Blue Screen Of Death "twice"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theremotedr, Jan 18, 2017.

1. theremotedr

theremotedr Master Sergeant

Hi,
    I purchased a very good condition second hand Notebook yesterday.
    Last night i was cleaning some files,like you do and used it for a few hours no problem.

I had the settings "when i close lid- Hibernate etc"
    Whilst working i shut the lid down & forgot that technically it wasnt switched off.
    Some 6 hours later i went to use it & noticed the screen was Blue with plenty of white text when i opened the lid,at first i thought it was the settings Hibernate etc.
    Pressed on/off button for 5 seconds,plugged in the charger then switched it on say 45 minutes later.
    Started fine & perfect.

I working alongside it on a PC & the same has just happened on the PC,i didnt take much notice of the text as PC restarted itself,notebook didnt just kept blue screen on display.

Now i use Chrome which is sync with both items.
    Strange or what ?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Which version(s) of Windows are you running on the two computers?

The Desktop computer can also be set to not automatically restart on a BSOD like, apparently, the laptop is.

3. theremotedr

Hi,
    Notebook Win 7 starter
    PC Win 7 PRO

As i didnt read it all will there be a log ctreated and saved so i can view error code number etc.

Thanks

4. mdonah

Yes. The file will be in C:\Windows\minidump but you'd need WinDbg or Blue Screen View (available at MG's) to decipher it.

5. theremotedr

Can you supply link so i can get correct file and then best advise you what message code was,

6. theremotedr

This is from pc but when i check same folder on notebook its empty ?

Attached Files:

7. mdonah

8. theremotedr

iVE DONE IT NOW AND SUPPLIED FILE ABOVE

9. mdonah

I'm not currently running Win 7 on the machine I'm using. I have it on my other laptop. Tomorrow, I'll give instructions for setting up System Protection and error reporting.

10. theremotedr

ok thanks very much,why did it happen on notebook but folder empty ?
    you can reply tomorrow as 2am here

11. mdonah

I don't know why the the minidump folder was empty on the notebook except perhaps a different type of memory dump was selected.

To prevent the PC from rebooting after a BSOD, right click Computer on the Desktop and select Properties. The following appears:

System.jpg
    Click on the link highlighted by the arrow. The following appears:

Sys Prop Adv.jpg

Click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. The following appears:

Startup & Recovery.jpg

Uncheck Automatically restart, select Small memory dump (256 KB) from the drop-down, uncheck Overwrite any existing file and click OK.

You can set things up the same way on the notebook.

12. theremotedr

Morning,
    Before i carry out the above just to advise.
    Pc BSOD then just restarted.

Notebook BSOD then message just stayed on screen and had to restart manually.

Your instructions above will cover both Pc & Notebook so if it happens again i will see the BSOD but the system will not restart correct ?
    If so will i be able to click a red cross etc to close message down as Notebook had no affect after.

On the Notebook these settings above will over ride any settings in place as to where to save mini dump ?

Last question,looking at the file above does it tell you why the Pc did this,i used Win 7 for 2 years now and never seen this BSOD message.

Thanks very much.

13. mdonah

Both the notebook and thye PC will be set the same way. the minidump file will now show in the C:\Windows\minidump folder. There won't be any "Red X", you'll have to manually restart both computers. Yes, the new settings will override any currently in place.

Have a look at this from Microsoft about your Stop Error:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2885978/0x0000007f-stop-error-on-a-windows-based-computer

14. theremotedr

Hi,
    That could explain the pc,
    I was updating an item that i use which was plugged into the USB port at the time.

I was taking a look at the HOT FIX to overcome the problem in the future.
    Could you advise me steps please of the fix like above,many thanks looking at that page was a bit to take in for me.

I am using Windows & Professional with SP 1

15. theremotedr

Ther dump size is 128,is that ok

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

For Windows 7 it tells you to download and run the HotFix download then restart your system. It's as simple as that.

17. theremotedr

Hi,
    Question please.
    The drop down filter does not have 256 but only 128 other than that ive now done this,258 / 128 is that important or do i need to edit something to change it to 256 ?

Regarding the issue i had,and this was when i was updating the piece of software that i do now & then would you advise to leave the hotfix as its never happened before or if the problem does happen again the same code will be shown on the BSOD in which it makes sense to apply this hotpix.

What is your advice.

Thanks very much.

18. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I don't know what you're referring to re 128/256.
    Create a system restore point, run the hotfix, restart your system.
    If the hotfix causes problem you can restore to before.

19. theremotedr

Reading a previous post it said to select 256 from the small dump directory file size.
    I saying i only have 128 so is its size big enough ?

20. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Maybe wait for mdonah to come back who advised you on that.

21. theremotedr

OK
    I will wait thanks.
    I did notice that the file that was produced for the above was 140KB

22. mdonah

One of your systems is 32-bit and the other 64-bit. The 32-bit system will generate a 128 KB small memory dump and the 64-bit system will generate a 256 KB small memory dump.

You'd install the "HotFix" to PREVENT further BSODs caused by the same error.

You're now set so that memory dumps aren't overwritten in the event you have more than one BSOD or BSODs caused by other problems.

23. theremotedr

Hi
    I just checked.
    Pc is 32 bit
    Notebook is 32 bit

Dump file on both is 128

24. mdonah

That explains the 128 KB memory dump which is OK on both. You're good to go.

25. theremotedr

Ok,
    Please just to recap as i dont do things like this.
    I have on the pc and notebook created a restore point name HOT FIX APPLIED
    Ive clicked the link on the Microsoft page where they have sent me an email.
    Clicking the link in the emai its now downloaded the file.

As my Pc and notebook are synced i have also the same email / file download on both.
    So just install now and forget about anything else and job done correct ?

26. mdonah

That should be the case.

It doesn't mean you won't get other BSODs but, they should not be for the same reason.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds