Windows 10 Back-up Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by oli, Feb 26, 2017.

1. oli

oli Corporal

We have a relatively new laptop computer using Windows 10 and today I get the Caution symbol stating my back-up connection as been lost & no files have been backed up. I looked under settings for backup & the setting says automatic back up is on. We have made no changes to the computer (downloads, installs, etc). At one point when looking under settings for backup I saw a drop down where I could browse for connections. When I did this, Drive D came up (identified as our external hard drive) but the OK button was grayed out. The external hard drive has been disconnected for months... so not sure why this came up. Now when I try to perform a back up under settings page- backup options- we now get the error code x080070015. Help please!

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. oli

oli Corporal

Thank you. You are correct, I transposed the first few digits. Sorry, not sure that Power ISO is.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The comments after the YouTube video I link you to mention Power ISO as a culprit causing the error code you received. It's a program for creating/working on ISO files for CD/DVD. But, since you're not running it, the other information in the video may help.

5. oli

oli Corporal

I followed the YouTube and my settings were correct. My computer's Startup Type, was set on Automatic. Just for the hell of it I clicked on manual, then went back to Automatic, clicked on Apply, then OK, and restarted.

6. oli

oli Corporal

I just went into Backup Settings - Backup Options - and I clicked on "Backup Now". I see "Backing Up Your Data" and in a couple of seconds later I get "Your Data is Not Yet Backed Up"

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Are you quite sure you have actually set a backup location?

Capture.PNG

8. oli

oli Corporal

No I am not sure. How do I set up a backup location and where would I set up the location. Before this computer, Win7 Premium I would back up manually to my external hard drive.

9. Earthling

You cannot backup to your system drive C: and an external hard drive isn't very practical with a laptop so plug in a decent size flash drive - 32GB should be OK. When setting up your file history go through the list of folders deselecting any you don't want continually backed up. Another option is to partition your main drive and create a data partition but if the drive fails you would lose the backup too, so not a great idea.

10. oli

oli Corporal

I don't know if this is related but, I noticed in bottom right hand corner of my computer screen is a notification box. Upon opening the notification is this symbol ( ! ) with this message: "File History. Reconnect your drive.
    Your files will be temporarily copied to your hard drive until your reconnect your File History drive and run a backup"

11. Earthling

It seems this Win 10 was an upgrade from Win 7 and the system already knows you previously backed up to your external drive and is asking you to reconnect it. You could certainly do that or you can insert a flash drive for your file history and change the backup drive in Backup settings. Until you make a drive available for the backups, or turn File History off, you will continue to receive these messages. You can't use your C drive so take one of the options I suggested earlier.

12. oli

oli Corporal

This is a totally new computer we bought from Costco just before Xmas. I did a backup a couple of months ago to a external hard drive so you are correct. The external is 3 T.

13. Earthling

So are you clear now on what you need to do?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds