2 power supplies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J J, Aug 18, 2005.

1. J J

J J Corporal

will a standard load resistor work for running a computer with two power supplies imasking cause my ps isnt powerfull enough for my comp and i just want to run two power suplies instead of buying a new one is this possible?

2. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

I guess it is, you could use one hard disk for the hard drives, cd/dvd drives and the other for the mainboard/video card(s).

3. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

I have done that run one PSU for every thing but the mobo and one ( volt moded ) to run the mobo ...Thare is one small problem thow ....how to turn them both on at once...

4. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

For ATX PSU, one you can set it like normal on Mobo, the other take 2 wire Black and Green ( for standard PSU base on the color) from 20 or 24 connect to the Green and Black wire of the first PSU plus into Mobo so when you put power button on 2 PSUs will work... ;)

5. J J

J J Corporal

i just figured that out thanks anyways

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'd love to see a pic of this setup,keeping the wires tidy with one psu is a pain :rolleyes:

7. J J

J J Corporal

lets put it this way i had to take off both side pannels and the roof i set the power suppy in place and electrical tape held it inplace and u could not even see my mobo through the wire thank god it was only a temporary thing now i got my thermaltake psu the PurePower 480W Butterfly Series it real nice

8. ACE 256

Iv tryed that once ( green power on wire to green power on wire and ground to ground ) fryed both PSUs and the mobo ! It sounds like it whould work but it dosent... Then again it could be something to do with the PSUs i tryed...

9. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Oh my god... :rolleyes:
    So sorry hearing about that. As I said for standard ATX PSU on color wires, for other PSU we should know power on wires color most of the PSU have their own basic color wire such as Compaq, Dell, ......

10. J J

J J Corporal

actualy to do it you have to connect TWO SPECIFIC wires if u hold the 20 pin plug with the clip UP you connect the 4th and 6th wires together with a lets say paper clip and only those wires or u get the ZAP EFFECT :eek:

11. J J

J J Corporal

i just figured out why urs did that. Its because u messed up your wireing, its supposed to be PSU1-green wire to PSU2-black wire and then PSU2-green wire to PSU1-black wire and yes i have tesed it the both turn on and no ZAP EFFECT

12. ACE 256

Thare is no way to wire it wrong.....green to ground its all the same both PSUs share a common ground ( ether throu your case our thou the house ground ) so if both greens are conned to ground thay are conned to each other as well so no matter how you connect it its: both greens are connected to each other and connected to common ground....( the black wires are ground )

Its not 2 specific wires...... its green ( power on ) to ANY ground lead ( black wire )

13. J J

J J Corporal

o nevermind u dont get it

14. Rikky

To start a power supply you have to touch and hold a connection from the green wire to ANY BLACK GROUND WIRE,to run them at the same time you need your motherboard to make the connection electronically when you press your power switch,so ground the power supplies together by joining 2 of the black wires,then bare part of the green wire on the power supply that goes into your motherboard and connect the two green wires together,when you press your power switch now both power supplies should come to life :eek:

15. ACE 256

What doint i get ??? enlighten me.....The case IS the black wire ..The PSU cases ARE both of the black wires ...

Attached Files:

16. Rikky

with that configuration you would manually have to start and shutdown the second psu,if you connected both green wires while the 2 psu's were earthed with only one going to the mobo,the regular power switch would start/stop them both up simultaneously

17. ACE 256

Thats exactly how i had it set up....and it killed both PSUs and the mobo...

Attached Files:

18. Rikky

It could be the mobo has to draw too much current through the relay to keep both psu turned on?The only thing the mobo does in the latter diagram is act like an electronic paper clip "bridge" to tell the psu's to stay on,the only part that can fry is the relay in the mobo :confused:

BTW nice diagrams ;)I'll fire up google ;)

19. Rikky

yeh seems you need another mod to trick the second psu into thinking its plugged into a mobo by grounding out the grey wire,heres the link

http://www.picard.demon.co.uk/atx.htm

heres the pic

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  20. J J

J J Corporal

21. Rikky

I cant make any sense of that diagram m8,you dont have psu 1 connected to anything,you also have your wires labeled basckwards,black is ground - and green is live + and from the description you wrote at the side you have psu 1 ground"black" connected to psu 2 live"green",this would just cause a current feedback loop,it would get hot until something fried :confused:

22. ACE 256

PS1s ATX connecter is inlarged and has PS2s green and black ....with that settup PS2 will run 24 7 and when you turn on the mobo ( PS1 ) bad things will happen........Inless you isolated PS1 and PS2 from grounding each other....and neather are using the house ground.....

23. J J

J J Corporal

well it worked for me thats all i no

24. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

This is completely doable. Matter of fact, just until last Friday I was runnin' 2 PSU's together. Basically you are "Daisy Chaining" them together act as one fuctioning unit. Very similar to what's done with stereo amps to gain lower ohms.

25. zepper

zepper Corporal

Yes, connecting The green wire (remote power on) on the 2nd PSU to the green wire on the first should do it - assuming you have grounded the 2nd PSU to your case with some heavy wire as all grounds are the same.
    . It is wise to add dummy loads to the positive voltage circuits of the 2nd PSU that you won't be using (like the 3.3V, 5VSB) a 1 or 2 Amp load on the 3.3 should be plenty (3.3 or 1.6 ohms at 10Watt) and a .5 Amp load on the 5V (10 ohms at 5 Watts). The PSU will run more stable.

. The power good signal is from your PSU to the mobo which causes the mobo to do a reset when all voltages are in range. It is a one-shot deal.
    . DO NOT connect the Power Good signal (gray wire) to ground! That is a short and might damage the power good circuit in the 2nd PSU.

.bh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds