Cryptoprevent Bad News?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mark Willis, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

Warning. Some venting to follow.

I just installed CryptoPrevent yesterday. Today I tried to to roll back to a previous restore point, but it failed
    with a message that some antivirus product was interfering. I have Norton and Malewarebytes and have gone
    back to restore points just fine. I tried to uninstall CryptoPrevent but it wouldn't, so the way I see it is that
    CryptoPrevent doesn't know what's it's doing or is intentionally being malicious. Since when have I ever not
    been able to uninstall a program -- NEVER!

I successfully went back to a restore point through the system repair disk, but there was still permanent
    damage. The important Windows system file MSVCR120.dll was missing. I also got some other message about
    a missing Windows file, but forgot what it was. I did a "sfc scannow", which detected a number of corrupted
    files but it was unable to repair them. Something did something really bad to my computer and it had to be
    CryptoPrevent because the timing of the trashing of my computer just couldn't be coincidence. Anyway, I got
    things fixed up and CryptoPrevent is gone for good -- not taking another chance with it. Never had anything like
    this happen before except when my ESET was hacked.

Any explanation other than CryptoPrevent, especially given the timing? Has anyone had this experience with
    CryptoPrevent or any other program?

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Few questions that might help understanding your problem. What is your OS and what version of CryptoPrevent did you install? How did you try to uninstall CryptoPrevent?
    I use Revo uninstaller and CryptoPrevent shows up in Revo so I think it would uninstall with it but be careful with Revo as you should only check things to delete that show in BOLD print.

When you say
    What was the reason you were trying to restore? Can you be a little more specific?

3. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

(1) 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium
    (2) Latest version V8 of CryptoPrevent from https://www.foolishit.com/cryptoprevent-malware-prevention/
    (3) I tried to uninstall CryptoPrevent directly from the control panel. Then I tried again by using the CryptoPrevent
    uninstaller that came installed with CryptoPrevent, but that didn't work because some file was missing.

(4) I went back to a restore point because I unmounted an external hard drive, and thought that rolling back would
    fix it. Anyway, CryptoPrevent forced me into a full Windows-Image-Backup-Restore to repair the
    Windows corruption that I believe was caused by CryptoPrevent. So everything is OK now and don't need help.
    Just curious to know about a possible explanation or others experience with CryptoPrevent.

4. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

It is always helpful to know everything that was going on and everything you did when problems started and any other programs you may of installed or updated about that time in order for someone here to help, so that is why I ask. Glad you seem to of fixed things for now.
    As for experience with CryptoPrevent I have used it for a long time with no problems. I have the latest version 8 installed on Win10.

5. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

OK mucho thanks! Hadn't installed anything else for some time. The only programs I know that get updated
    are big names like Norton, Malwarebytes, Opera, Chrome, etc. It looks like I just had bad
    luck for some unknown reason. CryptoPrevent seems to be well recommended despite my experience. I dished it out of frustration.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

FWIW...
    What could have happened was the uninstaller did not completely shutdown the CryptoPrevent service(s). That can result in only some files being removed. Then when you again run the uninstaller, it doesn't want to work.
    Good to know you sorted out the problem. :)

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

When updating some software or system settings like System Restore, CryptoPrevent has to be reset to BASIC protection first, restart the system and make the changes, and then reset CryptoPrevent to the higher level.

Mark Willis likes this.
  9. Mark Willis

Mark Willis Private E-2

That must be it. I believe I did reset and restart, but perhaps I didn't understand its interface, and did something else.
    I'm doing sfc /scannow on a regular basis so I can immediately detect corruption and pin its cause to something.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds