2/16 Colour driver problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by weeian, Oct 26, 2005.

1. weeian

weeian Private E-2

I recently had windows uninstalled and reinstalled on my puter. (Win98SE)

The problem is that I now only have a choice of either 2 or 16 colours on my screen whereas before I scrubbed the machine I had 4 gazillion colours, well loads anyway.

I am told that I need to DL a particular driver or drivers to sort this problem out. There my knowledge ends on this subject.

Do I need a driver or drivers? What ones? How do I find them? Do they automatically install and run when downloaded or do I need to make adjustments after downloading?

Help would be greatly appreciated guys and girls.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Weeian, welcome :)

First off a few questions to get the ball rolling......

What Windows version ( or Linux ) are you using?
    What Motherboard or CPU do you have?
    What Graphic Card do you have?

to aid you in finding these answers, download this Everest ( free ) install and run it, then click Computer > Summary and you will find the answers for my questions in that list.

Then we will be able to aim you to the correct drivers, as you have re-installed the Operating System its most likely you will also need the Chipset/Motherboard drivers as these aid other drivers to be found and installed correctly.

3. weeian

weeian Private E-2

Halo, firstly thanks for your assitance in this matter.

I have taken the answers to our queries from Everest so here goes...

Microsoft Windows 98SE (excuse the full title lol)
    CPU Type AMD K6-2, 550 MHz (5.5 x 100)
    Motherboard ID 51-1227-001169-00111111-071599-41E_43C$MS5191-T99_A5191MS V1.5 122799 TIME COMPUTER SYSTEMS (383J01GB2)
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Video Adapter Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)

OK, I can't see anything relating to a graphics card as such so I have included the Video Adapter details as a guess as this is what I have been told I need a driver for. If there is a graphics card is there any other way to find out it's details? I can't see it under the computer/summary section in Everest.

Thanks again, looking forward to sorting this out, these 16 colours are really starting to give me a headache!!!!!

4. DavidGP

DO you not have any driver CDs that came with PC weeian? ... just would save a small bit of time hunting down the correct driver as Time/Tiny Computers went bust this summer so their webby site is not running anymore for info :(

Only driver I have come across for that Motherboard ( which is a MSI 5191 ) is this http://www.bios-drivers.co.uk/drivers/115/115784.htm

Download here ( if this link doesnt work let me know and I will upload it onto the net somewhere easy for you to get it from )
    http://members.driverguide.com/dire...0439714&auth=48607df82cf8133e1ec103a710812f0c

5. weeian

weeian Private E-2

Halo, now tha you ask, i have found a driver CD that came with the computer. The computer was given to me by a family member ad TBH I don't really know what some of the stuff that came with it is!

Anyways, I have a CD titled "Time Computer Systems - System & Driver CD". It professes to contain 'a complete copy of all of the drivers required for hardware devices on your machine....'

I have put it in the machine and can't make any sense of it TBH. The instructions on the CD are that I should click 'Begin Transfer' but when I do that I get a message saying 'unable to locate a list of drivers for this system You should manually browse the Driver CD yourself and install them from the driver CDROM'. This is where I am baffled and can't continue cause I don't know what to do next lol

I DL'd that driver that you gave me the link for and ended up with read only files all over my desktop!!! Obviously I have DL'd to the desktop by mistake but the driver has also DL'd to the program files section in the C Drive?? Will the driver just run itself or do I have to do something with it now that I have DL'd it??? Anh how the heck can I get this crap off my desktop!!

Sorry I'm so crap with this technical stuff BTW, look forward to your further assitance, thanks in anticipation.

6. DavidGP

weird, all I got when downloading that file was 1 file, which is the driver installer, you didnt choose "open" rather than "save" when downloading... which would have installed them on the desktop and locked them as in use?

to remove those files either goto add/remove and look for the ATi graphic card ( could say Rage 3D ) and uninstall it.

or use this app to remove each one of them http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/bin/moveonb.exe

IF you have the Driver CD then that is better, so next up is finding the correct driver, when you open the CD what folder options are you given?

7. weeian

weeian Private E-2

Halo, I cant find the graphics card thing or rage 3d in my programs so couldnt uninstall. As for the DL I am assuming that I enter the names of the files that are on the desktop? If so then I'm in trouble cause I get the feeling there are quite a few of them. As yuo said I mistakeny opened the file to my desktop. I did get the driver DL'd I think, its in my programs file.

Anyways, I can worry about removing the crud after I get the colour sorted out if thats ok?

The driver CD... hmmmmmm...this is a strange one...... I put the CD in and I get a grey window popup entitled Driver CD 9.0. There a sub box for want of a better phrase that is titled 'transfer drievrs to local hardware'. In that sub box there are two fields for me to enter information, the information requested is 'current file' and 'new directory' and as I say there is a field beside each for me to enter information. Then theres the option that I mentioned earlier 'Begin Transfer'. When I click information I get another grey windoy with the tabs along the top. The options there are 'Version' ' Manuals' 'Transferring Drivers' and 'Printers' ad if I click in any of the tabs there is simply some more information.

The strangest thing about this CD is that to me tehre seems to be absolutely nothing on it. I have lokoed a few times and opened every tab and button available and there is basically nothing no options other than those two fields that I mentioned. Obviously not knowing what to put in either of those fields has precluded me from doing anything there.

I hope you can help here. Does this sound like a normal driver CD? I am miffed that there are no options when it opens up, especially as when I click begin transfer as the CD says I sould do and I get the message telling me to browse the CD??? I can't find any function that allows me to browse the CD!!

Look forward to your reply.

8. weeian

weeian Private E-2

Halo, I got all those files off the desktop and I seem to have uninstalled that download that you gave me as well. I can always download it again if we need it.

Cheers mucker.

9. DavidGP

If you pop the CD in and this time close the window the CD opens up down then right click your CD in My Computer and choose Open ( this is like browsing the CD contents ), this will give you a folder/directory listing, in their are there any folders named..... eg. Display, Graphic?

yes I can upload that driver file online so you can download it.

10. weeian

weeian Private E-2

Halo, I have right clicked and opened the CD (easy when you know how lol)

There are a few files in the directory and yes Display is one of them. 'Sound' also has a file. I dont seem to haev any sound on the machine either since I scrubbed it!

OK, what do we with these folders/files?

11. DavidGP

In the Display Folder what are the files called ( also do same for Sound )?

12. weeian

weeian Private E-2

The files in the display folder are; ATI 524, ATI 540, ATI Rage 128VR, CTX Notebook, Micro ATX 5598, MSI nVIDIA TNT M64, and Trident 8400AGP.

And in the sound folder; Creative 1371PCI 64V, Creative 1373PCI 128V, Creative 1373PCI 64V, CTX Notebook, Ess 1869, Fifa 99 Patch, MSI EX Yamaha, Sound Blaster Live 1024, VIA FIC Vt686a.

Cheers.

13. DavidGP

14. weeian

weeian Private E-2

Woops, dunno if I;ve done the right thing here or not Halo! I have installed what I think is the driver for the colour and I now have a far healthier display on screen. My colours have gone from 16 to 256 but the screen display still isn't as clear as it was prior to the compuetr being wiped. I installed from inside the file for the driver you mentioned for colour, there was something in there called 'Atisetup'. I used it to install. Firstly, have I did the right thing? and secondly, can I improve on 256 colours back to what ever it was before or is 256 my lot??

Will I do the same for the sound driver?

15. DavidGP

yes you did right... that would have been the executable file for the driver, yes on sound.

Right click anywhere on the desktop and choose properties > Settings and see if you can adjust the color quality?

16. DavidGP

17. weeian

weeian Private E-2

I have adusted the colour to High Colour 16 bit and it seems perfect. Sound is working as well. As for the driver you linked too I think I'm just gonna leave well enough alone now that the machine's workin properly again.

You're a real diamond Halo, can't thank you enough for your help, ta very much. Good luck. ;)

18. DavidGP

Grand stuff weeian, glad all is back to normal :)

Belfast is great city and I always look forward to my trips their... back in a few weeks to Queens Uni :)

19. weeian

weeian Private E-2

The people here are really friendly, sure we have our share of ass holes like anywhere else but on the whole a very hospitable bunch who just like to party and have fun!

I hope you enjoy the trip mucker, good luck and thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds