2 Ethernet Ports?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eddie Dean, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Eddie Dean

Eddie Dean Private E-2

On my Asus Sli mobo why is there a need for a second ethernet port?

Thanks in advance..

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Depends what you will be using the machine for. If you are just connecting it to a network, or modem...you should only need one.

If on the off chance you're going to run linux (for example) and configure it to do routing or act as a firewall, you would need 2 - 1 for the modem, and 1 to connect a switch to (for the rest of the network) .... basically you will need two if you want the machine to be inline with the network. (my examples are poor, I know)

Chances are you're not doing that so, you should be fine with 1.

3. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

To take Mada's statement and dumb it down, here goes:
    Normal people have an external router, and dont need one computer to have as a hub for a network.
    Some companies use 2 ethernet ports to have all their computers connected directly in line.

Most home set-ups use a connection from Internet-Router-Multiple PC's

Your PC is set up so that it can go in line Internet-PC-PC-PC-PC-PC-etc...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds