1st a hearty thanks! 2nd-Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jsays1, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Jsays1

Jsays1 Private E-2

Thank you for this site and the help you gave me in ridding my home computer of malware.

I have another situation and hope you can suggest a solution for me. I work in a retail store and we have a laptop available for customers to demo the aircard we sell. The laptop is secured to a base, so it can't be stolen, but what I find is people like to change the settings on the device as pranks.

For example, they change the default browser, change the language, reset Google to a different country location, change the display etc. Not too malicious, but annoying.

Is there any Window XP settings I can use to block customers from changing default settings? I just want the customers to be able to web surf, but do nothing else. Is a parental control package what I need?

Thanks for your help.

Jill

2. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

The definitive answer is to make them just users and use group policy objects to deny them all other rights.

There is also software out there that will do it all for you. We use Deep Freeze on some machines which lock the system so even if things get modified as soon as you restart it reloads to the state when it was frozen.

3. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

:cool

Welcome to MajorGeeks, Jsays1.

Thanks for letting us know our procedures and other info found here helped you clean up your pc!

*To add to abz1nthe's suggestions -

A free download from Microsoft - Windows SteadyState

dr.m

4. abz1nthe

huh didn't know Microsoft had a free product like that o_O Thanks for the info. doc

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Welcome to MajorGeeks Jsays! :wave

Dr. M, nice program you linked to! I had no idea they had that. It would have been handy at my old job! :-D

6. dr.moriarty

;)

You're both welcome, abz & Fred!

I've been doing some researching... to prevent my gf from doing a FUBAR to my set-up --- she's a bit "click happy"! :cry

7. Jsays1

Jsays1 Private E-2

Thanks again for the super suggestions. The SteadyState program is exactly what I need, doesn't cost the company anything and simple to use.
    You guys are the best!

8. dr.moriarty

I'm glad we could give you some quick help again, Jill!

[​IMG]

9. abz1nthe

Your welcome Jsays.. I am glad I decided to check the thread out because of Doc's awesome suggestion for SteadyState.. That program is going to replace DeepFreeze on all our Wireless Laptop labs :)

10. dr.moriarty

:highfive

Thanks for your feedback, abz -- glad to know you've chosen it for your IT work.

dr.m

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds