I Lost My Printer Hp5740, And Noted Little Blue Box In Lower Left With Start, Setting Etc Is Gone

Discussion in 'Software' started by chuck2, Feb 7, 2017.

1. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Lost my hp5740 printer, can print "test page" but zero goes to printer ques when I send Doc from Open office, or anywhere else when I have to go to File, hen down to print, but "test page" and check out from various HP sites, "all OK" spooling etc. About ame time that little MS Box that lived in lower left, is not white and only a right click can get to shut down etc.. as always was, but when I put cursor over the box it turns blue, but nothing else even when I click it.

Sounds to me like another of the infamous MS updates did me in..cannot tell what latest up did to unit, but not happy camper.. NOTE ON PRINTER, gone through all the remove, install, test, etc I can find..all say I should be happy camper.. but then there is real world...Did MS change something for the worse.. HELP as tried everything I can get from HP and even diagnostics... but worry impacted by another or MS "improvements"..

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

What version of windows are you using?

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

4. kenlanderson

kenlanderson Private E-2

Have there been any problems with Crypto Prevent with Win 10 Home or Pro. I am teaching a class on Win 10 security and would like to: mention Crypto Prevent and how to obtain it.
    Thank you, Ken A.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

This might be better if moved to malware forum, or, just a new post, for more answers.
    Obtainable at majorgeeks
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/cryptoprevent.html
    From my limited knowledge, this is just the crypto virus preventer, and you should have a full malware,(Windows defender, or, your preferred ) and antivirus program, anyway.

6. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Win10 pro and running antivirus... did an update change the use of box on lower left to right click only, and baffled by the fact printer will print text page from HP, but will no longer print docs from Open office, everything is updated, but according to log my wife's mirror machine got taken down by update and nothing, to include the useless MS Customer Support.. can fix it,

Will go to Linux on her machine and dual boot mine... when we find how o load it on her machine, after we understand Linux, logs on hers indicate "update error and so far not one fix from anyone can repair it..and of course since update from installed win7 we have no way to install win10 again on hers.. Feel MS suckered us into 10 and then lousy updates and end up with "now go buy 10 for a few hunderer...and by the way "Sorry about our update taking down you wini10 pro...

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you had a backup of your Windows 7, and ,the COA, you could probably reinstall Windows 7.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It might well be a problem with the drivers for your printer. But what you can do now is run a system file check on your Win 10 using sfc /scannow from an ADMINISTRATOR command prompt (right click the left side start button and choose 'command prompt(admin)' as per this guide:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files
    and to see a simple text file of the scan result see here and use it BEFORE you close the command prompt window:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files

For current drivers for your printer you need to select the EXACT model from here:
    http://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers...5740&tool=s-002#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930O2

Some gentle advice - as much as it might make you feel better moaning about MS it wont solve your problem which may well be easy to correct.

10. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

11. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Did a coupleof restores and finally got all fixed, used the one dated just before last update from MS> That is one that took out wife's wn10 as log showed... and seemed to mess up mine. Sorry but on comment to stop "moaning one MS Updates", strongly suggest you search and note numeber of other "moaners" a seems updates are a serious issue and when they take out the "Free update win10 pro", well solution seems to be Use the costly buy of Win10 pro as MS has no fixes out there for their update issues, just promises and as said MS Support is useless, were telling wife touse Control Panel etc, she could not even open 10. Sorry but not a MS Fan, as they seem to lost track of customers, other then corp types.. and I go back to pre95 when dos was a program. Not at all thrilled that restore picked up issue, as now do not know for sure what broke...

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I am not aware that MS have ever offered a free update to Win 10 Professional so that's news to me. No one here knows the situation on the system or systems in question, or what that specific MS update you refer to was as you dont give he KB number so no idea what that update was for. Peripherals are managed by other makers and they sometimes don't update the software ever or quickly enough to work with a new OS.
    As someone who runs 4 systems with Win 10 and maintains about 30 systems with Win 10 for other people, the issues have been rare and minor even when they did occur and almost exclusively relate to old systems updated.
    When Windows XP was introduced there was a tidal wave of unhappiness with it dwarfing issues with Win 10. Vista equally was beset with users making criticisms that also dwarf Win 10. But given that MS serves literally billions of users it's not surprising there will be issues for some users since all systems and what software a person installs will be unique. There are plenty of users who, from experience, judge Win10 to be the best OS in a very long time. Some wont agree with that but everyone has the choice to either use a free Linux variant or pay twice the price for an Apple Mac. It's like Walmart - don't like it? Shop elsewhere.

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Pleased to see you have managed to roll back and get it working again.
    Now , it seem that turning off windows update/denying it ability to install is your next step. But you should install a good antivirus/malware program.
    If you ensure you still have that restore point, check the Windows 10 last update,and we may be ble to see what the next one was that caused it- I suspect version 1607 (as was the cuprit for my webcam)- but it would be appreciated if you can let us know.
    To establish the version, simply type winver in the search box.

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Suggesting that anyone without a good knowledge of how to do it (that requires either a registry edit or an external piece of 3rd party software to disable updates in Win10 in standard versions) and then face the potentially worse consequences of not updating if they don't do that, is in my view bad advice.
    Neither I nor anyone else reading or responding to this thread knows what caused the issue with the printer - it may have been a Windows system Update but equally it MAY NOT. We don't know. And anyone suggesting either reversing or simply not fulfilling OS system updates to keep a printer working is dangerous advice.
    It is inaccurate to say in a very blasé manner that Win 10 1607 caused it - you don't know and I don't know.

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Max, the latest 1607 version TOLD ME that it did not support my webcam !
    Before that it worked perfectly in Windows 10. So, I feel it could be likely to cause other driver problems.
    To use my webcam, I use another hard drive clone that is set to before that update, and still works on my webcam. I have stopped Windows update on that, with a good antivrus, and Malware program installed- I had little choice, as I did not want to pay for another webcam, when I have a perfectly good one fixed, in my laptop.
    As for shutting off Windows update- Chuck2 has little option if he cannot get a suitable driver for his printer, after an update.
    Virus and malware are things we all have to be very careful of, and in all my years, I have managed to avoid a bad one.
    Everybody to their own method-
    If anyone wants to stop Windows 10 updating- JUST TYPE services.msc, a window will come up, and scroll down to Windows update, and choose as your wishes.
    1/ Always at your own risk !
    2/ Ensure you have a good antivirus, and Malware program!
    3/ Surf the web carefully !
    4/Understand that you may be vulnerable to virus/malware, and there is that added risk by not keeping Windows updated.

Attached Files:

16. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Max if you do not know 110 pro did updates, you need to get our more. The Update did the damage as the logs show, and same on mirror machine wife has.. only need to look up the logs.. and yet all virus block up to date, several of them. One only needs to do search on www to see MS has a serious issue with updates and win10 going down. Their customer support is useless, when we explained what happened and no win10 they told her to go to control panel and other such rubbish, they dodge the issue or cannot, or not allowed to work it, why we do not know,. The error on my machine on fixed in restore when I went back before latest update on 10. Tech sites on net now asking if MS will thoroughly test the next big update coming in Mar for bugs as MS has serious issues there. We went through every fix, of every kind we could locate on the net and MS sites, NONE worked.. we got looping, we got froze screens, you name it but none to include MS has a fix. We positively ID'd on logs that crash etc went down on same time as logs showed MS update installed. so some can praise MS but we are going to go to Linux as it has been voted top OS by tech world... while MS is "free win 10 upgrade" blah blah, but when it busts, "go buy the win 10, even when due to their problems.. check/search www for the issue, it is very alive and we feel will just increase.. we had XP at one time, and in truth the MS support and fixes were great.. unlike now. Facts are there, ms10 free crash, and you much buy 10 to fix it. not really very ethical.

17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Chuck2 - You must have misinterpreted Max, -what he tried two say was that he did not think it was caused by an update- we all have our own views, so he was entitled to his.
    Microsoft updates sometimes cause a problem, and even with XP,AND W7,they had to send out another update to fix the last update-nothing new, just unfortunate.
    I find update to version 1607 seems a bad one, but that is just my view. Sometimes relying fixes from others- different drivers, from hardware/ suppliers, makes life hard. It often seems that Microsoft pushes on , regardless.
    Thanks for letting us know that it was an update, and that rolling back through system restore solved it.

18. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Issue is not just our machines, it seems is rampart and MS plays dodge-ball about fixes. Seems a scam to get everyone to "Free upgrade to 10", then when MS screws up via updates, which is well documented, their solution is to have you now buy win10...search will provide lots of data on update issues, which MS seems to ignore. Can only guess the baggage that will come with MAR update.... time MS owns up to mess and fixes before it ends new one... MS has in fact rendered wife's machine inop... and none seem to know how to fix it, as NONE of repairs etc from MS works, their CS is useless as will not even discuss reality with remarks like "open control panel", even when we told them we cannot get to 10... Rather fed up wit MS as they are into what I feel is scam and more and more units fail as more and more updates sent... Max seems not to aware of 10... as did not know about updates etc... but is good PR source it seems. None has given one real world fix for fact 10 crashed wife's PC and really screwed it up.. NOTE her logs pointed to exact error, MS update..

19. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Some peripheral devices simply wont work on Windows 10 because developers have chosen not to provide updated drivers.
    I have a 15 year old Canon printer that does work but a slightly less old Canon flatbed scanner that simply will not.
    It is nothing go do with any kind of inbuilt problem with Win 10 which is, without any doubt, the best Windows OS since Win 98.
    It isn't reasonable or sensible to simply ignore major updates to Win 10 because some old peripheral wont work. But a new one.
    Moaning about Microsoft is no help to anything.

20. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

You really do not get it, the logs sow error happened after MS Update... the system an printer worked perfect prior to update, strongly suggest if you run 30 machines to google issues on updates that have shut down 10, it really exists.. and many tech worried about major update on the way... sounds like you bucking for job at MS as your knowledge of MS issues with updates is in need of update. system worked after I did restore prior to update, but not working when done after... sort of a hint there... and note systems were fine prior to date on log when update installed. Reality check is 10 updates have issues, and most techs agree has more to do with hitting updat4es then serious QC/testing

21. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I get it completely, and if you were able to pin point the actual part of the Windows Update that caused it, then fine. But turning off or totally reversing a Windows Update would be a choice for you uniquely, and not anyone else.
    Windows 10 updates are no more problematic than those in history for XP, Vista, 7 or 8 and I have read no evidence that 'more techs' (whoever they are and what their knowledge is) are saying Win 10 is more problematic than 7 or 8, and continuing to say that is baseless. The best focus is to seek solutions and not initiate a debate on how awful Microsoft are when they have BILLIONS of satisfied users. You have the choice to use Linux for free, or buy an Apple system

22. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Since you do not seem to have ability to search here is a small part of issues..
    https://www.google.com/search?num=3....0..0.0....0...1c..64.serp..0.0.0.9yhtTq64up4

note the win 10 update was "Free', but the many fixes issued do not fix, and result is buy 10. Note Linux is regarded as best OS by many, am dual boot with it now and love it.. there are NO solutions for most of issues,.. get on www and informed, rather then sell MS. NOTE We tried ALL solutions and as said fact is printer came back AFTER retorse to previous date of update.. that is a fact...wife's machine crashed and logs indicate happened after last update...your grasp of reality is not greatest but do seem to sell ms products rather then solutions.. no need for your predictable MS Sales reply as you are not curretn with reality.

23. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

forgot to add that if I could pin actual mess in updates I would sell it to MS as they so far have not got any solutions... make a good penny on it..dumb comment on your part

24. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I service 35 systems (including my own) with Win 10 without facing any serious problem at all. The dumb comments were yours having a go at Microsoft instead of dealing with your unique system.

25. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

And you did not know of update issues, or the fact updates on free 10, etc and seems you jumped from30 to now 35, "I am not aware that MS have ever offered a free update to Win 10 Professional so that's news to me" seems odd. Noted you did not mention the many issues in the link sent.. also MS major screw up as fix for looping start will not run on command prompt (DOS) as supposed to run under 10, which of course is looping and will not start.. akak fix the problems with this that is not working unless you have 10 up and running.aka MS dodge ball. No comments were dumb but wonder at how little you seem to know.. Not slaming you but your lack of reality with MS updates issues, needs a bit of advanced education as if any of yours act up, you will not have a clue...

26. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

All 35 were updates from Windows 7 and 8.1.
    The numbers of users who have had problems with Win 10 are actually miniscule compared to XP and Vista, and most of the Win 10 issues do relate to previously not very well-maintained Win 7 and 8 systems.
    It is true that some users are not able of themselves to resolve update issues on older systems upgraded to Win 10 so they ask friends or get help on a forum. They don't generally rant about Microsoft.

27. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Your udates were then free and if you did not open links on issues with 10 updates, you should. No rant agbout MS, just facts as if one machine goes dead due to MS update, and then told to go buy Win10 to fix, that is both unethical and a scam.. but amusing you seem to have free update to 10 and now know about updates available.. Plese show hard data to back up your fable about not well maintained 7-8 is an issue.. more so when MS support will not even address the issue.. nor it seems will MS...and amusing their FIx for looping had to have i10 up and would not work via run or cp? So we all await your hard data.. is the 35 a HS PC class?

28. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Chuck

I was reading about Win 10 and its development long before it was either released for public use or through the Win 7/8 free upgrades. I also did testing with preview builds on one system.
    I also waited months before the public release date to monitor how it was being used on multiple forums - not just here.
    I also made sure that the many people I assist, who were considering upgrading, let me service their systems first since, as we have known for a couple of decades, many Windows systems are left to become a mess or a potential mess, irrespective of the OS. That is a consequence of having BILLIONS of unique systems and users. So to expect MS to produce an upgrade that will work fine on every one of them is simply ludicrous and that is my point about ranting about MS over a free upgrade that was never compulsory.

Eldon likes this.
  29. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

@chuck2

There is a very straightforward and proven answer to the possible problem of an update causing havoc with your system - image it once a month! It is then a simple matter to restore your system to its pre-update state. There is no excuse at all if you fail to do so and then hit a problem.

30. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

"There is a very straightforward and proven answer to the possible problem of an update causing havoc with your system". You sound like MS Support.. When wife's 10 went down, it was due to MS Update.. something happened there that took 10 our, not one fix, image, restore or anything to do with 10 is available.. So no failure there on our part.. MS Updates are not to great and cannot avoid them as eventually you have to get them. Not alone in this MS Update mess, is well known to MS and they nearly numerously put out "Fix" for start looping from crash.. but to use it you must install it via 10, not command prompt, run etc.. which is rather tough to do when 10 is down.. Goggle a search for mess with MS updates and more then a few concerns for March one on the way.. it is real issue and MS does nothing to fix it.. Note on your suggestion, will lose data.. so best use restore, as that is how I got my printer etc back.. but had to keep going back until prior to update... note logs on wife's machine coincide exactly with crash to update.. suggest you check a bit before you suggest items..

31. chuck2

chuck2 Private E-2

Wow impressed.. but noted for all you did you did know of updates to free 10... hmmm? You really do not understand what happens if one does not upgrade to 10 do you.. as said sounds like a HS computer class, and you seem not to well qualified to discuss update issues and a lot of serious problems. End of my posts as you have become a bore that is not to well informed. Bye

32. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Many users of Win 7 or 8 chose not to upgrade to Win 10 - their choice. Your most recent comments are now meaningless and slightly disrespectful. You have many support forums for this kind of issue to choose from. Go to those and tell people who post comments you don't like that they are bores as well. See how far you get.

33. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

A system image is something you have to create yourself, using either free third party software or the built-in capability in Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. You store the image file on a different drive, usually external, and if you subsequently need to restore the system you do so with a bootable CD/DVD that you also have to create yourself. I suggest you educate yourself on system imaging as there is every possibility you will have the same problem again at some point in future and would then be able to fix it yourself.

Couple of useful links -

https://www.howtogeek.com/192115/what-you-need-to-know-about-creating-system-image-backups/

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds