2 Problems with Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) on shutdown/boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by dpz700, Feb 19, 2008.

1. dpz700

dpz700 Private E-2

Hello all,

I've ran into a problem with svchost.exe after using winsockxpfix.exe as suggested by other members of this forum to assist with another problem I had been having.

First of all, everything had been running fine (except for my other problems with the network) up until I used winsockxpfix.exe from this site and ran a reg cleaner afterwards (the windows live one that I've always been using and never caused trouble previously).
    Now, each time I boot up my laptop, I get 1-2 error messages (besides several drivers stopping to work and requiring reinstalling). The first one always occurs:

Code:
    Generic Host Process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    mod: ntdll.dll
    offset: 0x00018fea
    Files sent to microsoft (they are found in the temp folder according to the report):
    Code:
    svchost.exe.mdmp
    appcompat.txt
    The second one occurs most of the time but not always:
    Code:
    Data execution prevention has stopped Generic Host Process for Win32 services for security reasons.
    Closing that message down, I get another error that I can send off:
    Code:
    Generic Host Process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    This one is different from the former as it doesn't have an offset or mod. It lists a lot of different Ps though (P1-P9)
    All of those Ps are zeroed out except P8 and P9:
    Code:
    P8: c0000005
    P9: 00000008
    When sending it off, it includes the same files as above:
    Code:
    svchost.exe.mdmp
    appcompat.txt
    While both these issues occur at getting to my desktop after logging in, the former seems to be genuine for the boot while the latter seems to stem from sometime when I was shutting windows down, although not the last time: The one I got this morning was from 17:38 yesterday according to the report and not from 0:12.

Two other things that are noteworthy is firstly that ever since I ran winsockxpfix.exe, while logging in is quick as usual, it takes up to 2 minutes for my user to actually be logged in (task manager shows all the tasks running as having no user assigned to them except for system tasks). And secondly, that my OS is in German while winsockxpfix.exe was in English. I was reassured by the other members that it would be safe to use though.

My specs:
    Dell Inspiron 9400
    Intel Core Duo T7400 @2.16GHz
    2GB SD DDR 433 MHz RAM
    256MB NVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS
    160GB SATA Fujitsu MHY2160BH
    Windows XP Pro MCE 2005
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection card

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. dpz700

dpz700 Private E-2

Something else I noticed and forgot to mention is that my sound stopped working after this occured as well. I have to reinstall my sound driver each time I start up windows to get windows to recognize my sound card, and in msconfig, there is now a new element listed under systemstart:

Code:
    Element: dumprep 0 -u
    Command: %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
    Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CurrentVersion\Run

3. dpz700

dpz700 Private E-2

Sorry for multiposting, but I can't edit my earlier posts.

A few things I found out while investigating a bit more:
    - The offset for one of the problems is not 0x00018fea as I posted but 00018fea. (i.e. without 0x)
    - The time shown on start up is not stemming from the last shut down of windows but actually the last startup of windows
    - The dumprep entry was automatically added after I tried running svchost manually and can be ignored.

Still needing your much appreciated help!

4. tinefesi

tinefesi Private E-2

I have the exact same problems, you described them very well. Except that I think it started when I installed a printer(?) I've never heard of the winsock thing. I see that you posted this 3 years ago, but if you or anyone else has figured out the solution I would REALLY appreciate some help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds