Possible Virus. Not Sure

Discussion in 'Malware Help - Public (Anyone Can Post & Respond)' started by ChrisOnline, Nov 30, 2016.

1. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

A few weeks ago my computer started reseting itself randomly every few hours. Not really sure why. It finally stopped after a few days.

Then today a few hours ago my display kept going in and out and then my computer would try to reboot and get hung up and I would have to manually hold the button to turn it off then back on. Then the problem would happen again 5 min later.

My display is connected via hdmi. TV monitor.

I can't remember the exact model of my Nvidia card. I bought it for $400 brand new about the time Guild Wars 2 came out. I would be able to pull it up in adapter settings but now my computer isn't recognizing my Nvidia card.

I figured maybe the card went bad or something but here's the catch.

When my computer reverted back to the on board Intel graphics. Same thing happened. Hdmi went out. It did work off of hdmi for a little bit before the hdmi went out on the Intel graphics.

The reason I know my computer is still working and running while the display isn't working is because I can use the team viewer app and control my pc from my phone or another computer. And the computer still runs and everything like it's supposed to.

Just getting no display through hdmi on either card. And yes the cable is good and works and my TV has 4 hdmi ports. All work. I've checked.

Is it possible a virus caused this to happen?

Come to think of it very rarely I would get some weird website to pop up in a new tab in Firefox telling me I should upgrade to the latest version. It looked legit but the URL was sketchy so I always exited out of it and never clicked anything on that page.

Sorry for the lengthy post just trying to give you guys all the details so I don't waste your time.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

This does not sound like malware. I suggest you work this issue in the hardware forum until you can get your display back and then if you are still worried about malware, start a new thread and follow the Read and Run First instructions.

3. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

If you are on a surge protector try removing it.It is possible it might be going bad a surge protector can only handle so much heat through that system.

And what is the make and model of your system specs please if you can.

4. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

I don't think it could be a surge protector issue. Never had a problem before. It's just strange that the hdmi went out on both cards on the same day.. I will test that tho first thing in the morning so we can rule that out.

As far as make and specs of my pc. I built it myself a few years ago. My first build. I'm not a hardware guy so I followed a YouTube video and its been fine since day 1

It's now Windows 10. 16 gigs of ram i5 processor I think

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Carry out some standard basic maintenance checks:

1. sfc /scannow
    See this guide:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833
    Then to see an easy to read text file of the result follow this:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833#bookmark-cbs log
    You must use an ADMINISTRATOR Command Prompt to do the above - that is crucial.

2. ChkDsk
    https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/fix-hard-drives-chkdsk-windows-10/
    again use an administrator command prompt

3. Check that the drivers for all those cards are up to date

6. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Regarding FF updates you did the right thing ... never trust pop-ups!:eek: Just click on FF menu "Help" and select "About Firefox". There it will give your version and update for you.:)

Double check your TV has the correct HDMI input selected, if you can find the remote:rolleyes:

If you have an NVIDIA card and driver installed, you should be able to right click anywhere on your desktop and "Nvidia Control Panel" should show up in the displayed list. Select it. Displayed will be driver number, card name, and number. There is also a "System Information" link to detailed info for the driver and card.;)

Double check the card-to-TV is set up correctly. Here is a basic Nvidia guide for HDTV and HDMI:
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...dia-based-graphics-card-to-work-with-my-hdtv?

Be advised, starting in Oct, Nvidia has put out a number of display drivers, 375 series, which have a number of issues for gamers, me and
    other "folding@home" aficiandos. I went back to 373.06, the last known good one for the folding folk. The first in the 376 series came out Nov28, and it isn't fixing all, either:( Read here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers/?orderBy=comment-DESC

You can use the Nvidia Control Panel to get different (older, more stable) display drivers. Select Help>Technical Support and use the manual
    selection method to get a list of older drivers. If your Nvidia Control Panel isn't working, use this link:
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

A feeling amongst many of us Nvidia people is to use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) found here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/display_driver_uninstaller.html
    After downloading the driver you want to install, reboot into safe mode and run DDU. Reboot to Windows and install driver, selecting "custom" and "clean".

In addition to what Max said about drivers, use Start>Control Panel>Device Manger and focus on resolving any that are flagged.

Check your Event Viewer>Custom Views>Administrative Events after each restart. Look for items that keep repeating each shutdown/restart. Especially investigate any "Critical Errors":eek: General info on viewer is here:
    http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-use-event-viewer-in-windows-10/

This is much stuff to think about and to do:rolleyes: Yet, I hope it helps bring you to a solution, soon:)

7. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Thanks for all the tips and info.

I'm in the process of doing as Max said so I will try your suggestions next. It's taking me forever because I have to control my desktop from my laptop on TeamViewer as my display isn't working.

As I stated in my op though, now my computer isn't reading my Nvidia card. It's using the default on board Intel graphics card. And the hdmi isn't working on it either.

I just find it very strange that both cards hdmi port were working fine and then both went out on the same day.

I'm pretty tech savvy and know how to hook up everything so yes the right input is selected. And the hdmi cable is fine. I have a few backups as well. All work.

The computer just isn't recognizing that the hdmi cable is connected on either graphics card so I am unable to select my monitor or anything in display settings.

I will do as Max suggested and report back with the text files. Any other suggestions or things I can do to fix this are welcome and I thank you all kindly.

Are we 100% sure this isn't malware related? Are there viruses out there that can prevent you from using your display?

Makes sense to infect a pc to leave them blind unable to see anything while it collects the data it needs..

Edit : Forgot to mention I ran the auto driver updater on Nvidia and updated to the latest driver while this was happening so before my card went completely out. Now that it's out I can't check to see what model it is as my pc isn't showing it now.

8. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

I've attached both files (sfc and chkdsk)

Attached Files:

9. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Like TimW said, "This does not sound like malware." Yet, you should run some basic full system scans with both your realtime AV application and Malwarebytes Anti-Malwre (free), found here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_malware.html
    We aren't ruling anything out. Yet, we need to reasonably assure basic hardware/system software is intact before going through the Malware Removal forum steps with the best hope of success. That's why TimW referred you to the Hardware forum.

Temp and voltages can be an issue. A couple of handy tools are HWMonitor here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hwmonitor.html
    and Speccy here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speccy.html

Since the computer isn't reading the card, it might be time to open the case and re-seat the card. Note the Nvidia model name and number, too.

I formally used the Nvidia auto updater. Since the 375 series fiasco, I only use the manual method now, but only after I thoroughly read the Nvidia Forum and a thread on the Folding@Home forum. (I was glad I had saved some older downloads, too)

10. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

11. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Surge and spike protectors don't last forever. In fact they wear out and are often compared to motorcycle helmets. If it saved your noggin once, it did its job and needs to be replaced. If yours is years old, replace it (better yet, get a "good" UPS with AVR - its not about battery backup).

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Well that's good as they both show no problems in that area.

13. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

So what's my next step? I added the files a few posts ago. Getting several suggestions but not sure the next step to take.

I'd rather start with the on board Intel graphics card and try to get its hdmi connection working before I move on to the Nvidia that way if it's fried I have something to fall back on for now

14. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

True but I mean I have other things connected to it and they run just fine. And I stated in the op that the resetting issue every few hours resolved itself after a few days.

Computer is staying on and running now I just have no display whatsoever through hdmi on either of the cards. On board nor Nvidia.

I can't test the vga connection as I don't have a device with a port for one and no vga cable either.

I'm controlling the computer through my phone and laptop with team viewer.

15. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Okay on focusing toward the onboard. I would pull the card, while you do it though, to rule out any conflict issues. I don't know why there would be, but even if Windows doesn't see the card, maybe BIOS is or is trying to and is getting confused.:confused: Also, carefully scrutinize BIOS
    settings for anything possibly amiss.

Another item to consider is the PSU. Recheck connector/lead integrity to anything inside. See what voltages are reported by HWMonitor.
    I'm just brainstorming now, trying to relate the symptoms, you provided, to come up with some possible causes. Digerati is better on PSU stuff than me.;)Truthfully, I'm running out of ideas:(

16. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

17. Anon-469e6fb48c

I was going a long the lines of the Power connection's and the PSU that is way i suggested the power strip first.They can last for a few years with out it seem like there is not a problem.

High or low Voltage can mess with every thing in a computer.From video to every thing else.All so if your power cord seems to be running hot then there is a major issue.

18. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

I've got to go offline for quite awhile. Give us some feedback on what you are seeing in Administrative Events. If you reach some success with the onboard, a degree of normalcy, tell us here. Then go back to the Malware Removal forum. Read the sticky there "READ & RUN ME FIRST ...", follow the directions therein and post a new thread in that forum.

If you still can't get anywhere with the onboard, give some thought to getting a cheap card with VGA port and a monitor. Laterz

19. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Thanks. I'm not really sure what to look for in event viewer. I know my way around a computer and am great at following technical instructions but beyond that everything in event viewer and troubleshooting is a different language to me besides the basics.

There are tons of errors and flagged things tho in event viewer. Bunch of .Dll stuff. Whatever that is. Not seeing anything so far about display related but the way everything is worded in there I'm probably overlooking it.

Edit : also forgot to mention that I can't even change the resolution settings or anything as it's not even detecting any of my displays. The resolution is 640x480 and everything is huge and annoying.

20. Anon-469e6fb48c

Can you give us your full specs so that we can see all the current parts you have.And all so your current OS.

Use Speccy
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speccy.html

You still have not provided us with this info.

21. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Sorry about that. Didnt know about Speccy. Thank you. Attached the txt

Attached Files:

22. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Thank you for the Speccy info. What results did you get with HWMonitor ... temps and volts normal? Which hardware in device manager are showing flags and what are they?

Regarding administrative events: .DLLs are dynamic link library routines, very common with drivers. If you have a lot of warnings/errors in the
    viewer, rather than tackling each event, its better to work on the probable source of the events. For example, fixing a single hardware driver might eliminate many event entries.

Incorrect drivers can cause many event items. So, can incorrect services configuration. That's why I pointed you to the BlackViper guide. The idea is to use the admin events viewer to see if we are making any improvement with changes we make. The services guide is generally is a good start for most use, but take some time to familiarize yourself with the properties of each and their interdependencies. If you depart from Viper's suggestions, check each service, you change, to see if a change needs to be made to other services. Even if drivers are in fine shape, you can still expect viewer items to appear, if services aren't correctly set up.

For now, I'll point you to a tool to get drivers updated. Tim T, is fairly supportive of Driver Booster. He's got a good video for it. Get here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_driver_booster.html

Speccy sees the Nvidia GTX 670. I don't know the meaning of "undefined" though. Does the device manager show it? Right now, you are on a
    generic display driver and likely has little ability to change things like resolution. Run Driver Booster and see if it gets you something better. Remember to check the admin events view for any reduction in events since the last restart. You should restart after you change drivers.

23. Anon-469e6fb48c

24. Anon-469e6fb48c

Driver booster only goes so far for free.I think the max you can download and install is ten drivers may be less.But if you got the money pay for a sub it's well worth it in the end.

Windows 10 has issues with the drivers some times.That is the reason way i switched back to seven.

I all so saw in your Security Options that your Administrator account status is disabled might want to re enable that.

25. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

No! Leave the hidden super Administrator account alone and create a user account WITH Admin privileges, if you need to.

26. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Thanks for being patient with me guys. Its not easy on this resolution and very tedious on team viewer.

Im attaching the results for HWMinitor. Hope I did it right.

Attached Files:

27. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Just checked device manager and Nvidia card shows up there and it's flagged. It's the only item flagged in device manager.

It said it disabled it because it was experiencing problems. Error code 43.

But that doesn't explain why my on board hdmi isn't working either tho.

28. Anon-469e6fb48c

HDMI is connected to the Nvidia driver so it's probably the cause of this issue.

29. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

I'm not doubting you guys or anything so please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to understand so I can get smarter in this area.

I'm just a little confused as to what you mean by hdmi is connected to my Nvidia driver.

Just confused because the on board graphics had hdmi built in. Way before I even put an Nvidia card in the system.

And right now I have the hdmi cable going from my onboard hdmi port to my TV monitor. Which isn't working either.

The system is set to the onboard Intel graphics as Windows stopped the Nvidia card due to an error. So just confused as to why the hdmi isn't working on my onboard and you're saying it's connected to Nvidia driver?

30. Anon-469e6fb48c

I have the same kind of setup on my laptop.Hdmi on a TV monitor.It took me a few times to get it to work properly.First the driver and setting's.And I had to make sure the TV settings where in HDMI mode. The Nvidia or Intel drivers have built in HDMI drivers.
    This may look weird I am typing on cell.

31. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

No problem. So should I go the drive booster route first and get as many drivers as I can or skip that for now and get the driver you posted a few posts ago?

I had the latest driver when this happened. And the driver I had before that is when this problem started.

32. Anon-469e6fb48c

Go with the Nvidia driver link I provided.It is the correct driver for your OS.

Just make sure you do a fresh install.

33. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Will do. Thanks.

Now should I go into device manager and uninstall the card completely first or?

34. Anon-469e6fb48c

Yes use the iobit uninstaller and uninstall every thing with Nvidia.

35. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Alright well I just did all of that and it didn't fix a single thing. Same problem. No display.

36. Anon-469e6fb48c

OK try this set your screen refresh rate lower than 70,62,60 which ever is on the settings.
    And raise your screen resolution to the recommended option.
    There's seems to be a lot of comments and complaint s about this.
    I know my TV monitor will not work above 70 mhz.
    All so check your main screen as well.
    Things tend's to change or mess up when there is a new update.

37. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Pay attention whenever dr. m speaks;) He is one of our malware fighters in the removal forum. You can find more on this special account and securing it in the "Basics" sections in this link: http://www.windowsecurity.com/artic...ecurity/Protecting-Administrator-Account.html

Both devices provide the HDMI feature. You need the correct drivers for each to make each workable. Atm, you have a generic driver running for the onboard and the generic driver doesn't support HDMI:( Finding the correct driver for the onboard will be a separate effort from that of the Nvidia card. Btw, HWMonitor also shows the Nvidia card and all temps and voltages look reasonable to me.

If you are confused about what drivers are, I add this. Drivers are special programs that allow the computer to communicate with specific devices. Each device needs one or more drivers to support its features. Drivers are usually written/provided by the manufacturer of the device.

"Too many cooks spoil the broth":eek:With this in mind, I take my leave and let you work on with coyote. GL

38. Anon-469e6fb48c

Do you really want me to argue.I know what drivers are.

I was typing most of this stuff on a cell phone.

I have all most the same kinda a setup as this op does.But i am running windows 7 64 bit pro version.My Tv monitor will not allow a higher 70 mhz.

And If the volts look fine than there is not a problem with power.I have read so many reports about this issue with windows 10.Most of them where due to the drivers that where provided by windows 10.I run a amd radeon r6 graphics apu system.My TV monitor is running all so through the HDMI port as well.

I can only get certain drivers to work right with the monitor.The latest AMD driver does not work well with windows 7 and does not work well with my HDMI port.So this Op is having the all most the same kinda issue i have with certain drivers provided by AMD or Nvidia

The AMD driver i could only get to work with my TV monitor was the amd-catalyst-15.7.1-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit the updated version did not have the HDMI setting in the install option.

This took me a couple of days to figure out the issue.

My monitor works fine I keep it's screen refresh rate at 60 Hertz and the Resolution at the recommend state.If i go any higher with the hertz than the screen bugs out on me.

39. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

My computer won't let me do any of that. It's stuck at 64 hertz or whatever.

And I looked around at all the settings on my TV and there's no where to change it on my TV for some reason.

I don't even think my computer recognizes the on board graphics either. I looked all over my computer and can't find any info on the model number so I could try getting drivers for it as well and see if I could at least get it to work so I'll be able to change resolutions and actually see what I'm doing.

I just find it very strange both of these cards did this to me at the same time

40. Anon-469e6fb48c

Have you been in the bios lately.

I did more digging on this issue.

I looked at your Speccy report again and searched for your mother boards specs.

It might be that your settings in bios are set wrong for the video card.

Try and set them to PCI Express® 3.0 (PCIe 3.0)

If you have it set up on PCI Express® 2.0 switch it to 3.0 and see what happens.

I am all so thinking that you are connecting your HDMI through your video card correct.???

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/520081/a-solution-for-the-problem-with-gtx-670/

41. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Ok I'll try the bios when I'm able to get a vga setup. Can't do bios from TeamViewer so cant see it. But I've used this setup for years never had an issue til the other day. Boom both went out. But yea I'll still check bios when I can get vga.

And yes it's hooked up correctly and everything. Hdmi from the default hdmi port that came on my pc doesn't detect a display. Same with Nvidia. And I don't think either cards are being read.

42. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Ok I finally found a vga cable and guess what. Neither of my cards get a display through the vga connection either. So I still can't see to access bios

43. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

I saved the event viewer logs and also logs just for the Nvidia card. Hope they go through. Never tried sending anything from event viewer before. Hope they help.

Attached Files:

44. Anon-469e6fb48c

If you have another video card handy test that to make sure the mother board is detecting it properly.With the drivers installed for it.

It seems that the 960 card works but is having some kinda issue.

Do you have another OS on that system to test like a dual boot.

45. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Sorry I don't have another OS or another graphics card or anything. Just the two.

46. Anon-469e6fb48c

Some one else might need to step in.I think I gone as far as I can.

I did a lot web surfing on this issue.There is something not right.

It's either the video card's,Windows10,drivers,or mother board.

There is all so an issue with your screen settings.

When was the last time this worked.Do you know the exact date and time.????

47. ChrisOnline

ChrisOnline Private E-2

Don't know the exact time. But it's always worked. Then it quit working just out of the blue the day I started the thread.

48. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Is the pc clean ? Including the vents on the power supply. And also the cooler on the cpu itself and any other chips with a heat sink showing. There's a link on this thread to a power supply tester by @Digerati in post 3 I believe. May be worth testing the power supply and also reseating all connections - all. Of course with power off and unplugged and touching some metal when reseating all plugs / connectors.

A link here to ps testers:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/power-supply-troubleshooting.314944/#post-1981530

49. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Since Coyote apparently has departed and nobody else has jumped in, I will try to assist until someone else with the answers shows up.
    First, let me say my last post# 37 was written to you and for your edification. Unless I otherwise indicate, all my posts are written for the creator of the thread.

Reviewing Speccy again, I spotted that it not only saw the GTX 670, but saw the driver ... Driver version 21.21.13.7609; 376.09 was released last Monday, you started having problems on Wednesday, and you ran/posted Speccy on Thursday. 376.09 is known to be causing problems for some Nvidia users. Mix this with Win 10 compatibility issues and its auto-updating. I can't exactly explain why or how, but my gut feel is this led up to your situation. I've read about some situations, where others have gotten error code 43, graphic card errors, which adversely impacted their onboard operation, as well.

Check device manger again for the Nvidia properties, select the driver tab and see if "Roll Back Driver" is available, or is it greyed out? If you can select it, try a roll back. Let me know the results.

Also, when I scrolled to the Anniversary Update section, I found this:
    11/26/2016 Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    Installation Status Failed
    This was last Saturday and might explain why the onboard isn't working.

50. Anon-469e6fb48c

This is the issue i had with mine as well the AMD driver was new for windows 7 and probably meant for windows 10.So i had to down grade it to the older version to make it work properly.

I agree with struldbrug it has to be the driver causing the main issue.

This is way i never allow these drivers to auto update when it works perfectly fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds