2 windows xp operating sys. How do I remove the one that doesn't woork

Discussion in 'Software' started by gregc, Dec 2, 2007.

1. gregc

gregc Private E-2

while trying to fix windows xp I loaded a second operating system. How do I remove the original os?

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Once you are certain that you are now working off the new one, and have all the drivers etc in place, just delete it.

3. gregc

gregc Private E-2

Gee thanks. Can't be that easy. Delete it from where? How do I know the drivers are in place? Where do I find it? What about the partition that was created?
    In c: drive there are two "windows", WINDOWS and WINDOWS.0. Do I deleat one of these folders? How do I know which one? How do I remove it from the list when computer boots up? Thanks, Greg

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

In the root of your drive C there is a file called boot.ini.
    Make a copy of
    c:\boot.ini and rename the copy boot.txt

Then post it boot.txt here.

There is no rush and it is better to do this a small step at a time to make absolutely sure there is no doubt.

I would think that your original windows is in c:\windows and the new one in c:\windows0. You can compare their contents.

You will have to have loaded various drivers for your hardware after installing the second copy of windows. Did you also activate it?

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Don't know what happened to your last post Greg, I received notification that you couldn't edit Boot.ini

Actually that's easy
    right click on the file in explorer choose properties
    Untick the read only box
    click apply,

Don't forget to return it to ok read only when you finally finish.

6. gregc

gregc Private E-2

[Boot Loader]
    Timeout=5
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Setup"
    I believe your right. The original is WINDOWS ( broke, logs on and right back off) WINDOWS.0 (works ok but no sound).
    This last line is WINDOWS repair.(guess I need to deleat that one too. It is defaulted to boot).
    By the way, I couldn't figure out how to copy BOOT file as you said. I opened it up in note pad, highlighted it, right clicked then selected copy, then pasted it here. How do you copy and rename it? It was un checked as read only as default.
    Question. I loaded the windows repair after the unintentional loading of the second windows to repair the original. When I run the repair, it repairs the second windows. As it boots up it quickly passes a boot menu showing both WINDOWS os. If I was fast enough to select the other boot option, would it repair the oringinal Windows?
    Thanks, Greg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  7. gregc

gregc Private E-2

was no last post.

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Designers of an operating system publish certain standard commands and operations that any new hardware must recognise and conform to.
    That way the OS can gain partial access to hardware that is made after the OS has been distributed.

It is then up to the manufacturer to design software, known as drivers, to allow the OS full access for whatever purpose the hardware was made for. This software is obviously loaded after the OS is installed.

You almost always have to load drivers after an OS installation, or when you add new hardware.

You may need some motherboard drivers, sounds like (ha ha) audio drivers and perhaps video drivers. Many of these will be found in a folder called drivers in your old windows installation. You may have drivers CDs with the pc.
    Otherwise post details of your hardware for help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To create a copy of a file, select it in explorer, right click and choose copy, then paste. Explorer will create a copy in the same folder named 'copy of...'
    Right click again on this to rename.

Alternatively in notepad, choose file>saveas and use a different filename/extension. This will leave the original undisturbed.

'saveas' a copy of boot.ini as boot.old
    change timeout to 300 in the boot.ini
    save edited boot.ini
    This will give you enough time to choose and try your repair.
    If the repair doesn't work delete the line which reads ...windows...
    This will remove that option.

9. gregc

gregc Private E-2

O.K. the repair didnt work, repair files couldn't load cause I couldn't log in to load the files. So restarting the computer in second boot option loaded the repair again there.
    So in C: I rt clicked on windows folder,clicked delete. Would not delete, tryed again, same thing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds