System Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by wiskerluv, Dec 1, 2016.

1. wiskerluv

wiskerluv Private E-2

I tried all different things to try and fix System Restore. It always says "Restore Incomplete". It doesn't work in safe mode either. I tried doing the sfc/ scannow but it wants my Windows disk which I have (XP Pro) and that won't even start up. The disk works when I click it on the "E" drive and shows all the files but not when I use sfc/ scannow.

I really don't want to reinstall windows because I have too much stuff on my computer. If anyone has an answer, I would truly appreciate it.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

It might be time to repair Windows XP. Your programs and files will not be lost.
    It's the next best thing to reinstalling Windows. I have done this for Windows XP & 7 and only had to reinstall the Lexmark and Nero software.

3. wiskerluv

wiskerluv Private E-2

Thanks a bunch Eldon- will definitely give it a shot.

4. Eldon

5. wiskerluv

wiskerluv Private E-2

Darn Eldon, I tried to do a windows repair and ended up reinstalling the whole thing. I never saw a repair option, so now I have 3 copies of windows XP on my HD. How can I delete 2 of them. if there is a way? I feel so stupid but there was no repair option that I could see. I should have read your instructions first, but I found instructions on line before I saw yours.

6. Eldon

Trying to fix 2 or 3 installations of Windows on the same partition is a nightmare.
    You can delete the duplicate Windows folders but, I'm not recommending it. There are just too many duplicates and determining which folders to delete is easier said than done. Also, Microsoft warns against installing more than one copy of Windows on the same partition.
    I'm guestimating you have just one partition?

I think you should cut your losses and do a fresh install of Windows XP.
    Backup your documents, pictures, music, videos and favorites (bookmarks) if you're using Internet Explorer.
    Also, install Belarc Advisor to save a copy of all your product keys. You'll have to do this from the copy of Windows from which you installed your programs.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/belarc_advisor.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds