Application Was Unable To Start Correctly (0xc00000e5)

Discussion in 'Software' started by bper, Feb 20, 2017.

1. bper

bper Corporal

Hello,
    Running 64bit Win10. HP Vision Desktop 4GB Ram.

Recently received error message above when booting in normal mode. Safe mode runs OK. Dialogs pop up with this error message for all apps in toolbar. When starting an app (avast, any office app, etc.) dialog with error message pops up. Message also pops up invoking other applications, Office, etc.

Initially I posted this to the malware forum, but it was determined that this is not a malware issue.

I think I saw somewhere that this could be related to a windows update. Please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thank you for your help.

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , what is your antivirus ? Take a photo and post this here to informing us about the exact error message , do you have a clean Win 10 installation ? Do you install any Win 10 update before this error is appeared ? :cool:

3. bper

bper Corporal

Hi my friend!

It's funny that you should ask about antivirus. One of the other computers in the office also is receiving this message after an antivirus program update. We use avast free version in the office. Here is a photo of one of the messages, but there are several from different applications. This Win 10 was a free upgrade over a Win 7 installation. Several updates have occurred since. The last update was 1/27/2017, KB3211320. The problem was noticed on 2/5/2017

Thank you my friend!!! :)

Attached Files:

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That error message relates very specifically to IoBit's Advanced System Care program. It is not a real time AV program (even in its premium paid for version). It is one of these 'system optimisers' that can create more problems than anything solved if a user doesn't know what it's doing.

5. bper

bper Corporal

OK. Would uninstalling it solve the problem or is something else necessary?

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

7. bper

bper Corporal

I wil try and then post my report. If there is a recommendation for an advanced system care replacement, please let me know. We've been using it for quite a while now. We use ccleaner, ASC, and avast for system monitoring. The most problematic PC also has Iobit malware fighter and defragmenter. Should all Iobit apps be uninstalled?

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

'System Optimisers' are simply prone to too many problems for users of average PC knowledge. So I wouldn't use ASC.
    On the other system, IoBit Malware Fighter is not a conventional real-time AV program and definitely would not be my choice. As far as a defragmenter program, all recent Windows Operating Systems (from Vista through to Windows 10) have an inbuilt defragmenter that works very well, so no need for a 3rd party external one. BUT if the problematic system has a SSD hard drive you should never defrag that drive.
    The only IoBit program I use is their uninstaller.

9. bper

bper Corporal

OK. I uninstalled everything IOBit, except for the uninstaller. The problem still exists. I did see that on the first reboot, Avast showed up in the taskbar, but it still didn't run correctly. After another reboot, it did not show up in the taskbar. MS Office applications produce the error msg when trying to invoke them in normal mode. In safe mode, it opens, for example, the word document but then goes through an installation procedure, then closes because it cannot find the license information.

I'm thinking of trying to restore from a previous date, using system restore if a restore point exists. What are your thoughts?

10. bper

bper Corporal

...no useful restore points exist.

11. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

12. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

From Avast FAQ:
    In some cases, Behavior Shield may display the error message The application was unable to start correctly (0xC00000e5) or stop an application from running and freeze your PC.

We are investigating these issues and working on a permanent solution. If necessary, temporarily disable Behavior Shield in Settings ▸ Components.

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB268

13. bper

bper Corporal

(_nullptr) Really? OK! I will try it and report. Thanks very much.
    If that produces no change, I will try (Earthling) windows repair.

14. bper

bper Corporal

OK. I couldn't get into avast to change behavior shield in settings. So, I uninstalled avast altogether. The problems still exist. Then I ran tweaking.com windows repair. It found some things that needed fixing, but after the fixes, the problem still exists. I am going to try to install a different AV, and see if I can do another scan.

15. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

When you uninstalled Avast - and this is crucial - did you use the official removal tool 'Avast Clear' and then restart the system and run a standard safe disk and registry cleaner?
    Very few AV programs can be properly and cleanly uninstalled without such a tool.

16. bper

bper Corporal

I used revo uninstaller

17. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You should now run Avast Clear to make sure it removes any left over files/traces. Then restart the system and run CCleaner Slim

18. bper

bper Corporal

Bang!

Ran Avast Clear, restarted, ran CCleaner Standard (because it was already installed on the system) and everything looks good so far. Seems to be a problem with Avast for sure.

Only thing was that after those steps, Windows Firewall was turned back on so I had two firewalls running after the Avast Clear. I turned of Windows Firewall. Now I have both Avira and Malwarebytes AntiMalware installed. I want to remove Malwarebytes, even though I'm told that it's OK to keep it in conjunction with other AV. However, I don't see it listed in programs when I try to uninstall it with windows uninstall, revo uninstaller, or iobit uninstaller.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks to _nullptr who put us on the Avast watch, and MaxTurner who got us across the finish line, and all of those who contributed to this post.

19. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Have a look in the directory C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware for unins000.exe
    If it's there, just double click to run and follow the prompts.

20. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I've no idea how you can have two active Firewalls unless you had a 3rd party external Firewall installed as well, maybe as part of Avira.
    Malwarebytes in its free version is totally fine alongside a conventional real-time AV so there is no reason to remove it. If you have the new version 3 of Malwarebytes with premium real time protection then there is some debate about its use of system resources alongside an AV program but you could simply turn off the real time protection.
    As _nullptr says if you choose to completely remove MBAM but it doesn't appear in control panel > programs and features then find the uninstall exe file in its folder. If not there you will need to manually delete any MBAM files and folders. If all that is the case then clearly something has gone wrong on your system.

21. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds