Windows 10 Login Issues.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stuart Mathers, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Stuart Mathers

Stuart Mathers Private E-2

I have my own machine and have seen a couple of customers machines with the same issue recently.
    ( firstly i am a computer repair technician, so all the obvious suggestions will have been done. I am only taking the time to ask online because there doesnt appear to be many helpful suggestions out there )

i have been having this issue on my own machine on and off for the last few months.
    but have started seeing it more and more at work on customers machine. there is a chance, but cant be 100% sure, its since the anniversary update for windows 10.

when typing the password for the user account you get the spinning dots, for X seconds then back to the login screen, this happens no matter what password you type in be it the right one or random characters. it doesnt even say wrong username or password has been entered.

it logs in ok if you get the spinning dots with the word welcome next to it.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You said that you've had this issue on and off on your own machine for the last FEW months. The Anniversary update was released to the general public on 8/2 and this is 9/26 (1¾ months) so, I doubt that it's the Anniversary update. Also, there have been 2 patches since the Anniversary update release bringing things up to 1607, 14393.187.

But, you could try rolling back to 1511, 10586.585 on your own machine to see if the issue disappears.

Stuart Mathers likes this.
  3. Stuart Mathers

update...

on the customers machine...
    have rolled the machine back a few months, and removed their account password at login..
    all has been fine..
    until...
    after going into sleep mode due to been idle for x minutes it then goes to the user login screen, as there is no password on the account now one just needs to press enter to login...
    but nothing happens..
    when you click the login button with the mouse it just highlights the login button as its pressed but nothing happens..

on my own personal machine it tends to do this after its been in hibertantion or sleep mode..
    i had read somewhere that the power state of the wifi card can cause issues when coming out of sleep. but on my own desktop its hard wired.

4. Stuart Mathers

i say a few months it could be less, i am absolutely awful at judging time that has passed.
    the additional patches could be the cause, as the customers machine still had the anniversary update in after the system restore and has since installed a handful of new updates. will have a butchers at the last lot of updates gone in.

5. mdonah

In Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change advanced power settings, you can change require a password on wakeup to no.

I have my two laptops running Windows 10 set that way because I'm the only person that touches either. Unfortunately, you don't know if your customers want things that way.

6. Stuart Mathers

think i might have tracked down the offending update.
    its in update KB3193494 ( 3178469 MS16-112 ) it is specific to the lock screen.
    but typically of microsoft products.. it kicks up an error when trying to remove this update.. lol.

7. Stuart Mathers

on the customers machine it runs fine until i force it into sleep mode and then faced with the log in screen on wake up.
    so yeah unless i can get this update out and gone then its the only solution to their issue.

i have also just noticed they have some additional login security that adobe reader are offering in their downloads. intel security true key
    might be that conflicting with the MS stuff.

8. Stuart Mathers

whats making this a total pain, just like most MS issues is the cause on one machine can be a totally different cause for same fault on another.
    the infamous windows 10 task bar not responding after the free update is another example..
    have found several fixes for the same fault that vary from machine to machine.

9. Stuart Mathers

dont know if its due to windows updates but that option isnt there.
    there used to be a time when no password was on the account there was no login screen.

have even checked on another windows 10 machine we have just done a fresh install on.
    nothing there.

have just used the netplwiz command and disabled sign in.
    so far it appears to be working. but have only tested once after putting machine in a sleep state.

10. Stuart Mathers

update,, even disabling login using the netplwiz still brings up the win10 lock screen and sign in button after sleep mode.

11. mdonah

It was my mistake about the Power Options (sorry, I was in Win 8.1). In Win 10, see below.

Screen Saver.jpg

12. Stuart Mathers

thats what i thought,, but due to there been so many new windows for options in win10 i thought i might of missed it.
    and what you have shown re the resume option that is already un ticked.

i have done a bit more reading up and apparently win10 has 2 types of lock screen apps.. one is boot up and one is once booted up ( so from sleep or hibernate ) although they look the same they work slightly different.. or at least this is what i have read.

there used to be a reg hack you could use to take the lock screen out of the equation completely but since the anniversary update it no longer works.

i am currently running through the tweaking repair tool and reseting all windows settings.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds