2 external hard drive problems help plz!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tyoung87, Jan 20, 2010.

1. tyoung87

tyoung87 Private E-2

hey i have 2 external hard drives, both dont let me access anyfiles any more, one of them u can see in device manager as mass storage device, the other it doesnt appear at all.. please any ideas? thanks

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to try them on a different computer to compare if you get the same results.

3. tyoung87

tyoung87 Private E-2

oh sorry, iv done that, and have pluged in to all of the USB ports

4. tyoung87

tyoung87 Private E-2

anyone know?

5. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

On the one that does show up as a "mass storage device" - are you able to access the properties of the device, or can you "open" it at all?

6. tyoung87

tyoung87 Private E-2

i can go to properties but i cant open it from my computer

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Right-click on "My Computer" and choose "manage". Then on the left hand side of the window that opens choose "disk management". Have a look and see if your device is in the list here.

8. tyoung87

tyoung87 Private E-2

it says disk 3 unknown not initialized

9. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Try initialising it. Right-click where it sayst unknown not initialised and click "Initialise".

10. tyoung87

tyoung87 Private E-2

it says the device is not ready, i tried both MRB, and teh GPT

11. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

All i can think of now is for you to remove the drives from the external cases and try them directly in the computer. However, this involves invalidaing the warranty on both the drives and the computer (if they still have one) and requires some willingness to open up the drives and computer.

12. tyoung87

tyoung87 Private E-2

yeah iv already takn them out of teh cases, but i dont have a desktop anymore, and one is a SATA, is there a way to try to get tehm on a laptop?

13. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Not without an eSATA port.

Maybe taking the drives to a data recovery company is your best bet. As they are not destroyed you may get a cheper package to recover the data.

14. tyoung87

tyoung87 Private E-2

thanks for the info

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds