Hp Laptop Needs A Replacement Battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oli, Oct 18, 2016.

1. oli

oli Corporal

On my taskbar I have a message saying that a replacement battery is needed. My computer is so very slow and I am curious if this is the reason for the slowness? I haveto use the computer with it plugged in at all times otherwise I will lose power within 8 minutes.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you go to the HP Support site and enter the serial number (or whichever number they request) of your laptop, then go to parts, they should have the correct battery. But, they'll more than likely charge an arm and a leg for it. Go to a place like eBay and search for an OEM or genuine HP replacement battery for your exact model number - you'll pay a lot less.

No, the battery needing replacement isn't the reason for the slowdown because it's slow whether running on battery or AC. There could be several other reasons for that including low disk space, the hard drive is badly fragmented, too many startup programs, etc. Get the battery and then post in the Software section about a slow PC.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Not likely. While it is common for notebooks to throttle down when they sense the battery is running low, it is not likely you would "see" it significantly slow down. Typically, the most notable difference is the monitor dims in brightness, and some features might be disabled (Bluetooth, for example).

Do speed return to normal when you run with the charger plugged in?

4. oli

oli Corporal

It took 1/2 hour to load this page. 278 GB free space. 3% was fragmented but defraged last week. This HP laptop is about 5 years old and is running Windows 7 Premium.

5. oli

oli Corporal

I always run plugged in since I have a bad battery, saws makes no difference between battery and AC.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You now need to look for other reasons for the slowness and post in the software forum if you need further help.
    Things you can do yourself right now is do checks on the hard drive integrity via CHKDSK
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/
    You can also do a sfc /scannow to check system file integrity via an administrator command prompt:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833
    see here to load an easy to read text file of the scan to your desktop
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833#bookmark-cbs log
    You can look at start ups either in Task Manager > start ups (depending on your OS which you never told us about) or CCleaner Slim > Tools > Start Ups

As already said the battery issue is completely separate to the slow running of the system itself.

7. oli

oli Corporal

Don't know how to check the the drive that is being used. On the next reboot nothing happened, except that I got a message that says NTFs is clean.
    So right now I am doing a chkdsk in safe mode. So far I am finding a number of corrupt files and a number of file record segments unreadable. As of now I am at 6% complete.

8. oli

oli Corporal

Was finally able to run the chkdsk on the 'C' drive. It has increase noticeably, but I am not sure if it is at its max possible.

9. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds