Acer Aspire Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JonahWales, Oct 10, 2016.

1. JonahWales

JonahWales Staff Sergeant

windows 10 ,32 gig hard drive,,These things are crazy-it does an update and have 2 gig left on drive so i try to do a reset but cant -it said i need 2 more gigs ,so i do a roll back and was able to do factory reset--i cant get the 0S on two dvds -i have to buy a stupid thumb drive--why didnt they make these things with an 80 gig drive-it would of cost maybe 2 more dollars

the worst thing is i have no mouse, yet it will work with external mouse

im through with buying windows i think

btw "advanced system care" software seemed to have saved my xp computer for now anyway

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

First of all try disk clean up > run that
    Then again but this time choose 'clean up system files'

Run CCleaner Slim (only in its 'default' settings) and run the cleaner. Use its 'Tools' to remove all but the latest System Restore point.

Other things to free space is do a clean uninstall (using something decent like Revo Uninstaller in its Advanced mode) of any programs you don't need or use.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I agree with the suggestion Max provided. You need to clean out the clutter. But unless you already have CCleaner installed, I would skip that. No need to take up more precious space with yet another program that takes up space when you are already desperately low on space. Same with other 3rd party uninstallers.

You can easily remove all but the most recent Restore Point with Windows own built in Disk Cleanup. In your disk's Properties window, click on "Disk Cleanup". Then in the next window for Disk Cleanup, select "Clean up system files" > "More Options" tab, then "Clean up..." under the System Restore and Shadow Copies section. Then follow the prompts to clean up.

I would then go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall any program you installed that you don't use. If you are not sure, leave it.

Under your Downloads folder, you should be able to delete anything in there. Many of these will be older program versions anyway. You can always visit the program's site and download the latest later.

Regardless of all these actions, this will only be temporary. 32GB is a tiny amount of space to house a big OS like Windows. For a permanent fix, you will need to replace your boot drive with a larger disk. I recommend 250-256GB and if budget allows, a SSD. This will be plenty big for Windows, all your programs, and all your personal data files (except large videos and such), and still give Windows lots of room to work optimally in.

You probably don't want to hear it, but XP needs to go away. Retiring perfectly good and functional, but obsolete hardware before it dies is just a fact of life. We have all done this with cassette players, CRT TVs, VCR players and tapes, old cell phones, and more. Computer hardware is no different.

The problem is security - but not just yours. XP systems are primary targets for the bad guys. You (the user) are not the target, the XP computer is. The bad guy wants to infect your computer (without you knowing it!!) to distribute malware and spam and to draft into their bot armies as zombies in DD0S attacks against the rest of us. So if still running XP (because it is no longer supported), it is time to build the budget for a new computer running a modern operating system. Alternatively, you can wipe your 32GB drive and install a free modern version of Linux on it.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm curious...
    What is the model of your Acer Aspire with a 32 GB HDD?

5. Digerati

My guess is it is pretty old, considering it has XP on it too.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  7. Eldon

That's why I'm asking.
    How the heck did he get Windows 10 to install? Surely the CPU doesn't meet the requirements?

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

But they are being sold exactly like that with Windows 10.
    One of the 'marketing' factors about Win 10 was its ability to install on all devices, no matter their size.
    Of course, anyone wanting to download tons of software programs and keep lots of data on a system, would be ill-advised to purchase a system like that.
    Complaining after the event is a bit short-sighted. But some people do want a small lean system and always use an external USB drive for most stuff.

9. Digerati

Oops. Missed that, thanks Max.

Not sure where his comment about XP fits in then. Not many XP era machines can be upgraded to W10 due to incompatibilities and driver support. Perhaps a second machine.

I have seen tablets and other small devices with such tiny drives as the expectation is any storage requirements will be in the cloud as your first link (which does not work, BTW) suggests. I think Acer is stretching it a bit by calling that second device a "laptop". "Netbook" would be more like it - although I see they do offer a version with a 500GB drive.

This is yet another area where Microsoft's "marketing" department lets the Windows developers and us consumers down, IMO. They set the "minimum" requirements way too low. Yes, "technically" W10 will "install" and "run". But the performance will be marginal, at best, and go downhill from there. I note the minimum requires for W10 are:

CPU: 1GHz or faster,
    RAM: 2GB for 32-bit or 64-bit,
    Disk space: 16GB for 32-bit, 20GB for 64-bit,
    Graphics: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver,
    Display: 800 x 600.​

Which takes me to my last point. Microsoft marketing weenies, and in turn, computer makers leave many with the impression those minimums are just fine. So it is not necessarily short-sightedness, but being blind-sided by fluffed-up marketing hype.

10. Eldon

What happened to these requirements?
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-will-your-pc-run-it/

11. Digerati

If you look at the text of that ZDNet article, it says the same thing I said except 1GB of RAM for 32-bit. I note that is also to upgrade to W10 - though not sure it matters. If anything, it just shows why us consumers may be confused.

12. Eldon

You hit the nail on the head.
    The same was said for Windows 7 - 1 GB RAM & 16 GB disk space.
    Windows 8 - no Start Menu - we all have touch screen monitors.
    Windows 10 - forced updates - we all have unlimited internet data.

13. JonahWales

a01 132 aspire one 11

i hate all windows prefer linux or android-just sick of this total nonesemnse
    and microsoft soft help links seem to be written by a robot

14. JonahWales

its just a cheap netbook for 150 to 190 at target etc-comes with 32 gig drive and doesnt seem easy to replace

im just now resetting the stupid thing

i guess there are settings to put stuff in cloud or on external drive

on other i almost use win 98

this xp good for dvd and running record player

i was to get off line and make a cd record music /stuff

have little interest in games downloads or facebook etc

15. JonahWales

it seems like microsoft or someone demanded years ago they want us "to become computer techies "or something or in conclusion with computer repair shops to make money--i do have 3 vcrs boxes of vhs /cassettes crt tv lol

i have win 7 and guess its most reliable

16. Digerati

W7 was definitely a great OS but note it is already 7 years old and mainstream support for it has already ended. W10 is the best Windows yet and fortunately (IMO) can be made to look and feel like W7.

17. JonahWales

spent an hour or so doing a upgrade and still no mouse--i think if i had unplugged the usb dsl modem thing this wouldnt have happened

18. JonahWales

tryed reinstall again and only external mouse works

19. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I'm now unsure what you consider to be the main problem - the lack of hard drive space or the non-functioning touch pad.
    If you have carried out any of the suggestions about disk clean up and system file clean up it would be useful to know.
    For the touch pad you could run, from an administrator command prompt, sfc /scannow.
    If that doesn't work then the Tweaking program may help.

20. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Touchpad drivers could well be 3rd party, SFC checks System files.

21. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I own two Acer Aspire netbooks (no DVD drives). The first thing I did was follow Acer's advice and attach an external DVD burner and make recovery DVDs and a driver and program CD (might be DVD, I don't remember). Acer has all the drivers for each model on the website. So if you looked or made a DVD, you'd have the touchpad driver.

22. JonahWales

ok thanks for advice

i fixed it by going into device manager and clicking on unknown devices to update drivers online so mouse works now

the 32 gig drive is silly....so i need the cloud?

23. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Well, first of all you need to clear out unneeded stuff on the current hard drive as advised in earlier posts.
    32gb is small, so if you want to use multiple software programs on that specific netbook then go for portable apps and use them on a USB pen drive, the same with data such as photos, vidoes etc.
    It's as simple as that.

24. JonahWales

ok so far ive used it little--14 gig space gone--used a one terabyte drive to create a 250 gig space for win 10

25. JonahWales

the search for default save locations

26. plodr

Truthfully, I wouldn't settle for a 32GB hd/ssd in 2016 no matter how good the price looked.
    I bought a 7" eeepc with linux in Jan. 2008 because I wanted it. It came with a 4GB ssd. I can't install a more up to date version of linux because 4GB is just too small.
    I run a live version of linux from a USB stick when I want to surf safely. That little netbook has 2 good things going for it: it is very easy to travel with (with an sd slot and movies loaded on a card, it makes for a great personal entertainment device) and no one is tempted to steal it because it is old, slow and has an outdated version of linux on it. ;)

My Aspires came with 250GB and 500GB hard drives. I don't use this much space but I want room to breath especially when 15% of a hd should remain empty. I'm not sure if this advice applies to ssd drives because they don't have read/write heads.

I've been searching to see if the 15% empty rule applies for ssd drives and USB sticks but so far, I haven't come across any advice one way or the other.

27. JonahWales

I guess this silly thing is ok now but you cant switch out the harddrive for Linux and it only has 2 usb and one hdmi I think its called ports--it was only 150--I own no car and torn between travelling and having a good desktop computer--I wonder if 400 dollar laptops are old style,,,like change memory harddrive-i doubt id spend more

28. JonahWales

I cant edit here?meant to say
    then search for default save locations -not the

29. JonahWales

wonder why when I tried to download sea monkey it ddint go to external but to c": downloads

30. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It is your web browser settings (not your operating system) that will determine where downloaded files get saved. You need to look there.

JonahWales likes this.
  31. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Imandy Mann likes this.
  32. Eldon

Not necessarily. Shop around.
    For the equivalent of $279.00, I bought this laptop on special 3 months ago for a family member.
    The regular price was $348.00.
    http://www.acer.com/ac/en/ZA/content/model/NX.MZ8EA.006

33. JonahWales

seems like these computers cost 2000 in 1985 and you got 64k with just floppys

34. JonahWales

space seems to be going fast form 14 to 18 gigs used -very bad

35. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Do what has been suggested already, and if you need to post back again then confirm you've actually done it: Disk Clean up in both sections including 'clean system files'.
    Use a simple easy to read program like Tree Size to see what's taking up the space and seek advice as to whether any large files can be deleted.

36. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

37. JonahWales

i think i tried the cleanup up thing--maybe i didnt do it right

wish it had more than two 2 usb ports and a 15 pin thing for extra monitor--its somewhat tedious to deal with

38. JonahWales

tree size?hope it works i got 5 left on a 28 gig-crazy computer makers giving us 32

39. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Tree Size will simply show you, in an easy to read format, what the files are that occupy the used space. Nothing more. The rest is down to you.
    You might have more success with this particular issue if you write down on a piece of paper all the suggestions made in this thread over the last two weeks, then tick them off one by one when you are sure you have done them correctly.
    Go into SYSTEM RESTORE and set the space it is allowed to use to 5% and make sure you click on 'apply' before you then click 'ok'.
    You could then run disk clean up AGAIN and make sure you do its two parts, the first part, then open it again and choose 'clean system files', then empty System Restore points.
    Because you have multiple threads going on multiple issues on different systems, if you don't write a check list of actions down for each system issue, and cross them out each time one is done, you will just end up in a muddle, as it seems to appear now.

40. JonahWales

that's a good idea,,but I did save thread to harddrive

deleted chrome got one or 2 gigs back,,If I delete windows office is it still in recovery? Guess they wont let me delete Microsoft edge.maybe ill have to delete seamonkey and just use edge

6.98 free and 21.5 used should I still worry? with a 230 gig external drive on it ,it seems to make no use of tempory files etc just what I download to it

this is the dumbest computer I ever had

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  41. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It was already suggested that you uninstall any program you don't use or need. If you don't need 'Office' then yes uninstall it.
    You cannot remove inbuilt OS programs like Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge. But you can fully uninstall any Windows Apps that came with Windows 10 that you don't want.
    You can run many programs in their 'portable' versions and just run them from the external drive.
    Saving these threads to hard drive is equivalent to useless if you don't follow the suggestions.
    To be frank with you, being unhappy with a system with such a very small hard drive is pointless. There is nothing 'dumb' about a small hard drive. It isn't a MS mistake, it is the buyer not researching first.

Eldon likes this.
  42. Eldon

43. JonahWales

44. JonahWales

45. plodr

Imandy Mann likes this.
  46. Eldon

Start by following MaxTurner's advice.
    1. Use TreeSize to determine what's taking the space.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/treesize_free.html
    2. Uninstall software you don't need.
    Exampl: Instead of Microsoft Office, use WPS Office.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wps_office.html

Then...
    The laptop (it's closer to a Netbook than a Notebook) doesn't have a regular HDD or SSD - it has 32 GB flash memory, not unlike an SD card. It's called eMMC and stands for embedded MultiMediaCard.
    Enquire if it can be upgraded - don't hold your breath.
    An external drive is a good idea but, it will use battery power and you posted you don't have a car, so no means of charging the battery while travelling.
    Use an SD card to store your files and portable programs.
    http://portableapps.com/apps

Use the memory card.

47. JonahWales

card?you mean the built in drive?or an sd card?in slot i guess

to replace drive guess ill have to unscrew it all apart-no fun

48. Eldon

There's a memory card reader. Use that.
    There's no drive to replace.
    Enquire from Acer if it can be upgraded - you can't do it.

49. JonahWales

ok thanks all for advice

so later a box pops up and says do you want to delete"old version of windows"so i did and deleted "office" and now have 10 gigs free

persish the thought micrsoft couldnt ask me that when i did update

50. JonahWales

whats the difference with tree size and just looking in control panel that shows how big a program was -it said there office took up maybe 959 mb

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds