Help! My Keyboard Won't Work Right!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Oops, had to edit that last post. Didn't realise there wasn't an automatic censor on this board.

2. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

The Malwarebytes scan finished. It detected 9 relatively harmless sounding PUPs. Seem like mostly false positives to me.

3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

My mouse is COMPLETELY screwed up. I tried dragging one folder to put it into another folder. Clicking and dragging brought up the option to copy to desktop. To copy... from the desktop... to the... desktop. So I decided, **** it, let's see what that does. Several HUNDRED files started copying from the desktop to the desktop. So I cancelled. A copy of the folder appeared on the desktop anyway. I tried deleting it by dragging it to the recycle bin. Several THOUSAND files started moving to the recycle bin. So I cancelled. There's nothing in the recycle bin now and it appears everything's safe. But the mouse is giving me a MAJOR headache! It's doing some things right sometimes (I'm watching a video now I managed to open with it) but it's doing everything else crazily. And when I go to Google and try and enter the letter m into the search field with the integrated keyboard, the mute symbol appears. So the M key is muting the browser window even though... hang on... my spider-sense is tingling... the browser window's SUPPOSED to mute when I hit CTRL PLUS M, not just M on its own. So is that what's going on? My keyboard is stuck as if Ctrl is being held down?

4. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Well what do ya ****in' know?! Solved it all by myself! My keyboard was stuck on CTRL! I hit ctrl+shift+alt on my integrated keyboard (forgot I'd unplugged the usb one), and now everything's back to ****in' normal! The keyboard's working like normal, the mouse is working like normal. Everything's fine! I'm even typing this sentence on the on screen keyboard! It's 6 in the morning now! I've been ****ting myself over this for the last seven hours! I can finally go to bed now!

Thanks, Jesse, I'd never have solved that without you!

Don't mention it, Jesse, any time. I must be going now. Somewhere, there's a cat stuck in a tree.

Up, UP, and AWAY!

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

PS The reason I couldn't close that document window earlier had nothing to do with the stuck ctrl problem; it was just the app was frozen. Once I got ctrl working normally again, I managed to close the window through the task manager with ctrl+shift+esc

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Well done!
    The most important thing to learn from this is you must make a repair disc.

7. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Potentially very PAINFUL lesson learned. Haven't got time today but first thing tomorrow, I'll be following the links AtlBo put in this post,

8. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Very glad you got it sorted out.

I have to admit, when I saw your post today, something sticking on the keyboard was my first thought. Been there, done that. Bought a second hand laptop and it had a keyboard problem. Don't remember if the mouse played up as well but it turned out to be a very simple problem - a large crumb of something stuck under a key, arrow key, I think. Got that out and it's been fine ever since. In fact, if it's not this laptop I'm using now, it's the 'sister' laptop that came in the same lot from an auction. I got them cheap because people were wary of the problem but I'd done some hardware repair classes at college and had a sneaking suspicion it would turn out to be a keyboard issue but didn't expect to fix it without having to replace the keyboard. When those sorts of strange things start happening, something under a key is now the first thing I check for, or one that hasn't popped back properly or has damage. So far, malware has never been the cause.

Now, in case you still have multiple files after this 'fun' time, don't waste your time manually getting rid of unwanted duplicates. Head for the downloads section and get yourself a duplicate file finding program and let it do the hard work for you:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/wipers.html

I can't offer any suggestions which to use because I use one that I got from PortableApps. I can, though, tell you to make sure you read the directions CAREFULLY so you don't accidentally delete originals, too. My suggestion is to deliberately make a folder with duplicate files in it and practice on there until you're confident before putting it to work for real. That's what I did.

Now to the reason I decided to reply, even though it's a week since you solved this - taking out a battery from a laptop is a) easy and b) a user job. Same general instructions for most. Flip the laptop upside down. Look for a 'thumbhole' with a lever. Chances are you just found the battery. Work the lever and the battery should drop out, literally, if you're not careful, on your foot! Unless, of course, you have the laptop properly upside down. Never do this while the computer is running unless your user manual says you can. I don't know about newer laptops but I seem to recall some older ones you weren't supposed to remove the battery while the computer was in hibernation. On the other hand, on some you could take it out while the computer was plugged into the mains and running. That said, I don't think I'm supposed to remove the battery from my laptop while it's in hibernation and I'm pretty sure I have with no ill effects.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds