Power Eraser For Registry

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mark Willis, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

Norton Power Eraser repaired my registry after saying it was in bad shape. What sort of registry repairs does Power Eraser make? What might it do that that other tools like CCleaner dont?

CCleaner, at least the free version, only deletes registry keys left by uninstalled software. On the other hand, Norton claims Power Eraser is very aggressive.

2. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

OK! No one knew much about Power Eraser, so I examined further myself. One should seriously consider
    putting Norton's free Power Eraser into their toolbox. It tests for root-kits, system corruption, and
    unwanted applications.

Norton is right about Power Eraser being so aggressive that it might regard normal programs as threats. However, that's
    neither here nor there because you can uncheck whatever it is that you don't want Power Eraser to fix. Not a problem for a
    private and certainly not for a Major Geek. Power Eraser regards my Powershell scripts and Powershell's registry key for
    execution policy as threats. No problem. I simply uncheck.

Power Eraser is only concerned about threats . It's not concerned at all about registry cleanup. So Power Eraser and tools like
    CCleaner have nothing in common.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just ran the latest Norton Power Eraser.
    The 'Unwanted Application Scan' takes about 30 seconds which I find hard to believe.

Here's a screenshot of the results.

NPE.jpg

Mark Willis likes this.
  4. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

Malwarebytes detects and quarantines unwanted applications but I just did a full scan and
    it took only 58 seconds. Based on that, Power Eraser's time just for unwanted applications
    doesn't seem off. I of course have no idea how either can scan so fast.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I can't see how a full scan can be done in 58 seconds no matter how fast the CPU is. (I've been a paid MBAM user since October 2008 and own 5 lifetime licenses which have been used on Windows 2K, XP and 7 and never saw a scan in under a minute).

Win 7 32 bit Home Premium desktop 242,721 items scanned. The scan took 13 min. and 55 sec. (There was under a minute of that for checking for updates).

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium laptop 285,887 items scanned. The scan took 10 minutes and 10 seconds. - That is due to a better processor.

Mark Willis likes this.
  6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I tested NPE and think it's exaggerated rubbish. It found not a single thing on this system, either in the standard scan or the advanced scan. That's probably because I use a good system of security - CIS Premium - CCleaner Slim and Mbam for back up scans.
    It also doesn't install which can create headaches for average users.

Mark Willis likes this.
  7. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

Thanks all. No Joke! It happens over and over and over. Malewarebytes (MB) will take 62 seconds or less to do a full scan.
    It seems to know what it has done before. After a 60 second scan, another immediately after might take just
    30 seconds. I had to look it up -- MBAM is just MB. I am using Full not hyper scans. 322,552 items scanned. Maybe fast speed is because I have real time protection turned on.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  8. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

Got it! Malwarebytes is goofy. The "Threat Scan" is supposed to be comprehensive, but it always goes super fast.
    I am now running a custom scan and it behaves completely differently -- the number of items scanned per minute
    is a few orders of magnitude lower. Explain that! The custom scan will take a very long time.

Eldon likes this.
  9. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

10 to 1 bet that plodr has the free edition of Malewarebytes. Only the premium edition has real time scanning.
    A "comprehensive" Threat Scan obviously knows what real time scanning has accomplished. I bet Threat Scan
    is mostly verifying checksums created during real time scanning, and so is blazingly fast, e.g., 15 times faster than
    normal custom or free edition scan. I know my bets could be wrong.

P.S. More research - more consecutive replies - sorry.

10. plodr

Sorry, you are wrong. I bought my first license for MBAM in 2008. I had to use it to clean up someone's computer and once I saw how well it worked, I came home and bought a copy and installed it on my husband's computer.

I own 5 lifetime licenses for malwarebytes.

Mark Willis likes this.
  11. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Which version do you use / prefer now?

Mark Willis likes this.
  12. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

mjnc: I have Malewarebytes Premium 3.0.6 (3.o is latest).
    plodr: Do you have that version, and if so, you are saying your Threat Scans are slow? I
    don't understand how we could have the same
    product (and version) with widely different behavior. Ain't lying when I say my Threat Scans are always super fast.

P.S. Look at the Avatar to the left to get a sense of how confused I usually am.

13. plodr

mjnc, I'm still using version 2 which is supported with database updates until some time in June.

I follow reports of issues people are having with v 3 so I'm waiting. In fact, I read posts yesterday from two people with problems. The two posters are well seasoned Windows users so if they are having issues, I suspect I might too.

It is also interesting to note that MBAM is not offering any upgrade when manually checking for updates. That says to me that MBAM realizes v 3 might not be quite ready for prime time. So I'll wait.

mjnc and Mark Willis like this.
  14. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Thanks for the update, plodr.
    I haven't kept up with MBAM news lately. I had wondered why I never saw an Update notice for the program even though the option to check for program updates when checking for database updates is enabled.

Also, I did not know that there will be a cutoff date for database updates for version 2.
    We still a few months. Thanks.

15. plodr

I suppose if MBAM can't get v 3 ironed out, they might consider extending the database update deadline.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds