset plug 1st, just to see what I get!

I am pretty sure on the stand-offs..but yes I will double check!!

21. Digerati

If you can see the back side of the switch, it would be pretty obvious if the switch mounting clamp/mechanism was not holding the switch in the proper alignment for proper function.
    Which typically suggests the +5Vsb standby voltage from the PSU is on. It does not tell you the +12, +5, or +3.3V work problem when the PSU comes out of standby (powers up completely).

22. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Have you plugged a lamp into the outlet to see if it is hot or is there a switch to turn that outlet on and off? You might be plugged into an outlet that is off.
    Some outlets are only hot when the wall switch is turned on likely so you can turn a lamp on when entering a dark room.
    I know it is rudimentary but I read the thread and you seem to have covered all the bases except the origin of the power.
    In re -reading I saw where you saw the LAN so this is superfluous.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  23. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Just to double check, are all the power plugs on the mobo populated? Newer boards often need two four pin plugs for the CPU.

Also, double check to make sure your front panel is connected properly. If you're off by one pin, that's a problem...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds