Phone Number Look Up.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eldon, May 28, 2017.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you have used this service, how accurate is it?
    https://www.callercenter.com/

I received a call from California (I don't know anybody there) and then looked up the number - zero complaints against this number.

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I have not used this one but have done the Reverse Call Lookup before. If I don't know the number on the caller ID I don't answer. They can make it look like they are calling from any number they want. I have gotten calls showing names and numbers of friends, neighbors, and family and I answer to find out it's a spam call. I have also got calls showing my name and number on the caller ID. Very annoying!
    You just have to accept that the phone company can't or won't do anything about it.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I haven't used that one , Eldon, but have used 800Notes.com to see if a number has been listed.

4. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Reverse call lookup only works on honest people and businesses. I have similar experience to katkat. Both my landline and mobile have caller ID and several times I thought my mum or my sister was calling and it turned out to be telemarketers in The Philippines or someplace else.
    Last year we were scammed for over $10,000 from our bank account through identity theft (someone stole my wife's tax return from the mailbox and it had her birth date and other details) and the bank swore black and blue that my wife had called from our home phone and transferred the money and they had the phone logs to prove it. The next day the bank called my mobile to say my wife was transferring another AU$10,000 and was again calling from our home number. Bad news for the bank as my wife and I were standing in the police station talking to a senior sergeant when I received the call and after I passed my phone to the policeman to speak with bank security the bank suddenly realised they had been scammed but he still asked me if anyone could possibly be using our phone to which I said "They would have to get past a 45kg Rhodesian Ridgeback that is inside the house and very territorial" to which he said "Looks like the bank will have to pay back the money stolen from our account".
    The federal police investigated and identified a group in India but as the theft was less than AU$50,000 they would not proceed although they did inform Interpol.

Call me a cynic but ever since VOIP and internet phones came on the scene phone security has been sh*t and the phone companies can't or won't do anything about it.

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The whole business about 'cold calls' in the UK has become a problem the authorities seem incapable of stopping. I get such calls on both my land line and mobile phone. The number shows but when I search it on the internet it doesn't exist, or try to call it back and it says 'The number you have dialled cannot be recognised.'. But apart from the caller often being non-English, often they are Brits working for some scam agency. I ask politely for the name of the organisation and address and the call goes dead.
    We have a Telephone Preference Service where you can be registered on any number not to receive spam calls but it's weak and ineffective.
    Luckily I haven't had any calls that 'appear' to be from people I know or showing my own numbers.
    But businesses that we as individuals do business with are known to SELL databases of telephone numbers and email addresses unless you uncheck a box in small print denying them the right to do that.
    It's all a con.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks for the replies. :)

7. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

well, it certainly was not me lol
    and i would have left you a message, at the very least.
    caller id has got to be the most useful advancement in phone tech ever ever ever!
    i don't answer the phone unless i recognize the calling number.
    it actually baffles me that with all of the "spying" and data collection that supposedly goes on, that these scam phone centers can not be located and closed down.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds