Estimate Price On This Setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cornflakes, Feb 19, 2017.

1. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

I've been out of the loop on what desktop computers cost these days,
    so if anyone could give me some estimates, it would be helpful to know if I'm
    getting robbed or if I am seeing a good deal.

CPU: i7-7700K
    GPU: 1080 GTX
    RAM: 16gb DDR4
    Memory: 250 gb SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Mobo: MSI b250m
    PS: 600W

the whatever usual things you get in a pre-built computer (ie win10).

$1500 - $2500 ?

2. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Go to the pcpartspicker and make a build. Check the final price. I did a trial run with the 6 items you have listed and got up to 1385$. Still more parts needed selecting, ... kb, mouse, case, OS, network, so the price will still go up.

pcpartspicker.com

cornflakes likes this.
  3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Make sure you don't try to cut corners in the budget with a cheap power supply. You don't buy a new Porsche then fill it up at the corner Tobacco and Bait Shop. Get a quality supply from a reliable maker that is at least 80PLUS Bronze (Gold would be better). I like EVGA. And while the PSU is arguably your most important purchasing decision, it should be done last, after you have picked your other components and see how much power you need.

As Imandy Mann noted, missing from your list is a case. I line Fractal Design. New computers require new software licenses so budget for that too. With 16GB of RAM, you'll require a 64-bit OS and I recommend W10.

Virtually every motherboard these days come with at least one 1Gbps Ethernet port so not sure what he means by you needing network HW.

If you don't have a keyboard and mouse, then you will need those, and a monitor too. And maybe speakers.

cornflakes likes this.
  4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I was just listing some of the options available on the parts picker page, each of which will contribute to the final price. Cornflakes' basic list comes to about his minimum price shown. Any final build could be different. Some may want wireless and/or bluetooth, which I didn't see on the motherboard's page and are listed as options to add @ parts picker.

Cornflakes' basic list has the looks of a very stout machine. But things are missing, as I had to select a cooler option to overcome incompatibilities. I'm not sure the CPU comes with any cooler, and with the graphics card and other accessories in the case a cooling solution needs to be right in there for a complete build.

cornflakes likes this.
  5. Digerati

Very true, though most BT devices come with a BT dongle. But you are right, adding wifi would require the purchase of an adapter, or a different motherboard.

I am a strong proponent of OEM coolers. Contrary to what many believe, or want us to believe, OEM coolers today are very effective and pretty quiet too. And of course, it is the case's responsibility to provide an adequate supply of cool air flowing through the case. The CPU cooler need only toss the CPU's heat into that flow.

But as you suggest, not all CPUs come with OEM coolers and as noted here, the "K" version of that i7 does not. So an aftermarket cooler (and TIM - thermal interface material) will need to be purchased too.

@cornflakes - what will this computer be used for?

cornflakes likes this.
  6. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

thanks for those replies!
    Well I mainly need to upgrade because I am into editing videos and now that 4k is out, it seems that I need to have hardware that is powerful enough to view, edit and process 4k video.

Yes, I do need to add other things like the case, cooling system, os, psu to the total price....after looking around some more, it seems that my price range will be somewhere between $1500-$2500. Does that sound about right?

(I have my own keyboard, mouse, and monitors)

7. Digerati

Unless you are looking for a reason get a new computer (and I can personally always find some excuse! ;)) you may not need to go to such extremes - depending on what you have now. You may get away with just a new graphics card, maybe more RAM, and if necessary, a new PSU to support them.

Note also that while you can do graphics editing with a gaming graphics card, a "workstation" card is best. Think of car vs pickup truck. You can carry your family in your truck, and you can haul a load of manure around in your car. But "the right tool for the job[/u]" is to carry your family in the car, and the manure in the truck.

As seen here, workstation cards can be real budget busters, but as noted here, you don't have to mortgage the house either.

Bottom line, if you are not a gamer, you are wasting your money and hardware resources if you go with the components in your list above.

cornflakes likes this.
  8. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Thanks Digerati, very good points. I will look into that and consider it heavily on my decision. Yes, I am not really a gamer so I guess I don't need a gaming setup, but more so something that can handle 4k video for viewing, editing and processing. Is there a setup you would recommend for me so I can have some idea of what I should be looking for?

9. Digerati

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds