2 programs no longer run at Windows startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by tritonobx, Aug 6, 2007.

1. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I found a workaround by placing their shortcuts in the docs/settings startup folder, thereby creating new global startup entries. I want them to run at startup without using the startup folder. They are PCMService.exe (Dell Media Experience) and igfxtray.exe (Intel Graphics tray icon). If someone can give me specific steps for a registry or other fix, or a similar topic post with a solution, thank you. I posted about the tray icon a few days ago but now want to open these executables without the workaround I described above.

2. haritvm

haritvm Private E-2

Hi

Is PCmService a service ? , if so, you have to install it as a service rather than adding to startup.

Google about adding to the below keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Any application path placed in this location will start when any user logs into Windows.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Any application path placed in this location will start when the current user for this key logs into Windows.

Hari

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2007
  3. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks. No, it's not actually a service, but an application. That's how Dell has named this .exe file that opens Dell Media Experience. I think I can take it from here based on your post and the edit. I'll come back and post if necessary.

4. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Do I actually do this task in the registry location? I can find the locations, no problem. Just a brief explanation on how would help, ie, how to place those paths in the aforementioned registry locations. And thanks again.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I'm pretty sure the intel graphics utility has a tick box somewhere to start with windows.

It is always better to use the 'official' route where possible.

I don't know about the Dell Media Experience, because I am normally called upon to remove it! However I would be suprised if it also didn't have a tick box.

6. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the tips on the tick boxes. I've looked all around but to no avail. The purpose for wanting igfxtray.exe to run at startup is to display the tray icon upon every startup, if the tray icon box is checked...which is my preference. I run a tight pc, and I still havent discovered what event removed these two items from running at startup.

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Go to the Desktop Properties > Settings >Advanced > Intel Graphics Tab > Graphics Properties, then look for the "Show Tray Icon" setting......maybe.

Steve

9. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Assuming you still have the files themselves (i.e., you did not delete them) and you have them in the correct folders. The below should do what you want.

Now Copy the bold text below to notepad. Save it as fixME.reg to your desktop. Be sure the "Save as" type is set to "all files" Once you have saved it double click it and allow it to merge with the registry.

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I see other Geeks beat me to it.

Two points.

Firstly you have to enter the full path; check carefully that yours matches what Chas has written.

Secondly adding to the registry run box will only work if subroutines (services etc) that these programs depend on are available (also started).

11. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks everyone. Matacumbie, yes the tray icon option is there, but the .exe must run at startup in order for the icon to show in the tray at startup. It appears Chaslang's post is the method I was looking for. I'll post back with the final result when resolved.

12. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Resolved! With the registry fix posted by chaslang. All the posts shed light on the issue. There's no place...like MajorGeeks place!!!

13. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Chas always makes me look bad. :D

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds