Need Advice On This Desktop Pc Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cornflakes, Feb 25, 2017.

1. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

I would like to know if these specs are pretty good for the price on
    a desktop pc i might have assembled for me.

Here is what I know:
    i7-7700K
    mobo: asus h110 plus
    GPU: xenon geforce gtx1070 8gb (super jetstream)
    2 TB seagate 7200rpm sata3 HDD
    250 gb samsung SSD 850 Evo Series
    16 gb ram ddr4 (samsung)
    zalman zm600-LE 600w atx
    and a case by ncore abko sapphire 3.0
    with windows 7

total price about 1600 usd (taxes included)

any feedback or info about this setup (pros/cons, things to think about or consider), would be much appreciated thanks!

Also, will I be able to view, edit/process 4k video with this setup?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/estimate-price-on-this-setup.315959/#post-1987778

It is considered poor forum etiquette to ask the same questions in multiple forums and sites. This "cross-posting" or "shotgun" posting is frowned upon because it can tie up limited resources (advisers), result in conflicting or unexpected responses, and also leads to threads left dangling by the OP who fails to go back to each thread and post their solutions or end results.

25 Forum Posting Etiquette Tips

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Thanks for the link to Posting Etiquette Tips, Digerati.

I told someone at another site it was rude to copy and paste a post at 3 or 4 different sites but to post at one and if no help is offered then post at another. The person got so annoyed with me that I would dare to suggest such a thing. He/she spent a useless post criticizing what I had mentioned. I simply walked away and made a mental note to avoid any offer of help to that poster.

5. Digerati

I've seen that before too. Most folks just are not aware of the problem and are appreciative of the information. Other's just feel entitled to do whatever they want, regardless who they trample over in the process.

I see the practice to being similar to going to a busy grocery store and sending all your kids to stand in every checkout line, then run over to the clerk that opens first ahead of everyone who's been waiting their turn patiently in a single line. It is not illegal, just plain rude.

But again, it is not just that it is considered bad etiquette. I have seen cases where it caused confusion for both the poster and those helping when the poster replies with the results of actions suggested at another site. It didn't make any sense. I understand people want answers now, but as the sayings go, haste makes waste and patience has its rewards.

6. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

I've been a member at bleeping's, tom's and major's for like almost 10 years now....I ask on those forums all the time. I haven't used Tom's anymore but I basically use bleeping and major's. I don't consider posting in 2 forums spam or rude etiquette at all. 2 forums. If I was spamming it to 5-10 forums yes. But I ask open and honest questions so I don't know why people get so sensitive about it.

When you go shopping, do you consider it rude etiquette to check out 2 or 3 stores for pricing? When you go to the doctor's do you consider asking for a 2nd or 3rd opinion rude etiquette?

I'm not going to make a big deal about it. I ask questions and if you can answer, I'm appreciative. If you can't answer it or don't want to, I have no problem with that. I've done it for 10 years. This is how I research and this is how I ask. I'm not going to just ask one person and expect to get a comprehensive answer. I'll be asking as many people as I can.

7. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Personally, I consider people who just post links or spam links without writing an actual response as a way to answer questions rude etiquette or even questionable. But I don't go telling them that they are being rude and should at least say "hi" to me instead of just spamming links. It just goes to show you that people have different ideas of what they consider to be etiquette or not.

8. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Back on topic. So I got 1 answer who suggested to me that the Asus H110 Plus is a very basic motherboard (which I didn't know). I checked up more reviews on Amazon (hope that wasn't bad etiquette god forbid), and many people said it's a very good mobo for the price as a economical option that has all the basic features one would need. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it sounds like it is a SOLID mobo on the basic level.

How about the Asus H170-Pro? Would you say that is a better option? It's pricier so I assume it's a mid to higher level mobo?

9. Digerati

It is not up to you or me to decide what is considered rude or improper behavior. The fact is cross posting is considered poor forum etiquette! Denial or ignorance of the fact does make it okay. People who constantly interrupt, talk in movie theaters, roll through stop signs, fail to use turn signals or cut in line probably don't consider themselves rude or behaving improperly either. But they are.

If cross-posting were not considered bad forum etiquette, there would not be multiple lists of forum etiquette out there that included cross-posting. Another example in addition to the one above is Forum Etiquette - Cross Posting.
    Checking prices is not the same thing and a bad analogy. And those stores are in competition for your money and the staff are not volunteers!

Having your kids or friends stand in multiple checkout lines so you can jump in front of the other patiently waiting shoppers is rude. That's what cross posting is.

I am trying to help you and others reading, not chastise you!

I understand it is human nature to want immediate answers. So do I. But there is still a proper way to get them.

And that's fine. But proper forum etiquette simply says to ask one at a time. If you get no response at the first, or then want a second opinion, the proper forum etiquette is ask at a second site in turn.

But, sadly, you are. Note your snarky comment about checking reviews on amazon above. :(

PLEASE see this and then I'll move on. A message to firum cross posters: How to Post and When to Cross-Post:
    Now back on topic, again. I would not call that ASUS H100 Plus a "very basic" motherboard, but it is, as you noted, an "economical option" which suggest it does not have all the advanced options and features of a high end board. And it is a "mini ITX" board, which is almost the smallest motherboard form factor in production - even smaller than µATX boards. Generally speaking, there just isn't the space for many advanced options. But there is a good argument that fewer advanced options means fewer opportunities for failure. So IMO, I agree that the H100 should be a good "SOLID" motherboard.

The ASUS H170, on the other hand, is a full size ATX motherboard. A full size ATX board has the real-estate to support lots of features, including 4 RAM slots instead of just 2 on the ITX board. 6 PCIe slots instead of just 1 for just a couple examples. But for full size ATX boards, the $125 price tag would still place it on the economical side of the scale. Still, no reason to believe it would not be a "SOLID" performer, however.

But note the H170 ATX board is 12.0" x 9.6" compared to the 6.7" x 6.7" size of the mini ITX board. There are very few computer cases out there that support both the ITX and full ATX motherboards. Mid towers are designed for ATX boards and only support as small as the µATX boards. And ITX cases only ITX boards.

10. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

I'm not going to debate about this or spend any more time arguing about it (because I know how stubborn everyone is including myself so nobody is going to win). For me, there is no argument. I'm here simply to ask a question.

My new setup has been upgraded:

MSI GTX 1070 (Armor)
    AsRock Z270m Pro 4
    and Corsair CX600 80plus Bronze

everything else the same (i7-7700K, 250 gb ssd, 2tb HDD, 16 gb RAM DDR4)

Does that look better now?
    I like this set up more than the original.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I'm going to assume those remarks above are about my reply where I had the decency to look for links explaining how to do what you said you wanted when you asked
    You could have done that simple search yourself instead of asking it here. Getting links only without a comment about them is a pointless thing to moan about. I could suggest another way that you could get clear answers to the new setup, based on stating exactly what your uses of the system would be which you haven't done in this thread, but I'm not now comfortable doing that.

12. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I found this rather comprehensive link when doing some searching on your GFX card and they recommend as their #2 choice it in their high level video editing PC. I would also recommend (as they did) you go with at least one M.2 SSd PCIe as you have 2 slots on your motherboard. They're much faster than SATA SSDs. I too recently purchased a Samsung EVO 960 250GB, but you'll probably need to go bigger to have room for your OS, programs and editing space. It was one of the fastest and they have a good reputation.

BTW, they're right about crossposting. Give people time to work., especially if they're working for free.;)

13. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Seriously, whose manners genuinely are Emily Post?

Just go to who you trust the most first, run the thread out, then post on the next site after exhausting the first thread. Et cetera...

14. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Don't forget to check mobo specs. On many boards you have to give up PCIe lanes for the M.2 cards.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds