Hard Drive Full In Win7 Home Version

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bignich49, Jul 25, 2017.

1. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

I haven't been here since '11 when you all helped my through issues, a big thanks.

So, now I have a Lenovo small desk top running win 7 home version with a 160 gig HDD with about 600 meg remaining. I've done everything I know to free up this much space. Removing unneeded programs and such. I also have an external drive that is filling up too. My problem is I have thousands of photos dating back about 10-12 years. My filing system is sort of a mess. I think my external HDD has some photos that aren't on my internal HDD and vice versa.

I did buy an internal 2 tb HDD that I'd like to install but I want to make sure I won't lose any stored photos first. I did try a backup on to my external drive a few days ago and it said it failed, I think due to lack of space. I deleted all but my latest stored back ups and I'm not even sure if its' 100% complete.

I think I need to make certain my backup has all my internal drives files. Then I can install my new internal HDD. Then transfer stuff from my external drive to the new internal HDD.

I'm unsure what steps to take and in what order to get this all done. I'm away from my home PC so there could be a delay in getting more infor. TIA!

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Some very useful tools from Just Playin, -
    With saving stuff, the hard drive needs more space than it seems at first hand, and other than trying to copy loads of files in very small amounts, it can be frustrating,
    I think copying the present 160gb hard drive to the 2tb hard drive would solve it all. Partition Wizard will do that
    In another thread, http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/bsod.316856/ Scroll down to last few replies where I have shewn how it is done I have indicated that using Partition Wizard , and a reasonable priced hard drive dock, as in that thread you could copy your hard drive, complete to the 2tb hard drive, and allow Partition Wizard to fit to whole of new hard drive-keeping Windows and other software, and pictures , too. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/minitool_partition_wizard_home_edition.html
    I hope you find this useful.
    [​IMG]

bignich49 likes this.
  4. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

I ordered a HDD dock last night. I didn't even know they existed. Thanks for the suggestion, looks like the easiest solution. Soon I'll need a larger external HDD as well.

baklogic likes this.
  5. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

I received my HDD dock today and tried unsuccessfully to transfer the data on my original HDD to my new one. First I read the instructions, then loaded the disc included. I put my new drive in the dock, followed instructions. I couldn't get the "new partition wizard" to load and walk me through the process. I loaded the disc several times to no avail. I then removed my original HDD and put it in the source slot and my new HDD in the target slot and followed the instructions. The LEDs are supposed to track the status through completion, they don't. After 20 minutes or so the LEDs go out indicating the cloning process is complete. I loaded my new HDD cloned from my original and can't get my system to boot. Tried cloning 3 times, doesn't work. To make matters worse, I've now lost my DVD drive when I access "Computer" and the door open button does nothing.

So, I think I need to get my DVD back, I'm running Win 7 home. I don't know why, if I put both drives in the dock I can't clone one from another. I can feel both drives working. My computer boots and runs as it should aside from my lost DVD drive with the original HDD reinstalled. My new dock is a Wavlink Communicator D3.

Any ideas?

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

There was a poor write-up Amazon for this model, first of all if using its own cloning system, check that it has the licence mentioned in thee manual - seems a frustrating model to use- At the following link, check the manual,- download it, if you have not got aa copy, just check for the driver for Windows 7.
    Two things-
    One - I would not use the software for the Wavelink, myself- I would use Partition Wizard, as I have always done so.
    Two - the fact that the hard drive is so full may possibly be hindering it, as I have found this can make things difficult. as you found, when trying to save some stuff .
    As I understand it, Windows has to make a temporary copy when copying, and this needs space, so , I would try the copying, using Partition Wizaard on a pc, that has sufficient space for what I understand is the temporary shadow copy. Your new hard drive will have sufficient space, but I m unsure bout your present hard drive- perhaps you could let me know how much free space it has.

Perhaps someone else might know more on that space required - If so, please feel free to add information.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry, I saw that you have only 600mb free.
    I assume you have tried making a system image, with the same outcome, to this 2tb hard drive.?

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

9. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

I've not tried to make a system image. I'm unfamiliar with doing that. I bought the Wavlink dock because of good reviews on Newegg site where I bought it. Also it is plug and play and is supposed to work just by loading original HDD with the new one with just the push of a button. I thought this would ultimately save me headaches because my HDD is near full. I'm attempting to download a drive from your link above. I tried from another Wavlink site but it doesn't work. I also sent an email to the mfg for factory support, that doesn't work either. I'll try again either tonight or tomorrow after work. Thanks!

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you have a pc/laptop that you can use ,other than the one you are trying to sort out, then using partition Wizard should do the job- NOT using the dulicator software, just startup Partition Wizard, with the hard drives in the dock, and switched on-just be sure you put the source hard drive in the correct slot, and th 2tb in the other.Don't switch the copy switch on, on the duplicator- just let Windows find it- Don't use the duplicator software.
    It is usually the duplicator software that does not like two different size hard drives, wheras Partition Wizard will copy any size to any size.
    The duplicator will still be handy tool to have in the cupboard, for reading off other hard drives, and transfering photos etc: from drive to drive using the duplicator and Windows own copy/cut and paste.-Even to save backups, if you wish,to another drive.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Unless you can remove about one and 1/2 to 2gb of stuff from your present 160gb disc,I don't feel you would be able to image it.But
    Go to control panel, backup an restore,. Click system image on top left, and follow the instructions.
    Windows will then ask where you want to store the backup by opening a window with a list of available drives. Select the drive you want to use and click the Next button.

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have been thinking, and I seem to have 10% figure in my head when it comes to free space on the hard drive for copying a hard drive, although bignich49 has not come back, perhaps someone else on majorgeeks may be able to confirm this - my memory is not always like it used to be.

13. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

I'm back, and will ultimately report success or failure when I'm done, won't leave you hanging. I've tried a few more times to clone which was unsuccessful. I tried to contact customer support in China using links for the product I bought's website and was unsuccessful as it was dead or under construction. I contacted Newegg and they were terrific in helping me forward a service inquery to the mfg. I They contacted me the next day, walked me thru the process and over a day or two determined I was doing everything right and the product must be defective. They offered me a refund, or replacement which I should receive any day. When I receive it I will try to clone and report back if if works or not.

I could use some more help getting my DVD drive back. I'm taking a needed break right now though. We'll resume shortly, thanks!

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I know you have a pretty full hard drive, and I have just been working on another thread, and I asked the poster to try Advanced system care.
    Now, the poster had C Ceaner, and another program that was thought to accomplish this, but, after using it, it was found to remove 4.5GB of stuff that was clogging up his system, so I would suggest that while you are waiting for your replaacement, that you install and run it- It may make a big difference
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/advanced_systemcare_10.html

15. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

I got home from work today and my Wavlink replacement had arrived. I anxiously opened the box removed my HDD from my desktop, plugged it and my new 2 TB replacement HDD in. Turned it on, everything seemed to work as it should and approx 30 minutes later I had a perfect clone which I'm using now. Still a couple of work arounds, 1) soon I'll consult you to help me get my lost DVD up and running again and my new 2TB HDD does not show up under "My Computer", my old full 160 GB HDD still shows up.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

16. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

I successfully cloned my new 2TB HDD and installed it yet I'm still getting "Low Disc Space" warnings and showing my HDD is still nearly full. My computer has not recognized that a much larger HDD has been installed and thinks the nearly full 160GB is still there.

What should I do?

17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you connected both hard drives- if so, shut down and disconnect the original 160gb hard drive.
    Whilst doing so check that the leads to the dvd drive are still properly connected- it is easy to loosen these when moving hard drives.
    Also check that the leads from dvd drive to th motherboard have not come loose.
    Sometimes, loosening and pushing leads back into place will be sufficient.
    Restart and see if the new hard drive is showing, and working o.k.
    If so, check if dvd drive is now working.
    --------------------------------------------------
    If everything is working, then the hard drive problem would suggest that the old 160gb hard drive is being picked up as the main hard drive.
    So, if replacing the 160gb hard drive, as a secondary hard drive, you may need to press f2, when starting to get into the bios, and choose the 2tb hard drive to start the pc.
    Come back and let us know-
    I have had family visiting from Canada, and not had much time to come on-line, but there are some excellent geks at majorgeeks, so someone else may help, if they are free.

18. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Further to baklogic's help...

If you cloned the 160GB disk onto a 2TB drive the partition created on the larger drive will be the same size that it was on the smaller drive; around 160GB. You will need to run a program like
    Aomei Partition Assistant 6.3 to increase the size of the partition.

Good luck,
    s.

baklogic likes this.
  19. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

I'll try the partition assistant, thanks.

It looks like it can do a lot more than I need. Any tips? All I want to do is be able to use my new 2TB HDD, nothing more. I'm unfamiliar with all the stuff it can do.

Thanks

20. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As Stephan_c16 says, if you have cloned the hard drive with something other than the one I suggested(Partition Wizard), you probably have that exact problem.
    In Partition Wizard, you can choose to fit all partitions to the whole of the new hard drive, and that automatically sorts that problem out.
    To adjust the partitions, you have to be careful.
    It should be similar in most partitioning software, but would you ,first of all upload a picture of the hard drive partitions, so that we can help you through it.
    Basically you have to extend, and/or shrink volumes and move them to suit- your picture would help us to ensure you do it fairly quickly.
    To enable you to see what needs to be done, look at this- just to get the idea, before you start
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html

21. Stephen_c16

Let me assume that you now only have your 2TB HDD attached to your pc and that you are booting from it.

If you open the Partition wizard and click on C: drive under Disk 1.
    On the left there is a list of operations. Extend partition Wizard should guide you through the process.
    When you finish the process click on the Tick/Apply icon on the top left of the page.

It has been a while since I used this program so I looked up a Youtube tutorial;
    Increase partition size of C drive with AOMEI Partition Assistant

I hope that will bring you closer,
    Best wishes,
    s.

22. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

What you need to do , is, as Stephen_c16 says, but you need to see only the C: DRIVE, AND NO OTHERS-
    i.e - Any other partition on that drive, if you have one, may need to be moved to create space behind the C: partition. (sometimes a recovery partition)
    If you only have a C: partition, then no problem- so your hard drive should show as , --About 100mb partition for system files, and C:160gb, then unallocated space of around 1840gb.
    If this is the situation then, you can use Windows own disc management to extend C: partition, if you wish
    Probably easier for you, than other methods-
    I am on Windows 10, at the moment, so I cannot upload today from my system. My Windows 7 is on a spare hard drive .(my multi boot system)

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  23. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

Thanks to you both, I got it successfully done in just a couple of minutes. I'll try next to get my DVD back, time allowing. I'll fool with it a bit in the next few days and report back if I need help.

Thanks again to you both, you've been very helpful.

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  24. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Your 'lost' DVD- When you were moving hard drives, it was possible that you have a loose lead- either at the rear of the dvd connections, or,on the motherboard.
    I would check these before anything else- That was something we probably all did in our early days, Just check they are all making proper contact- a loose, one will be my guess, as it was working O.K before the hard drive full problem.

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  25. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

I checked the wiring plug in terminals, nothing was upset. I read where I can uninstall and reinstall but nothing is there to uninstall. I look at a couple of online supposed fixes for win 7 but they didn't help or are too involved for me to try right now. I'd think unplugging, plugging back in the DVD while the computer was shut down may help, but it did not.

26. Stephen_c16

Have you had a look in disk management? The bottom section of the right hand side 'box' displays the disk drives attached to your pc; including DVD/CD-ROM drives.
    You get to Disk Management in Windows 7;
    The easiest way to access Windows 7 Disk Management:
    Right click "Computer"→ select "Manage" → Get the new control panel, open "Storage" and choose "Disk Management" in submenu, and then you will get the Disk Management...

If the DVD drive is visible in the lower box you might have to allocate it a drive letter; Right click on it and follow the instructions.

I hope this is some help
    Good luck,
    s.

27. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If Stephen_c16, s suggestion does not work-
    Try add new hardware-----Control panel-add new hardware, and see if Windows will find it, and install.
    More ways to try, from Microsoft-first one is a device and hardware fix.....and is a direct download for it from Microsoft -it will download as you click it.
    http://aka.ms/diag_device
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...s-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970908/how-to-use-microsoft-easy-fix-solutions

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  28. bignich49

bignich49 Private E-2

I see a drive in the lowest box that says "Removable Drive" (F), I right click on it, and it shows Canon IP6000D. That's my printer. Nothing listed as a DVD, It's gone. I must have accidently deleted it when I was getting rid of programs and such I didn't use much to try to get more disc space.

29. Stephen_c16

I used to have a ip6000d. It has a Compaq flash card reader.
    I would try running the first link that baklogic attached in thread #27

As a matter of interest if you were to open device manager...
    In the Start Menu Search box, type device manager and then press enter.

Click on the sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM drives.
    Is there an exclamation mark?
    s.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds