Remove From Network List

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ninefifty, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Ninefifty

Ninefifty Private First Class

Hi all,
    How do I remove computers from my network please?
    I have four and only recognise two one being my own and present one.

Cheers.

AtlBo likes this.
  2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Depending on what Operating System you have, open Network and Sharing Centre > select the networks you do not want and there is a disable option in properties for each one.
    If these ones you wish to disable are simply just 'appearing' then it could be your router is not password protected, or it needs a new password.

AtlBo likes this.
  3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Run this http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html
    It is an exe with no install. You run it as you need it.

Look at everything it finds. It will identify the name (each of your computers should have a different and identifying name) and the MAC address.

You need to know the MAC addresses of your four computers and anything like a chromecast stick, printers, tablets and phones.

I set up MAC filtering on my router. I typed in the MAC address of hardware in the house. Only the devices whose MAC address is listed can use the router.

I also limited the number of addresses it hands out. It doesn't hand out all 256 available. I have it limited to 8 which covers the computers that go on the internet, printer, chromecast stick and tablets.

If someone would guess my very long password to try and use my wifi, they'd get a message "no working leases available". That means all the addresses I've allowed have been handed out and are in use.

If you see strange devices that you can't identify, change the username/SSID and password of the router as Max mentioned.

Ninefifty and AtlBo like this.
  4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's about the router security not the name of the SSID.

AtlBo likes this.
  5. Ninefifty

Somehow the one I wanted removed seemed to get itself removed.
    I am okay now.
    :cool:.
    I still used the mentioned program but either I the found it confusing or I consoled myself with the knowledge it no longer mattered,

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It would still be advisable to change your router password to a new one.

7. Ninefifty

How do I do this?
    I do use superfast broadband with two router type things.
    I guess I could research it a bit but where?
    :confused:.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You log in to the router and change it there. The User Manual for the router will explain how. Normally routers have the details of how to log in to the router on its base or rear. If you have two devices then I assume you are on fibre optic which means you have a fibre optic modem that connects to a router. You ISP Tech Support will explain all you need to know.

Ninefifty likes this.
  9. Ninefifty

No manual. I searched.
    Installed and fitted by enginneer who was an agent.
    Fibre Optic I have.
    Nothing about it installed to my pc.

10. Ninefifty

Found the answer.
    Quick internet search starting with the name of my modem.
    And it is unbelievable - the simpleness of my password.
    Definitely getting that changed when I find a couple of hours to document what I am doing and review potential changes.

Thanks MaxTurner.

11. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You aren't quite there yet. Getting into your router to change the wireless access password and other settings is a two-stage affair. The first stage, after entering the router IP address, is to provide the username and password to your browser to give you access to the router settings. It is typically something very simple such as user and admin, and I suspect that is where you are at right now. Stage two involves finding the current wireless access password, which is printed on the router base somewhere, and changing it. If your router allows it it's sensible also to change the user/admin to something less obvious as well, though when you see the wireless access password you may no longer consider it necessary to change it. If you do choose to make changes don't lose them, or you may not be able to access the router afterwards.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Ninefifty likes this.
  12. Ninefifty

Both now changed.
    I never able to remember my wireless password anyway - always confusing my zero with my letter O.
    :D.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds