2 lan cards and internet sharing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neiffee9211, Nov 18, 2009.

1. neiffee9211

neiffee9211 Private E-2

HI to all.

i have two lan card in my pc. one used for internet connection. i want to use other lan card(built-in i think) for giving internet sharing to other or linux machine pc etc. is it possible? plz guide..............so thanks.

2. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

Yea it's possible. What OS are you using on the machine connected to the internet (to be shared from)?

3. neiffee9211

neiffee9211 Private E-2

thanks man. m using XP.

4. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

I'll use my setup as an example although it may be a little bit different. I have xp at home connected wireless. So say that is your first local area connection for your case. I then have a cross over cable plugged from my ethernet port (local area connection 2 for you) into my xbox. From the first connection right click go to properties and it gives you the option to share. The 2nd ethernet port plug into your other computer with a cross over. I gave it a static ip although I don't know if you need that on the 2nd connection that is plugged into the xbox. Let me know if that helps and I can help you futher when I get home.

5. neiffee9211

neiffee9211 Private E-2

so thanks mate. i did as. so is it or not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

That's exactly how I did it. Except of course mine was a shared wireless which shouldn't make a difference. Did you use a cross over cable to connect the computers? Is it working?

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

If you share the connection connected to the internet XP should automatically assign a static IP address to the second connection. It should also list the first connection as shared in Network Connections.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds