Windows Defender - Unable To Turn On

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, May 22, 2017.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I have an older laptop that's rarely used, but I still try to keep it updated (originally Windows 7, now 10). I've been using Bitdefender Free as my antivirus. One day Bitdefender just suddenly stopped being able to update. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, but now I receive an installation error message.

Without an antivirus, I decided to just use the Windows 10 Windows Defender. However, it won't turn on. It says another antivirus is already being used. There isn't one.

How can I correct this so I have an antivirus again?
    Thanks!
    :)

2. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

4. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

5. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thank you.
    However, after running the tool and rebooting, Windows Defender continues to say, "Handled by another AV program".
    :(

Edited to add:
    I just finished trying AppRemover, it reports, "No Applications Detected".
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/appremover.html

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  6. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I just had some basics installed on the laptop, SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. Those were all uninstalled, plus I double checked using an uninstall tool.
    All I have left are CCleaner and FireFox. It's pretty bare bones.

I came across some registry tweaks suggested through Google, but I'm not that computer savvy. I tried a couple with no luck and was a little scared to do so, lol. Should I try a "Reset This PC"?

When I try to turn Windows Defender on, it opens a window under Apps and Features. There's no antivirus listed, as confirmed by an uninstall tool.

7. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Best to not change things in the registry if you don't know what you are doing.
    SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes are both good to have along with a antivirus program. I use the free versions downloaded from Major Geeks.

Are you saying you uninstalled Windows Defender?

8. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

No, sorry.
    I'm actually trying to get Windows Defender to turn on, but it says there's another antivirus running... but there is no other antivirus on my laptop.

Background: I previously had Bitdefender Free, but uninstalled it due to reoccurring update errors. When I tried to reinstall Bitdefender Free again, it gives me an installation error. I tried a few times to reinstall it without luck.

Eventhough I've used a Bitdefender removal tool, as well as AppRemover, both have detected that there is no antivirus (Bitdefender) on my computer.... yet, Windows Defender continues to say, "Handled by another AV program" and won't allow me to turn it on.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Clearly something remains on your hard drive. I suggest you look in the folders on C drive in Program Files, Program Files (X86), Program Data, Users > Your account > App Data all three sections (Local, Local Low, Roaming) and if you find anything with the name Bitdefender, then delete them. Then restart your system, and run CCleaner > Cleaner, and then CCleaner> Registry > Scan for issues and click to 'fix all issues' and run it as many times again until ZERO issues found.
    Restart system and try to turn WD on again.

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  10. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

It seems the Bitdefender Uninstall tool is one-in-the same for all products in a given year. Run it twice in safe mode. Then scrub the locations, which Max described above, and delete any remnants.

11. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Eldon likes this.
  12. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Update:
    Thank you for the link. Yes, still experiencing problems with trying to get Windows Defender to turn on.

Revo did find more traces of Bitdefender. I deleted them and re-scanned. Revo says it cannot find anymore.
    However, Windows Defender still refuses to turn on, stating my computer is protected by another Antivirus program.

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Post #9 - did you actually bother searching each of those directories?
    Have you run CCleaner > Registry > scan for all issues > fix all issues and run it again as many times as needed until ZERO issues are found?
    Have you run the System File checker? (sfc /scannow)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files
    If you haven't done all of the above, you should. If it doesn't fix it you are probably going to have to do a Reset of Windows.

14. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I have followed all member suggestions, to the best of my computer-know-how-ability. I updated my thread in post #12 to say that I was still experiencing problems. I realize I may have to reset Windows, that's why I'm here for help to try and find an alternative if possible.

Below is a list of what I have attempted and where I remain;

- I searched the directories as you suggested and found traces. I deleted them.
    - CCleaner reports zero issues. (CCleaner is used repeatedly, as well as doing computer restarts).
    - System File Checker (sfc /scannow) was run twice, each reporting: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
    - Bitdefender Uninstall Tool was run several times, including in safe mode.
    - AppRemover was run several times, including in safe mode. "No Applications Detected". Clear of any antivirus program.
    - Revo Pro Trial was run several times, including in safe mode. Bitdefender traces were found and deleted. Clear of Bitdefender.

I appreciate the time and help offered by MG.

15. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If WD still doesn't turn on then it's either a reset, or maybe save data and do a full clean reinstall.
    I had to ask you those confirmatory questions about those tips as none of your posts suggested you had done them.

Nick T likes this.
  16. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I did a Windows Reset and now Windows Defender works like a charm.
    :D

As always, Thank You, I appreciate all the time and help given by MG members.
    :)

MaxTurner likes this.
  17. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Glad you have it working Oooops.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  18. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

" If WD still doesn't turn on then it's either a reset, or maybe save data and do a full clean reinstall."

Good call Max.

MaxTurner likes this.
  19. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Great that the reset worked!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds