How Is The Weather In Your Neighborhood?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Anon-9aee479f8f, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Don't worry joffa.
    Come the festive/holiday/Christmas season... we'll be soaking up the sun and the beer. And we'll eat lots and lots of meat. Afterall, the gasses emitted by those animals are posing a serious threat to the ozone layer... :p

joffa and DavidGP like this.
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Oh just rub it in why don't you! :p

3. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Yep it is just after 5am and the storm has blown itself out but it is still only 5°C.... BRRRRR :eek:
    Lucky I have a fairly solid brick house with a tile roof so OK from the wind but I do have a 60M long paved driveway which turned into a stream..... phew I'm also glad I live on the high side of the street because the surface water flowed down my drive and under the front gate then across the street and down the road to the park at the bottom of my street ;)

You've got a point there and of course.....mmmmmm meat and we are looking after the environment by eating steak :cool:
    Just thinking out loud ..... it's getting close to spring lamb time so can't wait for some roast dinners or lamb chops and lamb cutlets cooked on the BBQ :cool:

Eldon likes this.
  4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Now you're both rubbing it in!

5. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

Expected 100-105 today. Had a bit of a storm last night. Heavy rain starting at 8:30. Lasted for three hours or more.
    The wind has blown away carport covers in the past couple of weeks.

6. Eldon

Can't help it. :D
    It's so cold I have to sit down to pee. :eek:

joffa and Imandy Mann like this.
  7. Imandy Mann

Was on a roof Wednesday changing an ac machine. Morning so hot we had a 10x10 canopy and a beach umbrella for shade. After lunch we got caught in a wind and rain storm and had to finish. Had to hold the canopy and umbrella and put pieces on the building at the same time. At times the wind blowing the rain sideways. From 12 to 4:30 we fought this. Got it done. Guess what - then the rain stopped. Glad it was summer here!

8. joffa

I know the feeling.... it has been so cold here that when I went to my sisters place in the hills yesterday (to fix her pc lol) I thought the water in the toilet had frozen over :eek:
    Even the wild native ducks that usually swim in her pool were hiding under the table on the verandah o_O
    The ducks must have been very cold because they don't usually come near humans so my sister made up a big mixing bowl with hot water and some bread crusts for them and they really liked this :cool::D

Eldon likes this.
  9. Bob D.

What a storm. Started about 9:00PM. The rain drops sound like they're several ounces each.

10. joffa

Lucky they are not hailstones..... a few years ago I lost all the windows (nine of them) up one side of the house, the skylights in the kitchen and the bathroom plus all the large roof light panels and windows in my workshop. My son's car got dents all over the roof and bonnet and the laminated windshield was cracked. The hailstones were about the size of large oranges and the hail storm only lasted about 10 minutes although the heavy rain continued all day.

11. DavidGP

Kinda sunny today, wanted to wash car but dunno, feeling too lazy!

12. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Unusually wet July, when it is not raining it is muggy and hot.

13. Eldon

Tomorrow is the last day of winter. The forecast predicted 38°C / 100°F. :eek:

14. melen1717

melen1717 Guest

I think you mean "last day of summer"..... I live on the east coast of Puerto Rico in the city of Humacao and it was 104F. Very very hot....

15. Imandy Mann

Eldon -my check @ dateandtime zone there shows 38/78? 100 already would be crazy hot!

16. DavidGP

temp is 24c but its been raining so now humid and I have a + and - tolerance to temp but humidity wipes me out.

17. Imandy Mann

18. Bob D.

Out here in the south west desert, the rainy days are nearly over. Temps. are in the two digits with a little more humidity.

19. Eldon

No. Last day of winter. Today is the first day of spring - I'm so exited I wet my plants...:p
    I live in South Africa.
    38°C = 100.4°F

20. Imandy Mann

My page showed 38 for the low and 78 for the high, both in Fahrenheit? So did it really hit 100? On the first day of Spring? That would have to be a record.

21. Eldon

Yes. It must be a record for the last day of winter.
    Surrounding areas were over 40°C / 104°F.
    Our weather has drastically changed.

22. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Hunkering down here. Hermine is expected to dump 4-7 inches - gonna be a wet weekend.

23. Imandy Mann

Steady wind building up with rain off and on. Have to hit the road @ 4am. Hope the bridges are still open.

24. Caliban

Be safe, man - good luck.

25. Imandy Mann

Luckily I'm on the edge of the western side. Might wake me up early with the sound in the trees. Folks to the east have more concerns.

26. Anon-9aee479f8f

Today was very hot with a heat index over 100 and humid. First day of Fall Equinox is ‎September 22 here in the USA.
    I like Fall and especially the leaf color changes. The only thing about Fall that I do not like is it does not last long enough and the days get shorter.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  27. DavidGP

Overcast and par for course for UK! Warm though.... and high pollen so my hay-fever is making me postal today.

28. Bob D.

Patchy clouds. Thunder, sporadic cloudbursts. Humid.

29. joffa

It is a sunny spring morning right at this moment and 16°C but there are dark clouds in the distance and we are supposed to be having showers this afternoon :(
    Oh well it has been drizzly rainy weather for the past week so hopefully it clears up before Friday because I want to mow the front and back yards and hopefully it will be OK for a BBQ on Saturday ;)

30. Caliban

Starting to get some outward bands of rain from Julia here near the South Carolina coast. Nothing major forecasted, but predictions of rain (sometimes heavy) for the next week are raising some fears of local flooding.

31. joffa

Over here it has been raining all day, in fact it is persisting down......... which is OK by me as today I am sitting in hospital looking out the window after having an op at 7:00am. Hopefully I can go home in a few more hours or after dinner coz I don't want to stay the night:rolleyes:

32. DavidGP

Sunny and 16degC with some breeze thats just perfect today.

33. Bob D.

It's been really windy all day. It is 12:30 AM. Just started raining.

34. joffa

After sunny weather for a couple of days, today it has gone back to being rainy and cold :(
    Just had the kids over for a family roast dinner and while seeing them off got drenched in our driveway :(

35. Anon-9aee479f8f

Beautiful Fall day with temps in mid 70s. Last week it was in the mid 90s. Big change from one week until the next.

36. DavidGP

Light rain but getting cold now, 1st time this week I had to put the heater on in my work office. Noticing its darker in the mornings also,

37. Eldon

Cold! It's like a second winter.
    I have to sit down to pee. :rolleyes:

38. joffa

We change to daylight saving this weekend so hopefully with the longer days we'll get better weather :rolleyes:
    .........but I am not holding my breath coz currently South Australia is having torrential rain wich has been causing serious floods and as well as in parts of Victoria too. The Great Ocean Road is having problems with landslides and parts of it have been closed to traffic in case the road falls into the sea or vehicles get hit with mud and rocks.
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/h...looded-parts-of-victoria-20160919-grk0no.html

39. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Weather has changed.....autumn is upon us. The hummingbirds have departed.

40. Bob D.

Is it the cold or advancing age. :p

41. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It will NOT stop raining. We haven't gone a day without rain in over a week. It's cold, it's rainy, and the only reason I'm not more miserable is because it's still rain and not snow.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  42. michael robinson

michael robinson Corporal

for me it is cold and and rainy and snow.

43. Bob D.

We don't do that in Arizona, where I live.

44. michael robinson

michael robinson Corporal

we do that too where i live at

45. Eldon

Both! :D

46. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It's already snowing in Pennsylvania??? :eek:

47. joffa

Jeez real bad day yesterday. High winds and torrential rain put many trees over the power lines in my area causing widespread blackouts and power surges. :(
    We lost power 5 times during the day for 1 to 2 hours each time. When the power came back on for the 4th time, the resulting voltage spike killed my 3kw APC online UPS and then, because I had a work deadline, I plugged one of my NAS servers into the regular power point and was working from my laptop when the 5th power outage occurred and the voltage spike killed the Thecus 28TB NAS :mad:

I was just speaking to my insurance company and they were talking about the torrential storm being an "act of god" thus limiting their liability............just what I wanted to hear when I have a AU$3000 dead UPS and AU$3700 dead NAS.... why do I even pay insurance grrrrrrr :mad::mad::mad:
    They suggested I contact the power supply company as "their" power system caused all the damage so their insurance should pay...........good one............grrrrr :mad::mad::mad:

I really need a holiday..... somewhere nice.... with no phones or internet :rolleyes:

Eldon likes this.
  48. Imandy Mann

@joffa - I have seen a lightning strike take out a different company's GreenLee Pipe Bender. After the storm and power back on, the bender would trip the power panel's breaker. Phone calls said $800 for the power supply. We opened it up and across the mains was a MOV surge suppressor the size of a 50 cent piece. Badly charred and looking like molten metal. Once it was snipped from across the mains, it worked. The UPS may have it own protection across the input.

Caliban and joffa like this.
  49. joffa

Thanks Imandy Mann but my guess is the UPS took a hit the first three times when the power either went out or came back on and it couldn't survive the fourth hit. I pulled off the cover and the main control board is quite charred. There was a MOV protecting things but it is now open circuit and my guess is that it failed on the third time and was no longer offering any protection for the fourth time, the pcb then took the hit. Most of the damage is in the power supply area but without a circuit diagram it would be hard to ascertain the true extent of the damage so better to just replace the control board if I can get one as that would be the most reliable option.
    My APC UPS is about 6 or 7 years old and has recently had all the large 25amp SLA batteries replaced as well as the same size batteries in the extra battery box so it is worth fixing. I have spoken to the APC people and they say that because it is an older model it may take a couple of months to get a replacement control board otherwise they may be able to offer a refurbished upgrade that will be compatible with my auxiliary battery box..

Just discovered the 65" Hisense TV in the front home theatre has also failed as it was on standby :(
    Now I am awaiting a response from my power supplier re: damages, as per instruction from my insurers :rolleyes:

Imandy Mann likes this.
  50. Imandy Mann

Hope all turns out well!

joffa likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds