128 or 256Mb Video Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Warcat14, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Warcat14

Warcat14 Private E-2

Does it make a real difference between it? because this card I want to buy has 256mb memory, but is € 249,-
    and the 128mb version is exacly: € 179,-

What should I do, and what is the best to keep it running good for a year?

The card I have now is a MSI FX5900XT, and Battlefield runs ok with low settings!
    Specs...: Pentium 4 3.0GHz @ 3.28GHz 800MHz bus and HT enabled
    512MB Memory
    Windows xp Pro
    (if more is needed, just ask!)

2. Warcat14

Warcat14 Private E-2

I only play games at a resolution of 1024 -768. and I don't use any aa or fs

3. Olley

Olley Sergeant

there is no big difference in performance.. so go for the cheaper one.
    this subject has been covered in this forum btw

4. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Opt for the 128 and use the left over money to buy another 512 stick of memory, then you'll see a better improvement ;)

5. Warcat14

Warcat14 Private E-2

Thanks for the information, I'll do!! ;)

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Newer games run much better with more video RAM. Doom 3, for example, requires 512MB of video RAM in order to use the maximum quality settings.

7. Olley

Olley Sergeant

"Newer games run much better with more video RAM. Doom 3, for example, requires 512MB of video RAM in order to use the maximum quality settings"
    thats what they say but its not true.. i play it on max details and AA + AF and only have half as much on my vid card

8. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

I think what da chickn means is "ultra quality" whare the textures are uncompresed using a lot of ram....if you have a lot of fast system ram the textures will be held in the AGP apature insted of Vram with out slowing every thing down...

9. Olley

Olley Sergeant

i know.. try it.. there is no difference in performance on my machine if i set it on Ultra or only High.. there wasnt even any difference back when i had my fx 5200..granted it didnt run smooth but the fps was the same on both settings
    (they are both 256mb cards by the way)

10. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

More Vram( more then 128 ) in mainly a gimmic ( 128MB vs. 256MB ~10FPS dif. and not worth the extra $ ) ..like PCI express ..( the dif. from 8X agp and 16X PCIexpress is ~5FPs )...but that doesnt mean that thare wont be games on the way that will take advantage of it...but todays games just dont need it.....

Da chicken: i beleave that doom 3 sais that it needs 512Mb of texture memory not video memory ( thare being a big dif. [​IMG] ).....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds