2.5" hard drive "almost" dead...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NovaBandit, Dec 28, 2010.

1. NovaBandit

NovaBandit Private E-2

I have a 2.5" drive out of a laptop that is almost dead. It bluescreens when trying to start up with "NO_BOOTABLE_VOLUME".

I pulled the drive, and plugged it into my Windows 7 box with a ide-usb cable. Sometimes the drive will show up, but it often just hangs explorer.exe.

I have also plugged it into my Macbook Pro, and I was actually able to open the drive and copy 3-4 files off of it before it hangs.

Are there any good bits of software that will help me get more files off?

Are there any hardware solutions for recovering data from dying drives that the OS can't deal with?

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Difficult if the drive is hanging on Windows and a MAC, but just wondering if you can boot into Windows in Safe Mode and then see if you can recover more data, less running apps in Windows the better,

Could also try the trial of Acronis True Image HERE and isntall in Windows PC, then create the bootup CD, then boot to the bootup CD (may need to change the BIOS boot order for 1st boot device CD/DVD drive) and try and see if Acronis will create and image of your documents and crucial folder areas files to a different HDD or External HDD, this method worked for a colleagues PC in work.

Then if it does you can open up that image directly (Acronis Image files allow you to open them up like a normal folder to explore the contents) and cut and paste your files out in to normal folder areas.

3. NovaBandit

NovaBandit Private E-2

It took a few tries, but I was able to boot the laptop with Hiren's Boot CD (in Mini Linux Mode) and copy the majority of the files to a flash drive.

Thanks!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds