160 GB, FAT32 partitioned Maxtor HD Dying....gone...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dallaslady, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Dallaslady

Dallaslady Private E-2

:rolleyes: Ok, folks. I've searched the FAQ's and no answers are forthcoming there. I'm a newbie in here, so please have patience with me. I have a 40 GB Maxtor (which I'm having to use again...thank goodness I hadn't reformatted it), purchased a 160 GB 7200 with 8MB cache...a jewel for me. Anyway, I leave home with computer on, come back home that evening and the computer is off. It would not boot up. After going online on my school laptop, I went to Maxtor, did the diagnostic thingy and discovered that the drive is failing. Now....I took it to my son's home, it put it in and Windows actually sees the drive, just thinks it is unformatted. My question now is this....how do I get files off of it without having to pay $1,000? Is "Uneraser" a possible solution, or is that only data recovery for deleted files, not for a dying hard drive? I know I over road the XP formatting and did the FAT 32 instead of NTSC. But, Windows didn't see that, only NTSC. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Dallaslady

Dallaslady Private E-2

NTFS....I REALLY feel like a newbie now...sorry for the mistake. I was tired and it really didn't look right. In the meantime, I still have the problem. Any help or suggestions? Thanks...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds